Just another day at the office

doo_dr

Most of the time there is an elevator inside the tower that takes them up at least 3/4 the way to the top. The top of the tower (can be as much as 400') is the antenna and not the tower. To erect the tower we use a piece of equipment called an gin pole. It looks like a tower section that is bolted along side of the tower and hoists the tower sections into place. Then you bolt it on and move the gin pole up for the next section. A tower this tall could take a couple months to erect.

I did a quick search and found that most of those guys make in the neighborhood of $41,000 a year. NOT WORTH IT TO ME!!! They definately have bigger balls than I!

booondocker

Most of the time there is an elevator inside the tower that takes them up at least 3/4 the way to the top. The top of the tower (can be as much as 400') is the antenna and not the tower. To erect the tower we use a piece of equipment called an gin pole. It looks like a tower section that is bolted along side of the tower and hoists the tower sections into place. Then you bolt it on and move the gin pole up for the next section. A tower this tall could take a couple months to erect.

I have news for YOU.... if this were left to me, it would take a whole lot longer than several months to build. I would have to have the whole thing enclosed with full walls, lots of lights, and no windows to peep out of. One story at a time....And once it was built, I would not be the one to disassemble the outer walls of the build up buildin....no sir!

One could easily say 50 feet or 1500 feet what's the difference! But to me...all of it is too much. Of course when I was a kid and had no fear...I did climb to the top of maples and oaks....a feat that I could not duplicate today.

skiroule

These towers spook me when I'm on the ground. I drive by the Shoreview towers every day, which are only a little over 1400 ft. but I can't imagine being at the top. I think I've had nightmares about being made to climb one.

doo_dr

IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1477.JPG For those who know the area, this pic is from the old broadcating tower in Sommerset WI pointing back at Dowtown Minneapolis. Aprrox 950' on the tower. I also have a pic that looks down at King Stacks 800' cooling tower. The tower is probably 20 miles to downtown.

Last edited:

freezinbevr

I think I will stick to the dirty crawl spaces, basements and attics I ''enjoy'' with HVAC. My fingers are tingling from just watching that!!

Doo dr, I can only imagine the type of guys who do that for a living. A little testosterone may be thrown around after a few on Fridays I'm guessing!?

arcticgeorge

Man unreal! i was looking at the video closely and my stomach started to feel bad/sick ! And the tools? cmon get a weather proof bag and leave them up there! lol

LivinLarge

Man unreal! i was looking at the video closely and my stomach started to feel bad/sick ! And the tools? cmon get a weather proof bag and leave them up there! lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't just leave tools laying around. Somebody will surely steal them!:). LOL!!!

doo_dr

I found a couple of a 440' we put up a few years back in the winter. This would bother climbers more than being 1500'. The grey portion in the pic is the gin pole. It is above the top of the tower to fly and install the sector mounts that the antennas are mounted on at the top of the tower.

955680-R1-08-10.jpg 955680-R1-13-15A.jpg

favoritos

I found a couple of a 440' we put up a few years back in the winter. This would bother climbers more than being 1500'. The grey portion in the pic is the gin pole. It is above the top of the tower to fly and install the sector mounts that the antennas are mounted on at the top of the tower.

View attachment 30906 View attachment 30907
Frost and ice along with the climb? I thought the video looked crazy with the storm clouds off in the distance, but . . . the conditions in those pics seem pretty hairy.

It is impressive what people do so I can make phone calls out in skiddersville.