Land O' Lakes area

dragon_07

Packing up from our weekend riding in the land o lakes area. I can honestly say that the trail conditions were a big let down. I understand the heavy traffic, lack of snow and warm temps. but it does not seam as though they are trying to groom at night. We met two groomers around 8:00 from two different clubs but by that time there was plenty of traffic. I had read that eagle river had three groomers down but I didnt know land o lakes was having any kind of issues.

whitedust

I heard on Thursday afternoon Lando had a groomer down too but what do you say not knowing how weather, traffic & temp will affect trails & if groomer gets fixed? IDK stuff happens just take it as comes I guess.....

Just got back from 160 miles yesterday,beginning and ending in Lando. Apparently they do have a groomer down. Heres what we rode:

Lando WI - Trail 6E & 6W both needed snow and were beat C-

Watersmeet MI - Trail 3N to Watersmeet, enough snow but moguls C+
Trail 2E to IR 107, needs snow, rough stutters (much like all season) C

Iron River MI - Trail 107N first 2/3 good, last 1/3 needs snow, logging? B
Trail 15S to 2E very good! A-
Trail 15S to WI trails good B+

Snow Valley Riders - Trail 8E from Kenton to Sidnaw,EXCELLENT! A

Phelps - Trail 6E needs snow..... C-

Obviously the effects of the 2 weeks of Eagle River has taken a huge toll on the surrounding areas in Northern WI, that with more snow needed and more grooming. There was traffic but just normal for the weekend. MI is holding up better. Does Watersmeet have a groomer down?

Had a good ride with the family!

whitedust

Just got back from 160 miles yesterday,beginning and ending in Lando. Apparently they do have a groomer down. Heres what we rode:

Lando WI - Trail 6E & 6W both needed snow and were beat C-

Watersmeet MI - Trail 3N to Watersmeet, enough snow but moguls C+
Trail 2E to IR 107, needs snow, rough stutters (much like all season) C

Iron River MI - Trail 107N first 2/3 good, last 1/3 needs snow, logging? B
Trail 15S to 2E very good! A-
Trail 15S to WI trails good B+

Snow Valley Riders - Trail 8E from Kenton to Sidnaw,EXCELLENT! A

Phelps - Trail 6E needs snow..... C-

Obviously the effects of the 2 weeks of Eagle River has taken a huge toll on the surrounding areas in Northern WI, that with more snow needed and more grooming. There was traffic but just normal for the weekend. MI is holding up better. Does Watersmeet have a groomer down?

Had a good ride with the family!

Pretty much what we have been seeing durning the week too if well traveled trail it will be worn by 2PM making it difficult in the afternoon the UP will groom day time hours Vilas not so much 3 lakes maybe on the Kimball. I think trail 2 at 3 in Watersmeet just gets so much traffic not much can be done so the stutters & red hue to the snow. It is getting difficult to find routes now that are good all day long. Oh well... just hope we get a little freshy that would help a lot!

timo

Packing up from our weekend riding in the land o lakes area. I can honestly say that the trail conditions were a big let down. I understand the heavy traffic, lack of snow and warm temps. but it does not seam as though they are trying to groom at night. We met two groomers around 8:00 from two different clubs but by that time there was plenty of traffic. I had read that eagle river had three groomers down but I didnt know land o lakes was having any kind of issues.

i think you answered your own question when you stated "heavy traffic, lack of snow, and warm temps"

not much more to elaborate on really...

dragon_07

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad I posted on this topic. If they had a groomer down it makes more sense than just weekend traffic, temps, and the need for snow. I expected the trails to be beat by mid day, but I was hoping that one out of three mornings I would have found a groomed trail but that was not the case. Not complaining because we have no snow to ride at home and I can imagine they have their hands full trying to keep up with everyone and their brother riding in the northern part of the state. I also know from riding this area for years that you can typically sneak in an early ride on awesome trails before the traffic gets heavy, hopefully next trip that is the case.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

We put on 450 great miles on not far from there in 1.5 days....Wed afternoon/thursday....You just gotta know where to look..Yeah, i know it was during the week,but last WEEKEND we did approx 550 in roughly the same area....

F

fusion

With major traffic, although less than Christmas to New Years, crazy warm temps, and no new snow, you get the conditions we have now.
I didn't see one groomer between Friday and Sunday as I know they groom at night. But with those temps no groom was going to hold.
Unfortunately trails looked perfectly flat and no new tracks on them at 8 AM this morning (Sunday) with 12 degree's. (70 West) Just my luck.
Try again in 2-3 weeks and hope for snow and cold.

