Lake County ORV Trails are open

wolflake1

Yes the trails are open and there is still some ice, snow and mud to play on. The trails consist of the Little Manistee, Lincoln Hills, Little O and Tin Cup Springs. The Little O is a 46 mile 50" trail, Little Manistee trail is 46 miles of both 50" trail and 96" route, Lincoln Hills Trail is 21 miles of both 50" trail and 96" route and Tin Cup is 21 miles of both also. Plus there is about 88 miles of single track motorcycle trails. Lake County is also working on their ORV ordinance to ride on the shoulders of the county roads and should be in place very soon. Wolf Lake Motel & Resort & ATV-Snowmobile Rentals

wolflake1

The weather is getting better everyday and most of the snow pack is gone, except where the sun can't get to. The forecast for this spring and summer looks good, so give these trails a try. Also bring a fishing pole, Steelhead are in the rivers right now and they are a blast to catch, pound for pound the best fighting fish in Michigan.

wolflake1

80 degrees, great trails, trout season and morel mushrooms all within a huge trail system. This is what Michigan is all about.

ranlam

88 miles of single track! Can I ride from your resort to the single track.I forsee my family and I going on vacation to Wolf Lake Resort.

nytro_rtx

88 miles of single track, ranlam i'm going to be part of your family that weekend. i'll be good and won't talk back, i promise.lol
nytro

ranlam

Cool..you can drive. Prolly have to meet in Mantiwoc and ride ferry over. Wolf Lake Resort seems to be around 40 miles from ferry dock in Ludington.

wolflake1

Hi Guys, I've been off work for a days. As of right now you will need to trailer 2 miles to the trail head. We are working with the county to get an ordinance to allow riding on the shoulders of the county roads, but I don't think it will be in effect until the middle of June, if everything goes OK. We are about 40 to 45 miles from Ludington. Give us a call when you get ready to come over, 231 745 4101.

wolflake1

Lake County's ORV Ordinance has passed on May 13th and will take effect on May 21st 2009. This will allow ORV's to operate single file at a speed of 25 mph unless posted slower, on the far right side of the Lake County’s roads that they chose to open to ORV traffic. Not all of the roads will be open and it's the riders responsibility to know what roads are open and what roads are closed. We will post the map on our site as soon as it is available. NO STATE ROADS, FEDERAL ROADS OR TWO TRACKS WILL BE OPEN. We have been working on this for several years so please stay on the correct roads and obey the law or they will ticket you and you will get the roads closed again.

wolflake1

There is a link on our web site on the ATV report page for the roads that are open to ORV traffic in Lake County Michigan, plus a map. See our link above.

snowolf

figures our cabin is 4 roads down into the yellow. wasted some time with letters and emails.

so disappointing that we cant legally ride to the trail when its only 1/2 mile to trailhead on the same road. already have gotten 1 ticket last year.

maybe time to head further up north with the cabin. Town of Baldwin will benefit very little from this. cant even get to town for fuel or food. They are not getting the big picture.

a few northern bar/resturants may benefit but nothing south of US 10 and DNR office.

Of course i waited 30 years for this and now i am just inside the line. i pay more in property taxes than most occasional visitors in a year.

Im just a little peeved when i can see the trail head for the end of our driveway but a gotta trailer it to get there LEGALLY!!!.

MAYBE I WILL JUST QUIT SNOWMOBILING AND ATV RIDING AS WELL AS FISHING IN BALDWIN. Take my dollars elsewhere. Luther looks more accessible now anyways.

should be something done about home owners access. not like i want to ride the roads. just want to be able to get there.

wolflake1

As with all ordinances that pass or fail, you won’t make all the people happy no matter what, but each township did vote on this ordinance and this is what the majority of the people that went to the township meetings and returned the survey with their tax bills wanted. This ordinance did open up about one half of the county, surrounding the huge Motorsport trail system, so everyone can ride into Chase, Irons, Luther, Wolf Lake and several other areas. Snowolf, don’t give up on the calls, letters and emails. This is a great starting point and this ordinance comes up for renewal every year and if there is enough people wanting it in your area, you may be able to get some more roads open at that time. This will be a great opportunity for Lake County, if everyone obeys the law, if not the roads will get closed at the next renewal of the ordinance and we will be right back to where we were, with no access to anywhere.

fishx65

Tim, did you hear any news about how the 1st weekend went in Lake County? From what I saw, it looked pretty good!

wolflake1

I didn't hear anything bad, so that is good, right? It was very busy around here, but the Resort is still standing, so we will give this weekend a try and see what happens. Being able to ride to other towns will help a lot and bring more people into this area and we can sure use it. I just hope everyone stays calm and ride with some respect for others.

wolflake1

So far so good. The new ordinance is going well with very little problems. Man it sure is nice to ride right from the Resort and to be able to ride to get gas and something to eat. All this and 220 miles worth of ORV trails, I love this place.

snowolf

its still better than nothing. still enjoy the riding and a little easier to get around. Just frustration when i can pretty much see the parking lot at the trail head.

maybe i will have to get to Na-tah-ka tavern or into Luther to enjoy some food. I bet Twin Creek Inn is not happy that no one can still get to them legally.

wolflake1

You can get to the Twin Creek inn legally. You just need to come down Twin Creek road from the Little Manistee trail, from the north.

wolflake1

That's something you need to talk to the DNR about. Some trails are open all year long to ORV's, but some of those same trails are snowmobile trails in the winter. So here's the problem, in the winter the ORV clubs don't grade the trails for ORV's, but the snowmobile clubs groom the trails for snowmobiles. Damned it you do, damned if you don't.