Lebron James and the EL Heat

luke_duke

I was just watching sportscenter and saw the Miami Heats jersey on the front said "El Heat". I am wondering why they would do that...is it in honor of all the spanish speaking illegal immigrants that made the raft ride over from Cuba or South America somewhere and blended into the country illegally the past 2 decades. I guess it could be to honor all the illegals coming from Mexico that have risked their lives to live in our country illegally. Whatever it is, what a great gesture. EL HEAT...my new favorite team. Go Lebron GO...

luke_duke

I just found out they are doing this to honor hispanic population in the the 10 biggest hispanic markets. What a nice gesture. I feel violated and discriminated against for not having my German heritage being appreciated by the NBA. Why not "Die Warme"??

Dave_B

Red Wings, Eh! Blackhawks, Eh! Bruins, Eh! Rangers, Eh! Etc, Eh!

James is a DB

I used to like, and watch, basketball. Now I don't, eh!

luke_duke

Red Wings, Eh! Blackhawks, Eh! Bruins, Eh! Rangers, Eh! Etc, Eh!

James is a DB

I used to like, and watch, basketball. Now I don't, eh!

I watched him play in the high school state tournament several years. I thought he was pretty arrogant then. A class act is one thing he is not.

cat_man_mike

It was funny. "El Heat" actually should have been "El Calor" and "Los Bulls" should have been "Los Torros". Kind of an insult to the hispanic population. Somebody was lazy in the NBA office.

dcsnomo

Wow- some of you guys need to get out and travel a bit to other parts of the country! There are people in this country that have skin a different color than yours, and they and their families are totally legal citizens and have been for generations. And they have jobs and pay taxes and drink beer and watch sports just like you!

If I owned a multi million dollar business called the MIAMI Heat, located in MIAMI (which has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country), I think I would market my MIAMI product to the Hispanic market in MIAMI, and if I pi**ed off 3 white guys in the UP and two in Minnesota I think I would take that risk!

Having marketed to the Hispanic market in Miami in my previous life I found them to be extremely brand loyal and a great consumer to have. Once you get them you keep them. This market is not an illegal alien cooking in a restaurant in Minneapolis. These are multi-generational legal citizens that are doctors, lawyers, policemen, accountants, business executives, and all other types of jobs like the rest of America has.

Marketing to Hispanics in Miami is like marketing to Jews in New York or football fans in Texas. It's where the money is.

The Miami heat really is not targeted at white guys in Wisconsin. It's targeted at the population of South Florida. And in South Florida Hispanics have been living there since 1565 when Spaniards founded St. Augustine.

cat_man_mike

Wow- some of you guys need to get out and travel a bit to other parts of the country! There are people in this country that have skin a different color than yours, and they and their families are totally legal citizens and have been for generations. And they have jobs and pay taxes and drink beer and watch sports just like you!

If I owned a multi million dollar business called the MIAMI Heat, located in MIAMI (which has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country), I think I would market my MIAMI product to the Hispanic market in MIAMI, and if I pi**ed off 3 white guys in the UP and two in Minnesota I think I would take that risk!

Having marketed to the Hispanic market in Miami in my previous life I found them to be extremely brand loyal and a great consumer to have. Once you get them you keep them. This market is not an illegal alien cooking in a restaurant in Minneapolis. These are multi-generational legal citizens that are doctors, lawyers, policemen, accountants, business executives, and all other types of jobs like the rest of America has.

Marketing to Hispanics in Miami is like marketing to Jews in New York or football fans in Texas. It's where the money is.

The Miami heat really is not targeted at white guys in Wisconsin. It's targeted at the population of South Florida. And in South Florida Hispanics have been living there since 1565 when Spaniards founded St. Augustine.

Wow, calm down. BTW it was a leauge wide weekend thing, not just in Cuba, er, I mean Miami.

luke_duke

*****I don't have a problem with that.

Not a racist thing on my end, I hope every hispanic or person that is a minority that is in this country legally does well for themselves including some of my friends who are African American decent and one who is hispanic. I was referring to every illegal piece of carp that is in this country illegally.,..and the fact is there are millions of illegals and the majority are hispanic. Not sure how old you are but I remember very well years ago all the boat load of people on the news entering this country into Florida illegally. They are there just like every major city in the midwest taking a lot of jobs and burdening us tax payers. Doesn't Miami have a district called "Little Havana" and "Little Haiti". I was a little upset after paying my taxes (YES PAY) and seeing the NBA advertising in a foreign language. I pay more in taxes than what I make teaching. Your accusation of me being racist is wrong and further from the truth. Another thing is I don't live in Wisconsin. I have traveled and toured many many countries including Europe on numerous occasions(not for business...but pleasure). I figured someone would make it a racist thing when it isn't and that person is you. I can add you as friend and you can see my pictures in my profile in Europe if you would like.

luke_duke

Oh yeah...this is somehow Lebron James fault. I just hope he continues to choke for "EL Heat" just like he did for the Cavs. I sware I'm going to really try to become a hockey fan in the future. Go Lebron Go!!!!

dcsnomo

*****I don't have a problem with that.

Not a racist thing on my end, I hope every hispanic or person that is a minority that is in this country legally does well for themselves including some of my friends who are African American decent and one who is hispanic. I was referring to every illegal piece of carp that is in this country illegally.,..and the fact is there are millions of illegals and the majority are hispanic. Not sure how old you are but I remember very well years ago all the boat load of people on the news entering this country into Florida illegally. They are there just like every major city in the midwest taking a lot of jobs and burdening us tax payers. Doesn't Miami have a district called "Little Havana" and "Little Haiti". I was a little upset after paying my taxes (YES PAY) and seeing the NBA advertising in a foreign language. I pay more in taxes than what I make teaching. Your accusation of me being racist is wrong and further from the truth. Another thing is I don't live in Wisconsin. I have traveled and toured many many countries including Europe on numerous occasions(not for business...but pleasure). I figured someone would make it a racist thing when it isn't and that person is you. I can add you as friend and you can see my pictures in my profile in Europe if you would like.