Last edited:

apex_shug

driving 400+ miles, debating to come this weekend with the limited snow chances, so would you make the trip or wait for another weekend?

whitedust

driving 400+ miles, debating to come this weekend with the limited snow chances, so would you make the trip or wait for another weekend?

Snowing now maybe 2" total forecasted. It is not so much lack of snow it is groomers can't keep up with weekend traffic & during week entire area is well traveled as well. Not sure if you delay your trip if you gain anything ..It would take a big storm downstate to ease the crush ...just the way it is now & near future.

dragon_07

To take the trip or not is a personal decision. On one hand being able to ride at all is better than not having any snow at home. For us it was the second trip to Vilas county this season that we experienced rough trails, the first time we stayed in Eagle River and I later found out the extent of their groomer issues. The trails around Sayner were very thin and dirty, Boulder Junction had more snow and were trying to groom to keep up with traffic, Mercer was very rough and lacking snow. While we did enjoy our stay in the cabin we rented as well as our lunch and dinner stops in the northwoods, in the end I would have been thrilled to find a smooth trail. We wont be back up until the middle of February and are hoping for significant snow by then.

F

fusion

Right - February 13-14 for me to be back. Let's all do the snow dance and hope for better things.

whitedust

Getting it in 1 & 2 inch snows this week 2ish today. :) Riding Tuesday see what we have around Phelps but the big miles will all be UP miles & hoping for some good stuff!

whitedust

Phelps 17N/S, 6E/W goodish, Lando 6E/W ground down, trashed, very brown, lacks snow & bumpy. 3N/S Watersmeet red ,brown goodish but well traveled get in line with traffic won't let you pass. Watersmeet 2E/W same as 3. Front part of 3N/S WM worn well traveled.150/107N/S also worn well traveled, north end snirty ,8E/W to Sindaw from 107 super good let her rip triple digits, :) Sindaw Eats very good had french toatst with bacon & homemade berry topping :)
15N/S Excellent no one riding that trail but be careful 8" groomed in edge inner berm needs to be broken down by groomer catch an edge at high speed can pitch you in pickers. 111N/S , Amasa also Excellent it has 8" edge inner berm needs to be broken down, groomer hauling A$$ on 111 never seen groomer going 25mph+ with drag... crazy cool will lap some slower riders.lol Saw "Women On Snow" between Watersmeet & IR those ladies have their act together well organized:) Have fun pick the right trails you will have excellent conditions, pick the wrong trails not so much fun..... more of a putz kind of ride today for us... just fun to be riding but did rip trail 8W... 110 mph on dream meter....just because I could.lol

snobuilder

Nice report WD. Funny how the trails that don't have a pit stop every 8 miles stay in better shape, eh?

Any where to get eats in Amasa now that the rusty blade is closed?

1fujifilm

Guys please, there is no frickin snow and what is there is getting pulverized. I look at these condition question posts about 3 lakes, Eagle river, Minocqua and on and on and say; IF YOU ARE NOT RIDING NORTH OF BRUCE'S CROSSING OR MUNISING AND EAST THE TRAILS ARE SHOT BECAUSE THERE IS NO SNOW AND IT IS NOT GONNA SNOW FOR AT LEAST A WEEK! Keep driving way into the UP or you are setting yourself up for failure and dissatisfaction. It is the Snow God's fault, not the groomers.

Frank

whitedust

Nice report WD. Funny how the trails that don't have a pit stop every 8 miles stay in better shape, eh?

Any where to get eats in Amasa now that the rusty blade is closed?

Horseshoe next to RSB has burgers on small grill....better than nothing but NOT very good.:(

- - - Updated - - -

Guys please, there is no frickin snow and what is there is getting pulverized. I look at these condition question posts about 3 lakes, Eagle river, Minocqua and on and on and say; IF YOU ARE NOT RIDING NORTH OF BRUCE'S CROSSING OR MUNISING AND EAST THE TRAILS ARE SHOT BECAUSE THERE IS NO SNOW AND IT IS NOT GONNA SNOW FOR AT LEAST A WEEK! Keep driving way into the UP or you are setting yourself up for failure and dissatisfaction. It is the Snow God's fault, not the groomers.

Frank

Where are you ridng in UP?..... agree Vilas is inconsistent needs snow but not so bad out of Lando just well traveled has plenty of snow north of Lando. Not going to be perfect but goodish depending on time of day.

Frank

↑ This is so off-point, it's not even funny,,,,,,,Whitedust? Agree?