just a few pictures

mrbb

cool pic of a flying squirrel<br> I have tons of them things here, and couldn;t tell you how many times I have seen them LAND on a  bear over the yrs!<br> and even the bears themselves seem shocked when they do, to the point they don't even bother them! HAHA!<br><br> it sure seems like them things don't have very good eye sight, considering how larger there eye's are!

xcr440

cool pic of a flying squirrel<br>*I have tons of them things here, and couldn;t tell you how many times I have seen them LAND on a* bear over the yrs!<br>*and even the bears themselves seem shocked when they do, to the point they don't even bother them! HAHA!<br><br>*it sure seems like them things don't have very good eye sight, considering how larger there eye's are!

When I had my cabin up north, as long as you did not walk directly right at them, going left and right slowly getting closer, you could get within a few feet. So close you could reach out and touch them before they would scatter..... Walk directly at them, and they would fly off before you got within 30 feet.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
mrbb-<br><br>It really is a treasure to have you on this discussion board. You always have such entertaining content to share! There is no doubt that the bears do not feel threatened by you, as at least one of the pictures was taken in the middle of the afternoon! Our bears are somewhat active in the afternoons, but it is rare for them to come into "human country" while still light out. <br><br>We now have at least 4 bears roaming our neighborhood (at least that people are seeing). The 2 year old has seemed to settle down a bit and has not caused too much mischief in the past month or so.<br><br>Thanks so much for the pics, knowledge and stories!<br><br>-John

mrbb

mrbb-<br><br>It really is a treasure to have you on this discussion board. You always have such entertaining content to share! There is no doubt that the bears do not feel threatened by you, as at least one of the pictures was taken in the middle of the afternoon! Our bears are somewhat active in the afternoons, but it is rare for them to come into "human country" while still light out. <br><br>We now have at least 4 bears roaming our neighborhood (at least that people are seeing). The 2 year old has seemed to settle down a bit and has not caused too much mischief in the past month or so.<br><br>Thanks so much for the pics, knowledge and stories!<br><br>-John
<br>
 well thanks for the kind words and appreciating<br>
I am glad to share these things with all here and always hope many enjoy what I add!<br><br>as for bears in day time, <br> here I get them at all hours of the day and night,  some of the reasons are ,  with so many bears here  , and so many food plots and food sources<br> bears here take turns eating and or just following each other around<br>so when one leaves another many times fills its spot<br> but I have noticed a lot of bears here have more set patterns or rotations on when there where!<br><br>as an example<br> many of my regulars , will show up for 2-3 days in a row at about the same time, then won't see them for 4-5 days, then they repeat , so I only really see  each bear , maybe 3 to 5 times a month<br> and when THERE not here, other bears will be, just on there own rotation<br> so, I typically have different bears here almost daily<br><br> but I also have some bears I only see every 1-2 months, they will show up for 2-3-4 days in a  row, and then GONE for weeks or even months, and some times even yrs!<br>bears just typically have HUGE home ranges, unless a super prime food source is able to maintain  them all yr!<br> even here, with all the easy meals from food plots and crops<br> many of my bears will go MIA for weeks at a time, just cause IMO< they like to stay in touch with other bears in other area;'s or just for change of scenery or looking for a NEW tastier meal<br> most always return to my area!<br>  <br>in recent yrs, a bigger reason bears go MIA on me, has been due to getting trapped and relocated!<br>as, so many more homes are being built and human expansion is happening here, more and more folks call the game dept and complain about bears<br> as the general public, has a larger fear of bears than anything!<br><br>and to make folks happy the game dept will set up traps, , so the public can see things happening and it also helps the game dept keep tab's on bear numbers in an area!<br><br> so, once trapped, in a  complaint area<br> typically they relocate the bear  , so the person/person's complaining can see they DID SOMETHING<br> but in most cases the average complainer doesn't have a clue that MOST bears moved, come right back!<br> it just takes them a while to do so<br> on average , moving bears from MY area ,  in the 70-100 miles away range<br> it takes them on average about 30 days to get back here<br> so, when a regular goes MIA<  many times its due to it got a ride someplace and needed some time to walk back HAHA!<br><br> to DATE< I do NOT know of a bear in MY area that was trapped more than twice, and w as felt it needed to be put down due to???<br>as in general, many times the game depts, rule of thumb is, if a PROBLEM bear gets trapped twice and returns to same area, , they will put it down over keep moving it<br><br> which is also, why its so strongly suggested NOT TO FEED beads and the saying a  fed bear is a dead bear<br><br>as a fed bear typically will keep coming back to the easy human foods!<br><br> its sort of last resort for most game depts<br> to do that, and in most states where they have lots of land to MOVE them, they will move farther away over the killing<br><br> but it comes down to many variables if being honest!<br><br>and if not too long already<br><br> MOST all Black bears typically get RUN out of there birth area by there mothers,  the second MAY of there live, when MOM comes back in heat again<br><br> so, in a normal environment, at the age of 1.5 more or less, a bear has to find there own home range<br><br> <br>