Land O' Lakes area

shelby369

Hey guys.......... We have better sled suspensions than ever, better grooming equipment than ever, and better ways to communicate good/bad areas than every..... I do remember the 3 foot mogul days of the 80's and 90's with 1 inch of travel on the sleds....... personally I get tired of all the whining when a trail gets a bump on it and it becomes the end of the world..... the clubs are working there rears off trying to give us the best they can all things considered...... the folks up north know were there bread is buttered..... I get it, we all love "flat" but don't forget how it used to be and how far we have come with this sport.......go to your sugar bowl in your kitchen, take out 3 big scoops and try to groom it....doesn't work..... we all enjoyed a epic year last year, this year not so epic...roll with it. If you don't ride all the "bar trails" there is still great riding out there..........

sledhead44

Whitedust, how far is it from Sidnaw to Michigamme through Republic and down to Crystal Falls. Is this a good route. Thinking about heading that way from Presque Isle,Wi. where my brother has a place.
Thanks in advance for any information you may have. Any idea on total miles?

whitedust

Whitedust, how far is it from Sidnaw to Michigamme through Republic and down to Crystal Falls. Is this a good route. Thinking about heading that way from Presque Isle,Wi. where my brother has a place.
Thanks in advance for any information you may have. Any idea on total miles?
No idea of miles but trails are very good Republic to Crystal Falls. Not as much snow by along shot in CF compared to Sindaw & Republic last time thru....Amasa aok too.

goofy600

Sledhead44 I did a ride few years ago from watersmeet to sidnaw to amasa then republic to champion, michigamme back to sidnaw, Kenton back to watersmeet it was a 240ish day with about a 15 mile shortcut if that helps at all.

dragon_07

Hey guys.......... We have better sled suspensions than ever, better grooming equipment than ever, and better ways to communicate good/bad areas than every..... I do remember the 3 foot mogul days of the 80's and 90's with 1 inch of travel on the sleds....... personally I get tired of all the whining when a trail gets a bump on it and it becomes the end of the world..... the clubs are working there rears off trying to give us the best they can all things considered...... the folks up north know were there bread is buttered..... I get it, we all love "flat" but don't forget how it used to be and how far we have come with this sport.......go to your sugar bowl in your kitchen, take out 3 big scoops and try to groom it....doesn't work..... we all enjoyed a epic year last year, this year not so epic...roll with it. If you don't ride all the "bar trails" there is still great riding out there..........

Not whining, just stating the facts on trail conditions. I personally feel that when folks are travelling a long distance to ride they deserve more than the generic and incorrect "good" or "very good" that is posted on numerous sites. And as far as grooming sugar, it was 11 degrees the night prior yet no grooming. Sad part is on the way home three lakes trails certainly did not have a ton of snow but were flat because they were groomed. In the end I have learned that some clubs are experiencing groomer issues and are truly doing the best they can to keep up with the traffic and lack of snow. As I stated earlier and was validated by someone questioning if a four hour drive would be worth it, I just feel folks deserve to know things are far from perfect in northern wi for many reasons this year.

whitedust

Not whining, just stating the facts on trail conditions. I personally feel that when folks are travelling a long distance to ride they deserve more than the generic and incorrect "good" or "very good" that is posted on numerous sites. And as far as grooming sugar, it was 11 degrees the night prior yet no grooming. Sad part is on the way home three lakes trails certainly did not have a ton of snow but were flat because they were groomed. In the end I have learned that some clubs are experiencing groomer issues and are truly doing the best they can to keep up with the traffic and lack of snow. As I stated earlier and was validated by someone questioning if a four hour drive would be worth it, I just feel folks deserve to know things are far from perfect in northern wi for many reasons this year.

I found that the Brule River Kimball trail was best of the day today for afternoon ride. 1pm trails were shot in Phelps then at 17 miles east of Phelps & trails turned white & smoothed out. Phelps trails 17 & 6 badly stuttered & snirty with tooooo many sleds! Knocked off 115 miles of pretty twistys in 3 hours or so. Maybe 3 lakes new groomer is the difference but really was aok with less snow...impressive..imo.:)

groomerdriver

Plenty of snow in PI Lando and such but it's all sugar and won't groom up. Lando groomer went by us yesterday and in 2 miles you couldn't tell it had even been there. Yes east of Phelps is much better.

dfattack

Am I correct in saying once snow is "sugar" it always going to be sugar. In other words...once it becomes as we call it "sugar", can colder temps bring the snow back to it's original state? I don't think so but would appreciate anyone's opinion on this...

