Knee Replacement Surgery - Anyone?

mezz

Round 7 of PT, All is continuing in the right direction, increased straightening, in fact that is now between 1 & 0 & bending to 121 deg. I'm told that is pretty good considering I am only a hair over 3 weeks post-op. I am encouraged but also at the same time still have to constantly remind myself to not do certain things, like walking in my yard too much due to uneven ground as well as not over do things. It's hard for me to have patience at times.

Last edited:

mezz

Round 8 of PT Friday, this was a little rough, I felt stiff & not as fluid as before. Perhaps some of the different exercises & lengthened stretches, perhaps also the Iovera nerve block beginning to wear off. All I know is it is a tad depressing, but, I have to again remind myself I am still under 4 weeks post-op & I will have challenging days as time goes on. Patience has to be the key.

Hey Mezz, hope this week is a good one for you. Today is 15 weeks since mine was done.. Other than I wish I could get more bend. I am a little over 120, I feel no pain. I still have a few water therapy sessions to go to then I will push it on my own. I have learned many exercises to do with a noodle in the water. I have been playing golf, doing steps up and down, with no baby steps. Riding my bike a few miles now and then and getting some walking in. Since week six, I have been playing golf. I was cruising along preety good and last week I decided to really get into a good drive and tweaked my hamstring on the same leg. I can still play but I will go a little easier, anyway I think you know to go at a good pace. You will be amazed how much better it's going to get. Have a great week!!

mezz

Thank you for that Jakester, I am only at week 4 since miine was done, I have to keep reminding myself to pull back on the reins a bit. I am able to do stairs without 2 stepping it, but take them at a slower than normal pace. Thank you again for your up-date, its very helpful & gives me a better outlook down the road.

mezz

Hey mezz,how's the knee doing? Hope it's going good. Hope you had a great Fathers day, I did.
I had Rounds 9 & 10 of PT last week, 5 weeks post-op & things are going well, at least thats what they keep telling me. They are now considering dropping my PT to 1 day per week, so we'll see how that pans out. I still wish to do more but don't dare, though, I did break protocol yesterday & did an hours worth of lawn trimming with the string trimmer (weed wacker). The knee felt quite tight afterwards, I think primarily because I had made my way down some 15 deg slopes, but today, not too bad. I had to do it as my wife doesn't & I can't blame her, it is messy & she has been using the push mower in areas I can't get with the rider. Nonetheless, I couldn't look at that long grass any longer. The rest of my Fathers Day was spent relaxing after finishing with the rider. Round 11 tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Thank you for asking.

mezz

Rounds 11 & 12 of PT this week are in the books, all is going well. My range of motion is in line with where they want me to be, perhaps a little better than most at this stage of the game (thankfully). I have been dialed back to PT once per week for the next 3 weeks, then it is off to see the surgeon for my final follow-up for this knee. I have made up my mind to have the Right one done as it is on the way out, even though it is not as bad as the Left was. I actually have no desire to get it to that point, so far, no injections in it & have no intent on getting them. I am hoping to get this done in August, we'll see. I figured that as long as this experience is fresh in my mind with the do's & the don'ts and the weather is right for travel & recouperation not to mention having met my insurance co-pays & deductible I might as well get it completed. I know it's going to be a bit of a drag, but, in the end, it's all worth it. No regrets with doing this & I am looking forward to a rounded better quality of life!

Hey Mezz, it has been awhile for a update. My hamstring is finally good ,took longer to get right then I thought. My knee is really good now so you have alot to look forward to. Even climbed ladder to do windows on 2nd floor of raised ranch, not to high up. But no problems. Looking forward to hear your update. I hope all is going good.

mezz

I had round 16 of PT on Monday, still down to 1 day per week, things are improving, not in leaps & bounds, but improving. I saw my surgeon on Tuesday, all went well, he was pleased with the results so far. As a result, I have scheduled the R knee replacment for August 16th. In light of the fact that I have to drive 200 mi round trip for this, summer is ideal time, winter comes fast here & I need to be "mostly" recovered by then. Besides, my deductible has been met & I really want the same surgeon to do the deed, they don't seem to last long around here & I have a comfort level with what he has done for me. I realize that I may have a tougher time with this one as it's not causing me any real pain, but, it is bone on bone & I really don't want to push it until I feel like the first one did, that sucked! To me there is no sense in delaying the inevitible. I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend & things are going well with you, I'll get there eventually. :)

mezz

Round 17 is done, & I have been released for the time being with of course recommended homework. It will be nice to not have to be on the run for the next month. I will make the time to build some additional strength in both of the knees & quads readying for the next procedure. Hope all is continuing to go well with you jakester.

Hey Mezz, been awhile. I
am doing great. I have been playing alot of golf. Mowing lawn and taking some walks on the track at the H.S, riding bike a little bit. I can't believe you are going to do the other knee this month. I hope the best for you. I think I will wait till next year for me .I have alot going on with my kids." the younger ones" 18 and 15. I am still hoping to get up there in the next few weeks. Good luck and keep updating.

mezz

jakster, Thank you & I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I can understand your wanting to wait on doing the second one, I simply don't want to delay the inevitable, plus, now I have one leg that is a little longer than the other due to having the new knee, this is causing a bit of a limp which is also causing a little discomfort in my lower back. I had my IOVERA procedure done yesterday in preperation for the last surgical hurdle for hopefully ever. As far as the first knee replacement, I have been getting around without any real difficulty, though I know further strengthening will come with time. I have been able to cut some grass with the push mower as of late a couple of times as well as getting some other outdoor tasks done before the next replacement. As I have stated before, for me there is no sense in delaying the inevitable & moreover, I don't want to push this one into the level of discomfort that I had with the first one, that just plain sucked. The weather is right for travel now as well as allowing ample time to recover before winter sets in. I had not had a single surgery in my life until 2021 with my back, now in 2022 with both of my knees, I should be free of any surgical procedures in the future God willing. This has been an experience thats for sure & one that I want & look forward to putting behind me.

mezz

I head in tomorrow morning for knee #2, nerves have me a tad wound up, but, nothing I haven't done. I am hoping this goes as well if not better than the first knee. I did learn some valuable lessons & plan to adhere to protocol tighter this go around. I am looking forward to putting this stuff behind me. I want to thank everyone for their input through this process, this has been very helpful & a bit theraputic for me at the same time. I hope that all who have been checking in on this thread have been able to learn a bit about this process & perhaps found it helpful. "Gitter Done!"

Mezz, good luck tomorrow.Thoughts and prayers will be sent your way. I will be playing 27 holes tomorrow,so that tells you my knee is feeling real good!! Wednesday will be 18 at a private club in Beloit Wisconsin. My brother won a gift package to play there. I will wait till next year to do my left knee. I want to get the right a little stronger. I should be good for the sledding season. I also have a daughter starting college this month .I hope and pray she will do O.K. Mezz good luck once again, and keep me updated.

mezz

Thanks guys. Knee #2 is now in the books. All went well yesterday & I am glad to have that part behind me. Back to PT on Thursday to begin finishing off the mobility process. Like the song by Willy Nelson "On The Road Again"......:LOL:

mezz

PT went well yesterday, better than the first visit with the left knee. Hopefully all continues in this direction, if it does, I won't be in it for 2 visits per week for too long. I have taken a different approach with this one & I am not pushing myself, so far so good. Sometimes less is more, I learned something from the first go around. :)