Lake Gogebic Area

skidoobirch58

Anyone have a good update on trails around Lake Gogebic? Haven't heard any recent snowfall reports from over the weekend. Looking to take trip up in the next couple weeks, from central Iowa so have a pretty long drive, trying to decide if its worth the drive. would we be better off trailering further north past Gogebic?

dboe03

Check Toms Trail Report. He was the owner and operator of Bergland Bay Bar for many years and give honest reports. I would guess that everywhere in the UP will be all rideable this weekend, so I’m sure a couple weeks you’d be fine.

ss440

Trail 1 & 13 are really bumpy right now around the lake. 13n to Rockland is terrible. Stay south of LG or trailer north

euphoric1

hasn't 13 been consistently bad the last few years not only because of the snow conditions? especially 13n or am I thinking of another trail near LG

Tim in Indiana

Rode the Gogebic area today and over the weekend. If you have other choices I would pick one. They had water issues which the -20's the past couple days took care of but it is still rough. There simply isn't enough snow to fill the holes and level the trail. They are trying their best but the conditions haven't helped.

13 on the east side of the lake was partially brushed earlier but it was too wet to complete the whole length. They haven't been able to groom it unless they did it this afternoon. But I don't believe there is enough snow available to do it right. Also one of the club members told me this afternoon he put up a sign closing part of the trail due to logging. It is on the northern end and they run you out to the East Shore road to get to Bergland.

Trail 1 on the west side is also impacted by the tremendous amount of logging being done in the area. It has been rerouted from years past. I went from the Gogebic Lodge south to Marenisco and it was pretty good considering this is early season riding. The worst portion was just east of town in the swamp. All frozen but really rough.

The grade, 8 heading east was smooth but thin, they need snow. My understanding is the big water hole on 8 west is finally frozen but very rough.

If we get the snow the snow this weekend and they can groom it should improve considerably.

They are riding the lake. Across the north bay near town and from the Hoop down to the Lodge. Stay on the packed track and you should be ok. There were some slushy areas today but nothing terrible. I talked with some people that had come from the Root Cellar across to the Lodge and said it was fine. I didn't try it. I also some heading south of the Lodge along the west shore.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Snowbandit

Is it just me or has the Gogebic area totally gone down the toilet in the last few years ? I feel sorry for all the business. It’s impossible to ride the trails in that area . Between the logging , lack of grooming , and what is with 8w???!. Since 11n has been closed to get north from iron wood you have to go through Bergland down 8w which is **** every year. It wouldn’t take a lot of money to doze that trail in summer and fix that thing ? For people crossing border trying to ride north it’s pure punishment always . The Gogebic area what’s the epic riding back in the 80s and 90s. What am I missing ?

WorkHardPlayHrd

Rode through there last year and it was bad. March of 2014 it was beautiful, but that was during midweek. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they get more snow before mid January or we hear something changes. If not we'll change locations. It is not worth getting beat up. It is such a beautiful area hate to miss it.

Go Fast or Go Home

Our group will no longer go to the Gogebic area. Used to be great but has been terrible the last several years.

They always have excuses. Not frozen, frozen but rough, groomer broke again and again, heavy traffic, not enough snow, to much snow. The list can go on.

Sorry if I seem negative but other clubs have the same problems but seem to do a decent job of trail maintenance.

Don~

Tim in Indiana

It is a really great area to base out of. It is just unfortunate that the consistent snow has passed Bergland by the last couple years. The lack of snow combined with the large amount of logging makes it very tough on the guys who try to give us good trails. They seem very determined to turn things around this year.

pyroking

I'm in total agreement with the overall conditions around the Bergland area. They are not as good as they have been in the past. They have had many excuses, and each year the excuse is different. As a rider who has been riding in the UP for 20 years, and puts on 3000 miles per year mostly in the UP and northern WI, I would tend to believe and agree with the club.

From what I see the Bergland area has been hit with many instances of bad luck and conditions other clubs don't have to deal with to the degree that Bergland does. Bergland is a hub for snowmobiling and is also the first major intersection for anyone coming from Ironwood and WI. High traffic will beat up any trail, just look at the Bill Nichols at 2PM on a Saturday. I can only assume Lake Gogebic is a drainage basin for every creek, stream and river in this area leading to low swampy areas with poor drainage. This is why the trails around the lake and trail 8 west has water issues every year. From what I read every club has issues with groomers being down, this year included. no grooming on high traffic trails can make trails look and feel like they have not been groomed in weeks when it may of been 2-3 days. The last issue and possibly there biggest problem has been internal problems within the club the last couple of years. I don't know if this is true, just what I have read and heard and I don't know the details, but when a club is in disarray attitudes turn negative, volunteers quit for both grooming and maintainence of trails and equipment, and the area gets a bad reputation.

