Knee Replacement Surgery - Anyone?

Hey Mezz. Just looked at the cams up there, how you doing on the new wheels? Hope they are getting stronger. Cold in northern IL. Have some ice on the channel this morning.

mezz

Hangin in there, though, I did have an incident Wed on the ice in the driveway, looked bare, but was glazed & I damn near did the splits but was able to hold myself before I hit the concrete. Thankfully the quad held up but strained that and both knees as well as my lower back. Sure am glad I began this process when I did, I definetly do not recommend this procedure with winter conditions. We've been getting regular snows & I don't see it going away until May. I just finished plowing & shoveling & the sky opened up & now it looks like nothing was done. Oh well, at least I am able to do it, albiet, slow & stiff getting around carefully. Also greatful we are not getting hammered like Buffalo. I feel sorry for those folks.

Go Fast or Go Home

May want to consider some of those ice gripper things you strap on your shoes or boots.

May be a little cumbersome, however it sure beats taking a fall.

Listen to your Doctors and get well soon.

Don~

zltim

Hey Mezz, glad everything went well. Next year I will do my left. So I will learn from you. My knee has been great. The only thing that feels weird to me, is if I go to kneel on it. I usually will put a small pillow down if I am doing something out in the garage. Other people who have had them done have told me that would happen. It's a small price to pay for how good it feels.You give em hell,and keep me updated.
I bought some knee pads like workers use that are kneeling all the time. I wear them in the garage if I have to get down and get up off the floor. My incisions hurt when kneeling but the pads help a lot. I avoid doing that whenever I can.

catspaz8

Kinda late to the party here. I had both knee's done 10 years ago and found the biggest surprise was how weak they actually were after the surgery when I thought they were strong from bike riding all the time. after some time they do get much stronger and my muscle tone actually has been getting better every year. I had mine done when I was 48, so pretty young from 42 years of soccer abuse.I had the 1st knee done in July and Second in September and actually played my 1st post op. soccer game in December. Running around I could feel how weak my legs actually were. its been 10 years now and I have most of my muscle tone back from when I was in my 30's. I ref soccer up to 10 games a week and play 1 day. I am feeling great now with strong legs can fun better than I have since my early forty's. still running around with the 30 year old, just not as fast but having fun. get them strong and you'll be good to go.

mezz

Kinda late to the party here. I had both knee's done 10 years ago and found the biggest surprise was how weak they actually were after the surgery when I thought they were strong from bike riding all the time. after some time they do get much stronger and my muscle tone actually has been getting better every year. I had mine done when I was 48, so pretty young from 42 years of soccer abuse.I had the 1st knee done in July and Second in September and actually played my 1st post op. soccer game in December. Running around I could feel how weak my legs actually were. its been 10 years now and I have most of my muscle tone back from when I was in my 30's. I ref soccer up to 10 games a week and play 1 day. I am feeling great now with strong legs can fun better than I have since my early forty's. still running around with the 30 year old, just not as fast but having fun. get them strong and you'll be good to go.
Better late than never. Any input is well worth while & appreciated. I know its going to take some time to gain the strength back & considering that the first was done in May & the second in August, I have a way to go. It does take longer for us when we are older though, I have been use to rebounding quicker, but, that was more than 30 years ago. I now realize, you can't make it happen quicker, you have to take it carefully & in increments.

Hey Mezz, It's been awhile. Hope you are staying strong. Had my year check up today on right knee. Can't believe it went so fast. Actual date is 28th. Told me it is in great and the noise ya hear from the knee is normal. Had to get the left drained and some go juice put in it. Said it is much better than the one he replaced, but is in need of being replaced. So I am looking to do the left end of this summer. I was wondering, do you wish you would have waited alittle longer to do your 2nd one? To change subject. We had snow in Mchenry county for a week. Last monday spent grooming. Wednesday, thursday,friday and saturday rode. Now it's gone. Still hoping to get away. we will see. Take care ,Jake

mezz

Hey Mezz, It's been awhile. Hope you are staying strong. Had my year check up today on right knee. Can't believe it went so fast. Actual date is 28th. Told me it is in great and the noise ya hear from the knee is normal. Had to get the left drained and some go juice put in it. Said it is much better than the one he replaced, but is in need of being replaced. So I am looking to do the left end of this summer. I was wondering, do you wish you would have waited alittle longer to do your 2nd one? To change subject. We had snow in Mchenry county for a week. Last monday spent grooming. Wednesday, thursday,friday and saturday rode. Now it's gone. Still hoping to get away. we will see. Take care ,Jake
I am trying to stay strong, it's been a bit of a kick in the gut with the quad injury, I am still recovering from that slowly but surely. It's been a little difficult with the slippery winter, walking in snow & on ice is tenuous. To answer your question, I do in fact wish I would have waited a little longer to have the other one done as it was 12 weeks after the first one. I say that because of the quad injury that I am currently nursing along. I feel that I should have given some more time to let the first knee strengthen, but, hindsight is 20/20. I can't erase what's been done, all I know is I don't want anymore surgeries, even IF this one doesn't strengthen the way I hope it will. Time will tell, as I mentioned before, the quadricep healing can take from 4 to 6 months or more & i injured the R Quad in October, one day after my 6/8 week ortho visit. I more than likely will not attempt surgical intervention but I will keep my chin up & push through this. Thank you for asking & I hope all continues well for you. Take care.

