LEGAL off trail riding

DamageInc

Hopefully third time is the charm.

1. Please direct me to an Ottawa National Forest Map that shows cross country over-snow riding opportunities. A link will suffice.

Is it true that cross country travel is allowed in the Ottawa and the Hiawatha? Yes.
Is it legal to do if I just watch for signs that say "no cross country travel"? No.
Is is easy to know which areas I can snowmobile cross-country in either of those National Forests? No.
Is is easy to know where I am and if I am changing into an area with different ownership or rules while riding cross-country? No.

View attachment 62323

You can reply a hundred times; it won't change the fact that you don't know what the F you are talking about.

The question here wasn't "is it easy to know where I can ride?" Nobody said it was "easy" or that there would be "signs everywhere", so I don't know where you got such dumbass ideas. I stated that there are massive areas available for boondocking, and that most of the Watha and Ottawa allow it, which is 100% true. I specifically said that it's not for effing retards who can barely read a trail map! But if "easy" is what you need, there are actually phone apps and GPS maps that can tell you exactly where you are at all times, and give immediate feedback if you are out of bounds or trespassing. That actually does make it really "easy". You could have just walked away from the thread instead of embarrassing yourself again, but people like you rarely do. You try to talk about a subject which you obviously know NOTHING about, and then can't admit you were wrong.

Here are the maps: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/ottawa/maps-pubs
You can also pick up current maps at their service centers, if you can't afford a GPS or app. But I'm sure you won't, because you are clearly only a trail rider who only stuck your nose in this thread to tell everyone "stay on the trail, always".

DamageInc

Thanks, given my obvious lack of intelligence, can you point to which of the maps on that link show cross-country snowmobile riding opportunities on the Ottawa?
I looked before you posted and there are none, maybe you can educate me.

You were probably looking for "off-trail snowmobile maps", which they don't have. The maps are under "motorized vehicle use maps" (MVUM), which show all of the private property and wilderness areas in great detail. Like I said before, it's not "easy", but you can get apps or GPS maps that make it much easier. If you are looking at NF areas and thinking "that's pretty small; I would be through that in 10 minutes", no, you wouldn't. Travel is much slower off-trail, and even a few hundred acres can keep you busy for hours. Are you genuinely interested in learning more about boondocking in the Ottawa, or are you just looking for ways to say "see, I told you that you can't ride there"? What track and lug length are you using?

2TrakR

You were probably looking for "off-trail snowmobile maps", which they don't have. The maps are under "motorized vehicle use maps" (MVUM), which show all of the private property and wilderness areas in great detail. Like I said before, it's not "easy", but you can get apps or GPS maps that make it much easier. If you are looking at NF areas and thinking "that's pretty small; I would be through that in 10 minutes", no, you wouldn't. Travel is much slower off-trail, and even a few hundred acres can keep you busy for hours. Are you genuinely interested in learning more about boondocking in the Ottawa, or are you just looking for ways to say "see, I told you that you can't ride there"? What track and lug length are you using?

MVUM does not in any way shape or form apply to over-snow vehicles. They explicitly state that on the maps. The MVUM also does not depict SPNMA or other "non-motorized" management areas except for genuine Wilderness. The SPNMA that the MN riders got tickets on, up near White Pine, is not depicted as a closed area on the MVUM (or most any other map for that matter).

OttawaNF said:
This map does not display nonmotorized uses, over- snow vehicle uses, or other facilities and attractions on the Ottawa National Forest.

This thread was about advice on legal off trail and presumably cross country over snow travel in three States. You've now agreed that there is no published map from the Ottawa that would help a rider stay "legal" while riding cross country in just that one national forest. And we've shown it's a lot more than just designated Wilderness areas that are not legal for cross country travel in that same NF.

The more riders we keep legal, the less opportunity we have for losing access.

