Knee Replacement Surgery - Anyone?

heckler56

Great news. Wife gets second knee done on Monday and hoping for the same results as yours. This last year continues to be brutal (you know unhappy wife, unhappy life!).

mezz

Great news. Wife gets second knee done on Monday and hoping for the same results as yours. This last year continues to be brutal (you know unhappy wife, unhappy life!).
Glad to hear that, I sure hope she has a favorable experience this time around. I am not trying to sugar coat this, as you know , the recovery is challenging. It will require a positive attitude & don't over do it, slow & steady wins the race in the end. My best wishes for good recovery, to you both. :cool:

Hey Mezz, glad everything went well. Next year I will do my left. So I will learn from you. My knee has been great. The only thing that feels weird to me, is if I go to kneel on it. I usually will put a small pillow down if I am doing something out in the garage. Other people who have had them done have told me that would happen. It's a small price to pay for how good it feels.You give em hell,and keep me updated.

mezz

So far so good, another round of PT in the books. I am ahead of the curve so far as my range of motion is concerned, however, I want to make it clear that no 2 surgeries are alike despite having the same procedure done on the other knee 3 months ago. This one carries a little bit more discomfort than the first, perhaps because it wasn't as damaged as the first. As a result, I have to stick with the pain meds longer than I would like, but on a stepped down dose level, oh well, there are worse things that I could have to contend with. I hope all is well with you jakester as well as you heckler. Time for me to go & elevate & ice.

mspease

Your attitude is great, and that's half the battle! :) Nothing wrong with pain meds if needed. Everyone I have talked to that have had both a knee and hip done, the knee is much more painful and has a longer recovery. More complex surgery than a hip. Keep it up mezz!

mezz

Thank you Mark, I hope all is going with your recovery as well. Take care & have a good week-end. Back to elevation & ice.....:)

Hey Mezz. Hope you had a great weekend. Sounds like you are coming along nicely. I had a small set back friday morning. After driving myself to the hospital at 2 in the morning Friday, because I was having some crazy pain in my chest and right side. After a battery of tests they said I had to have my gallbladder removed. They did it orthoscopically. They also fixed A herniated belly button that I had for quite a while. All is good now,they sent me home saturday afternoon. I will take it easy for some time. They have a drain in my side that hopefully will be taken out next Monday. Just when I was starting to play some good golf!! On a happy note, last week we got my youngest daughter moved into College in Chicago. I hope and pray she has a great college experience. She is so gifted. I didn't get to go to college but life has been pretty good to me. At any rate, you keep plugging away and keep me posted.

mezz

I just returned to the office from PT, all is going as good as can be expected at this point, afterall I am only 3 weeks post-op & no real complaints. I am free of pain medication & now driving myself to PT. I did however have a reaction to the surgical tape used to secure the incision, this caused a strange rash around the incision site but is now diminishing & the incision is now healing nicely. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, no 2 surgeries are exactly alike, at least in the post-op arena. Holy crap, gallbladder issue? Glad to hear they got it out non-invasively. Congratulations on your daughters step into college, like you, I did not go to college either & life has been good to me as well, however, now a day's a college education is a huge plus as long as they make the most of it. I hope your healing goes well & take care.

mezz

Well, a litle over 4 weeks post-op & 10 PT visits later, I have been dialed back to PT 1 day per week. Of course this means a little more of a diligent effort with home stretches & excercises. I am kind of burning out with all of this, but, I can't stop now, I am almost over the hump & look forward to no more visits to the surgeon and the therapy clinic. I will be real happy once this is all over with, it's been a long road.

skiroule

Geez Mezz, I had to read through this entire thread again. It’s been quite the journey but it sounds like the outcome will be everything you had hoped it would be. Congrats on the progress you’ve made!