Last edited:
Mezz, how's it going? I hope well. Just thought I would share with you that I am going to get the left knee done on the 26th of this month, It will be on the 2yr. anniversary of the right one. This one is not as tore up as the right. They are doing this a little different this time. I am going to do therapy for two weeks before the surgery. For more strength I guess. He said recovery time is faster, I hope he is right. I will let you know how it goes. Right now saying prayers and keeping my fingers crossed.

mezz

Hey, almost a year to date of our last exchange on this subject. I wish you well with the up-coming procedure, I really wish I would have waited to do the second knee. It's still not the greatest strength wise since my injury, no pain, just not the strength in it that I had previously. To aggrevate matters, I pulled my hamstring on the same leg a few weeks ago as I slid while walking in the snow. In all my years of sports & strenuous activity I've never hurt a quad or a hamstring, must be a sign of getting older. Healing is not as quick as it once was either. I am sure all will work out well for you, just don't try to do too much too soon, accidents happen. Take care.

Well Mezz, I thought I would update. Had surgery, it will be 7 weeks this coming Monday. Had my 6 week follow up yesterday. Unfortunately for me my left knee was as bad as the right, according to my Doc. Recovery this time is a little slower, but I did have some terrible luck with the whole thing. 3 days after my surgery my oldest and closet Brother passed. I am still in disbelief. He was like a Dad to me. All we talked about was getting out and playing golf this year. It was tough to get around for his funeral, but no way would I have not made it. It was beautiful mas and funeral. # days after my Brother passed I had incredible pain in my calf, same leg as surgery. Ended up with a clot. I will not get into detail ,but the ER in Huntley IL. was the worst!! So I was doing pretty good after that was taken care of. Then a week after that my youngest son "junior in H.S". He is going to be 17 in august, had a car accident. Thank God he was not hurt. He keeps himself in good shape. The car was a total loss . I told him that there are tons of cars out there but only one Copper. . So to get back to the knee. It seemed to be taking longer to feel better even with the setbacks. He explained to me yesterday that along with replacing the knee that there was some damage done to the outside of the left knee. It was called the synovial sheath. It protects the tendons, and mine was shot and had to be removed. So it will take longer for swelling to go down an strength to come up. It's not terrible and right now I am at 118 degrees bending. Doc said that I am ahead of schedule. I can go out on the coarse but no swinging for the fences. It will also be awhile before riding a bike. So no pity party just going to work harder to get more strength. I should be ready for the next snow season , if we get snow.. Take care and I hope you are stronger every day... JAKE

mezz

Well Mezz, I thought I would update. Had surgery, it will be 7 weeks this coming Monday. Had my 6 week follow up yesterday. Unfortunately for me my left knee was as bad as the right, according to my Doc. Recovery this time is a little slower, but I did have some terrible luck with the whole thing. 3 days after my surgery my oldest and closet Brother passed. I am still in disbelief. He was like a Dad to me. All we talked about was getting out and playing golf this year. It was tough to get around for his funeral, but no way would I have not made it. It was beautiful mas and funeral. # days after my Brother passed I had incredible pain in my calf, same leg as surgery. Ended up with a clot. I will not get into detail ,but the ER in Huntley IL. was the worst!! So I was doing pretty good after that was taken care of. Then a week after that my youngest son "junior in H.S". He is going to be 17 in august, had a car accident. Thank God he was not hurt. He keeps himself in good shape. The car was a total loss . I told him that there are tons of cars out there but only one Copper. . So to get back to the knee. It seemed to be taking longer to feel better even with the setbacks. He explained to me yesterday that along with replacing the knee that there was some damage done to the outside of the left knee. It was called the synovial sheath. It protects the tendons, and mine was shot and had to be removed. So it will take longer for swelling to go down an strength to come up. It's not terrible and right now I am at 118 degrees bending. Doc said that I am ahead of schedule. I can go out on the coarse but no swinging for the fences. It will also be awhile before riding a bike. So no pity party just going to work harder to get more strength. I should be ready for the next snow season , if we get snow.. Take care and I hope you are stronger every day... JAKE
Wow, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know what that feels like as I just lost my Mom, it will be 1 month tomorrow. Good to hear your son is ok after the accident, as you said, the car can be replaced, but lives can't. I am sorry to hear about the knee healing issues, I too can relate a bit as the second one for me did not go as well as the first. In fact, I am still dealing with strength issues with it. I'm not in any pain, but, the mobility has slowed me due to the strength issues. Hopefully I can work it out over time as I am not interested in further surgery, with nicer weather around the corner (hopefully) I can gradually build it up. I wish you well in your recovery from all of this. Take care.