Keeping that all in mind I'm not giving them a pass, there trails have been for the most part some of the worst I've ridden in the UP for the last couple of years, to the point I would plan saddlebag trips avoiding Bergland at all costs, but I have seen and read about great improvements concerning the club leadership, local business involvement, social media, and trail improvements starting late last season. It takes a great amount of time and effort from a very small amount of people to maintain the Bergland trails and the equipment they use.

I attached a picture of Trail 8 heading east towards Bergland from the split where Lake Gogebic takes over. This was taken on a Thursday or Friday morning around 11AM in Mid March in 2017 In 20 years of riding first time I ever ran that trail double groomed and first tracks all the way to Bergland. My point is these trails can be some of the nicest and fun to ride in the UP, but all it takes is oneof the things I discussed to turn them to crap.

View attachment 57873

old abe

I like your confidence factor pyroking. I hope it's not just wishful thinking. I have gave up on the Gogebic area trails, as far too many excuses, for too many years. Been going there since early 80's. But enough is enough. It can be fixed though. The club at BruceCrossing/Sidnaw turned it around big time, Munising area is doing the same. They are being rewarded for there work too. It just doesn't appear the effort is there to do what is needed with Gogebic. Surrounding clubs also concerned with Gogebic problems.

Snowbandit

It’s refreshing to see my group and I are not alone . I rode that area as a kid and it was epic. I hope they get it together because people will either trailer past or rodeb40 miles out of way and the business will be the only ones suffering. Let’s not forget this world revolves around money and those that spend, Won’t .

1fujifilm

Is it just me or has the Gogebic area totally gone down the toilet in the last few years ? I feel sorry for all the business. It’s impossible to ride the trails in that area . Between the logging , lack of grooming , and what is with 8w???!. Since 11n has been closed to get north from iron wood you have to go through Bergland down 8w which is **** every year. It wouldn’t take a lot of money to doze that trail in summer and fix that thing ? For people crossing border trying to ride north it’s pure punishment always . The Gogebic area what’s the epic riding back in the 80s and 90s. What am I missing ?

I kind of avoid the area as Bergland really doesn't like sleds and the trail to Presque Isle has been closed off and on too.
I used to run out of Hurley, WI to Gogebic up to Lake of the clouds and back down backpacking but moved my riding out of Houghton or Munising for better snow totals. I figured what is the difference between 150 or 225 truck miles if you ride 800 sled miles a trip, YOU NEED SNOW.

Bear

pyroking

I think we both know munising didn't turn things around overnight, and I believe that is also a work in progress. They are one of the few clubs in the UP dealing with a similar problems as Bergland

old abe

I'd like to see Gogebic really get it done. But if the businesses, and snowmobile groups can't work together, they can't succeed. We were told after 2014/2015, and then again after the 2015/2016 snow season, that things were going to turn around, but no results. That's when we threw in the towel. It's too bad. Such a good area to waste!!!

XTEAM

We won’t be back to Bergland area trails again at all even if they “turn it around”. We have brand new sleds and conditions are worse than horrible. Been up here for 4 days and have seen 1 groomer near Ontonagon that looked liked they pulled out of the weeds. What a joke we won’t be back.

devlin

We rode out of Root Cellar on Tuesday and Wed. From there, trail access is either 13N, 13S, or ride across the lake to pick up a trail. The problem was that nobody knew whether it was safe to ride the lake and we didn't see anyone on it, 13N was closed due to logging and 13S hadn't been groomed and was under construction.

We had heard a number of reasons why 13S was supposedly unrideable; they had cleared the brush and branches earlier in the year, but the heavy snows in October required further clearing work and they haven't been able to get to it, a massive culvert that they installed or replaced essentially washed away due to heavy rains, this required reroutine of a portion of the trail, and they're building a new bridge but it isn't complete yet.

Between that and the fact that the best snow was to the north and east, our best option was to start out on 13N. However, 13N out of Root Cellar was closed for logging, but never got a clear answer why. This meant you have to take East Shore road 10 miles toward Bergland to get to Trail 8; brutal. With very little snow on the roads, a couple of our sleds were overheating on this stretch, despite the fact that the air temp was -4.

13 between Berglund and Rockland was really rough but otherwise fine. It wasn't grooomed at all during our trip. 13 between Rockland and Mass City was groomed, and the only groomed trail we came across both days. In fact, we only saw a groomer once while we were riding.

I get that they could use more snow, but I've certainly seen clubs do more with less. They also need to improve their signage. Most of the signs were missing or unreadable due to fading. We brought a couple other experienced sledders as guests because we like the area and have generally had good luck with conditions in the past. They weren't happy with the poor maintenance of the trails and the poor signage and most likely won't be returning.