Lake Gogebic tracks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10829
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10829

It sure looks like someone has tried the lake in front of the Hoop! Can that be? It looks like a sled track but I don't see any ski tracks. I can't imagine it would be safe. What else could it be?

Hoop Cam.jpg

misty_pines

Tom who own the Bergland Bay Bar posted on his trail report; "Last night I seen sleds that came off the lake and were sitting in front of the Hoop on their camera. Also tracks coming up Fish Tales ramp from the Lake." He highly recommends against this and says the lake needs more cold weather to thicken the ice.

Ramsey

How is it determined when the lakes are safe to be marked? Is it based on days below freezing? Just curious. Thanks

rotten6565

Actually Michigan has no trails that go over the water..........
So that is why you don't see any trail markers or signs on the lakes.
Soooooo nobody decides anything in Michigan on the lakes it is use common sense

and as you can see sometimes that is Hard to come by LOL..

Wisconsin is a different story.. not sure Who ids the Brains of that operation.

D

Deleted member 10829

Sleds are out ice fishing on our lake today. I've heard the ice is 12". :)

Cracks me up the negative comments are from guys that live south! Guess if I was looking out my window at grass and maybe an open pond or lake I would second guess it also.

BTW- Skidoo power is why you don't see any ski tracks! LOL!

THE ICE ON LAKE GOGEBIC IS NOT SAFE! DONT DO IT!

-Mark

chambercam.jpg 20141127_164528.jpg

Attak man

Actually Michigan has no trails that go over the water..........
So that is why you don't see any trail markers or signs on the lakes.
Soooooo nobody decides anything in Michigan on the lakes it is use common sense

and as you can see sometimes that is Hard to come by LOL..

Wisconsin is a different story.. not sure Who ids the Brains of that operation.

Really??? FYI...the trail system was developed by business owners (long before michigan had a trail system), and the majority of them are on LAKES...Wisconsin did not have all of the rail lines that Michigan has...thus they ran alot of trails across lakes, and along roads...the only thing Wisconsin, could have or should have done better was to buy up the rights to the few railroad grades they do have, instead of letting them revert to the land owners....btw...How many of you have checked the ice?? Lake nokomis has 8 plus inches of ice already....and had sleds running all weekend on it (along with 4 wheelers and ice fishermen)...I think it's different from lake to lake...ask and trust the locals where u ride.

groomerdriver

How is it determined when the lakes are safe to be marked? Is it based on days below freezing? Just curious. Thanks

In my experience it has been based on the thickness of the ice in the intended direction of the trail. The clubs that I have or are now involved in have waited until there's 8" of good ice before marking them.