Hey Mezz, been awhile. Glad everthing is going well for you. I can't Believe we are in October. Tonite is our 1st snomo meeting of the new year. I am happy to say I am almost 100%. I have been playing some golf again. Will not be to much longer and that will be done for the year. I was lucky enough to be a guest at a very exculsive country club in Barrington ,IL. It was surreal to me because I caddied at a club like that when I was in H.S.This place was unreal to me. absolutely beutiful. I played pretty good ,but not use to being spoiled like that . I was lucky to have the chance to play there. Alright enough small talk, take care and I guess we can start saying "think snow". Keep me updated.

mezz

The latest up-date, I have been released from PT, I am now dealing with strengthing of the knees however, been having some issues with my lower back lately. Uncle arthur is the primary issue, but, that is something I am going to have to deal with as there is no fixing that. I have my final visit with my surgeon on Monday (Oct 10th) of which I don't foresee any issues there. basically checks the knee, takes Xray, reviews it & I go home. Glad to be coming to a close on this & just hoping that things will continue to improve with the new knees as time goes. Again, I have to remind myself that I am only 8 weeks post-op on the latest knee & 16 weeks post-op on the first one, so, I guess all in all I really can't complain, i'm just burned out. Now I get to look forward to winter preperations in the yard, yay!!!!

wiviperman

Hi Mezz, thanks for bringing us along and keeping us updated on your journey. My MIL had double partial knee replacements done last Monday. My wife was gracious enough to take her to and from the surgery and care for her post-op in our home. I'm very concerned on how she will recover as she gets overwhelmed very quickly! Trying to keep her on track with the Doctor's instructions has been a challenge and she is only one week in. Hopefully with in-home physical therapy starting this week for her and being back in her own home as of yesterday is a help and hopefully not too much for my FIL to handle. I have mentioned your experience to her and just wanted to let you know that you are definitely helping others by sharing your story!

mezz

Thank you for that. I had a set back recently. Two weeks ago Tuesday I had stepped out of my shop & stumbled, tried to catch myself with the right leg (most recent replacement side) & my quad let go & I went down to the ground. Thankfully onto the grass, but, I am now dealing with weakness in the right leg due to the quad injury. The quadricep is largely responsible for the strength to the knee. Needless to say, I am depressed about it & am now in the healing process of that. Forced to do little again, but, it could be much worse & Thankfully I don't have any knee pain which tells me I didn't mess up the new joint at least. The whole process is challenging to say the least, just relay onto her not to become impatient. This is often easier said than done, at least it has been for me. I hope all goes well with her recovery.

Last edited:
Hey Mezz, Sorry to hear about your mishap. Whenever I do something like that I always look around to see if anyone saw me. Crazy. Glad you are o.k. I found riding a bike and walking helped me. I think I pushed to hard to get back to playing golf, when I pulled my hamstring on the new knee. I also have some light weight ankle weights that I sit on chair or end of bed and do bend and straighten. Not much weight ,but alot of reps. I have been back on the coarse again and try to walk up and down grades as much as possible. I will wait till next year to do the left. I did get sleds out of storage last week and my son and I got them running. New knee has made a big difference in going up and down on trailer. Hope you get stronger everyday. Alright, keep your best foot forward! LOL Always good to hear how you are doing. Take care

Bradzoo

Well Mezz it must be the year for surgeries. I had my right hip replaced July 13th, I was back to work Aug 29th. 6 weeks at home was driving my wife crazier than she already is!😁 Glad things are progressing, my cousin had his knee done in Feb. and he was down alot longer than me with my hip. Hopefully uncle Aurther stays out of my knees. Take care!
Bradzoo

mezz

Thank you jake, I am moving forward ever so slowly with the quad healing process, but moving forward nonetheless. It's been a tad over 4 weeks since the injury, but it is gradually improving. From what I understand, the healing process can take 2 to 4 months, as such, I am trying my best to take it easy & not over do anything not to mention ever so gradually trying to build the strength back into it. Now with our weather having changed to a winter like scenerio it presents a little more of a challenge for me as walkways and stairs have become slippery. We acutally had about 5" of snowfall on Saturday & it doesn't look like its going to go away. In fact, as I am writing this, it has begun to snow again. Oh well, it is almost mid-November so I guess it is what it is. In the mean time, I will keep on the road to recovery with both knees & the quad. It's been an interesting 6 months to day the least. Each day gets a little better & I look forward to that to continue.