I think it's important for the people complaining about the bumpy/choppy trails to know. Just because a groomer comes through and grooms the sugar doesn't mean the snow is going to react like it would have if the temps had remained cold or if it would have continued to snow periodically...adding the fresh stuff. Summing up I don't think sugar can reconstitute into pre-sugar conditions.

Am I right?

whitedust

Am I correct in saying once snow is "sugar" it always going to be sugar. In other words...once it becomes as we call it "sugar", can colder temps bring the snow back to it's original state? I don't think so but would appreciate anyone's opinion on this...

I think it's important for the people complaining about the bumpy/choppy trails to know. Just because a groomer comes through and grooms the sugar doesn't mean the snow is going to react like it would have if the temps had remained cold or if it would have continued to snow periodically...adding the fresh stuff. Summing up I don't think sugar can reconstitute into pre-sugar conditions.

Am I right?

If you wax skis & xcountry ski you learn quickly about all the snow types from polar to klister wax. Fallen snow is in transition every day depending on temp, humidity , age, structure & solar angles. Then add groomers & dirt to the formula & change is even more dramatic. The sugar snow can melt, be mixed with rain & also be mixed with new snow. Groomed sugar snow will hold a ribbon when we get new snow hopefully new wet snow as dry powder snow would not help much & would expire quickly & transition back to sugar. If you look at ungroomed old snow in the woods you can dig down & see the history of weather changes ...not always but try it in a shaded area protected from extreme sun or rain exposure. So yes sugar snow can change with new snow , rain and warmer temps.

karski

Got to Lando today. Staying at the Gateway - our favorite place! Any current trail info would be appreciated. Thanks

dragon_07

Just returned from our Valentines trip back to Land O' Lakes. We were there from Thursday through Sunday and overall the trails were very good. Hats off to Conover, Phelps, and Boulder Junction for getting their trails flat as a pancake. Surprisingly the Eagle River trails have come along nicely which is a credit their grooming efforts. While Land O' Lakes trails were much improved from our last trip, in my opinion they still are not getting them flat even if you ride at first light. After all the discussion of lack of snow, warm temps, high traffic and not being able to groom sugar they had the same new snow and cold temps as surrounding clubs. We met there groomer mid day again which doesnt allow things to set up. Most noticeable was the fact that the back of the drag was the only thing doing any work. I am no genius when it comes to grooming but our groomer driver taught me that when the trails are bumpy you need to lower the front of the drag until the blades actually do some cutting of the bumps. In my opinion this is the main reason you could literally be right behind their groomer and still see bumps. Am I complaining or whining? No I am simply saying that there is a noticeable difference this year compared to other clubs and their own trails in years past.

whitedust

Yep I know what you mean I got behind the groomer out of Lando 6e & he was knocking down 2 footers & as 1st sled thru I just dropped in hole after hole didn't help much but the trail had not been groomed in along time due to groomer down. Riding different Vilas towns & seeing different level of snirt & snow amounts it does raise questions. I know 3 lakes has a new groomer & that new tech does result in a better groom & trail condition with far less snow than Lando & Phelps. 3lakes gets lot of traffic too but Lando is the Gateway to UP & being that hub is a tuff condition...too bad there are not additional entry trails to UP so everyone is not forced thru Lando from east & south not so much from northwest.

Just returned from our Valentines trip back to Land O' Lakes. We were there from Thursday through Sunday and overall the trails were very good. Hats off to Conover, Phelps, and Boulder Junction for getting their trails flat as a pancake. Surprisingly the Eagle River trails have come along nicely which is a credit their grooming efforts. While Land O' Lakes trails were much improved from our last trip, in my opinion they still are not getting them flat even if you ride at first light. After all the discussion of lack of snow, warm temps, high traffic and not being able to groom sugar they had the same new snow and cold temps as surrounding clubs. We met there groomer mid day again which doesnt allow things to set up. Most noticeable was the fact that the back of the drag was the only thing doing any work. I am no genius when it comes to grooming but our groomer driver taught me that when the trails are bumpy you need to lower the front of the drag until the blades actually do some cutting of the bumps. In my opinion this is the main reason you could literally be right behind their groomer and still see bumps. Am I complaining or whining? No I am simply saying that there is a noticeable difference this year compared to other clubs and their own trails in years past.

The reason the groomer was out mid day was because the Frosty Club was trying to be pro-active with knowing the amount of traffic that area was to receive due to the radar run at Bent's Camp. Secondly, the reason the front of the drag was up and the trail was being panned was due to a cutting edge plate in the front of the drag breaking completely off of the drag and hanging by one bolt.