Luke-
Just for the record in my post I did not, as you assert, call you racist. Your original post said "I was upset that the NBA would advertise in a foreign language and was wondering why they would do that?" I answered that for you, the reason is that's how you market your product (a private business) to the Hispanic community in Miami. It is not, as you wondered, to honor the illegal immigrants etc. It is to sell tickets and jerseys. in the mid 80's I advertised sour cream, yogurt and ice cream in a foreign language in the Miami market, I was not honoring illegals, I was selling ice cream to them!

Apparently I was a bit heavy handed in my post, for that I apologize. But I just have a basic fundamental issue with posters on this site who believe all Hispanics are illegal when most are not, yet conveniently forget that their great grandparents also came from another country. While we have a major illegal immigrant problem it is not caused by 3rd and 4th generation American citizens of Hispanic descent.

Yes, Miami has a Little Havana and a Little Haiti. New York has Little Italy where the Italian culture and language is every bit as present as Cuban in Little Havana. Chicago, New York, and San Francisco all have Chinatowns where English is a second language, and Chinese traditions prevail. Chicago has Greek Town and celebrates Casimir Pulaski Day as a holiday in honor of the city's great Polish heritage, many of whom are recent immigrants who speak Polish.

This from the NY Times 12/8/10-
On Wednesday night, two of the N.B.A.’s three Italian players will be on the floor of Madison Square Garden when the Knicks play host to the Toronto Raptors on Italian Heritage Night. Somehow it is OK to celebrate Italian heritage basketball in New York, but we find Hispanic heritage basketball in Miami troubling. Why?

Yes, we have an immigration problem. Yes, it is caused primarily by Mexicans. Yes, I wish they all spoke the language. But the Hispanic culture in America is a significant part of our social fabric in the 21st century, just like the Irish, Italian, German, French, etc. was in the 19th century.

As Bill Murray said "Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The ****'s the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts!"

And to answer one more question for you, I am 58, today!

luke_duke

Luke-
Just for the record in my post I did not, as you assert, call you racist. Your original post said "I was upset that the NBA would advertise in a foreign language and was wondering why they would do that?" I answered that for you, the reason is that's how you market your product (a private business) to the Hispanic community in Miami. It is not, as you wondered, to honor the illegal immigrants etc. It is to sell tickets and jerseys. in the mid 80's I advertised sour cream, yogurt and ice cream in a foreign language in the Miami market, I was not honoring illegals, I was selling ice cream to them!

Apparently I was a bit heavy handed in my post, for that I apologize. But I just have a basic fundamental issue with posters on this site who believe all Hispanics are illegal when most are not, yet conveniently forget that their great grandparents also came from another country. While we have a major illegal immigrant problem it is not caused by 3rd and 4th generation American citizens of Hispanic descent.

Yes, Miami has a Little Havana and a Little Haiti. New York has Little Italy where the Italian culture and language is every bit as present as Cuban in Little Havana. Chicago, New York, and San Francisco all have Chinatowns where English is a second language, and Chinese traditions prevail. Chicago has Greek Town and celebrates Casimir Pulaski Day as a holiday in honor of the city's great Polish heritage, many of whom are recent immigrants who speak Polish.

This from the NY Times 12/8/10-
On Wednesday night, two of the N.B.A.’s three Italian players will be on the floor of Madison Square Garden when the Knicks play host to the Toronto Raptors on Italian Heritage Night. Somehow it is OK to celebrate Italian heritage basketball in New York, but we find Hispanic heritage basketball in Miami troubling. Why?

Yes, we have an immigration problem. Yes, it is caused primarily by Mexicans. Yes, I wish they all spoke the language. But the Hispanic culture in America is a significant part of our social fabric in the 21st century, just like the Irish, Italian, German, French, etc. was in the 19th century.

As Bill Murray said "Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The ****'s the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts!"

And to answer one more question for you, I am 58, today!

I understand everything your saying and my post was a little misleading. I have a major problem with my tax bill and the freeloaders in this country.

I am usually taking your side on the race issue, although I still don't like the El Heat bit no matter what.

Happy 58th to you.

dcsnomo

I understand everything your saying and my post was a little misleading. I have a major problem with my tax bill and the freeloaders in this country.

I am usually taking your side on the race issue, although I still don't like the El Heat bit no matter what.

Happy 58th to you.

Thanks Luke! And FYI I had a great birthday!

cat_man_mike

Oh yeah...this is somehow Lebron James fault. I just hope he continues to choke for "EL Heat" just like he did for the Cavs. I sware I'm going to really try to become a hockey fan in the future. Go Lebron Go!!!!

You should become a hockey fan. The Blue Jackets are a decent up an comming team. Go to a game and I bet you will be hooked!