As for my sleds, I have two set up for some off trail work. One is 1 3/4 x 144 and one is 1 1/2 x 137. Obviously not mountain machines, but they are only used in MI/WI/MN. My youngest loves it.

DamageInc

MVUM does not in any way shape or form apply to over-snow vehicles. They explicitly state that on the maps.

I already said it's not a "snowmobile map"! But it DOES show all private property and wilderness areas in great detail. If you stop at a Forest service station and ask where you can boondock in the Ottawa, that is the map that they will sell to you!!!! So no, I have absolutely NOT agreed that there is no map that will help one stay legal! You clearly don't want to learn about this, and are only here to tell everyone to "stay on the trail". Stop telling people that boondocking is "generally prohibited" the UP national forests. You are wrong and dishonest, and we are done here.

From the USFS: The use of snowmobiles cross-country is permitted on the Ottawa, except in areas designated closed to snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are prohibited in designated wildernesses, Sylvania Perimeter Area, and on plowed Forest System Roads. In Semi-primitive Non-motorized Management Areas and Wild and Scenic Rivers Corridors snowmobiling is limited to designated trails. Forest Service Visitor maps identifying these areas are available at all Forest Service offices, these maps can be purchased for $14. Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps do not provide regulations for snowmobile use. These are the same maps that are linked on the site!!!

2TrakR

I already said it's not a "snowmobile map"! But it DOES show all private property and wilderness areas in great detail. If you stop at a Forest service station and ask where you can boondock in the Ottawa, that is the map that they will sell to you!!!! So no, I have absolutely NOT agreed that there is no map that will help one stay legal! You clearly don't want to learn about this, and are only here to tell everyone to "stay on the trail". Stop telling people that boondocking is "generally prohibited" the UP national forests. You are wrong and dishonest, and we are done here.

From the USFS: The use of snowmobiles cross-country is permitted on the Ottawa, except in areas designated closed to snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are prohibited in designated wildernesses, Sylvania Perimeter Area, and on plowed Forest System Roads. In Semi-primitive Non-motorized Management Areas and Wild and Scenic Rivers Corridors snowmobiling is limited to designated trails. Forest Service Visitor maps identifying these areas are available at all Forest Service offices, these maps can be purchased for $14. Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps do not provide regulations for snowmobile use. These are the same maps that are linked on the site!!!

Thank you for reposting and agreeing with everything I have posted by copying it from the Fed's site. I have not said boondocking is generally prohibited in the Ottawa or Hiawatha National Forests, I have said cross country travel is generally prohibited in MI, WI and MN. There are a whole bunch of national forests and other public lands in those three states that prohibit it, much more than the acreage offered by those two in the UP, but we've already established they are the exception to the rule.

The MVUM are supposed to be provided free at forest offices (not sold). They should not be offering those in relation to snowmobiling if asked, but the desk staff do not always know all of their own rules. The hard copy Visitor Map, referenced above, does have a cost.

Both the MVUM and Visitor Maps do not show the Wild and Scenic River boundaries, nor the SPNMA. I'm sure you have one of those hard copy Visitor Maps handy, compare it with the map I posted further up. Easiest to look in the upper left (southwest of White Pine). That whole block is SPNMA and just to the east of Hwy 64 are interspersed blocks of SPNMA, Wild Rivers and some motorized areas. None are shown on their hard copy Visitor Map, or at least not the ones I've seen. Are they shown on your copy? If not, what information do you use to stay "legal" for cross country travel?

I concur that the Fed's statement is confusing when they indicate Visitor Maps are available for purchase that show those areas. I've never seen one that does and I think I have a hard copy of every map they offer. Possible I've missed one and it would be nice to be shown their statement to be true and I am mistaken.

The Semi Primitive NonMotorized Management Areas are a special sore spot for me as we've had the USFS deny our commercial event permits for using county-owned roads that crossed through USFS land that was designated as SPNMA. Street legal vehicles, on county owned and maintained roads, but because some of the land on either side of that county road was managed by that District as SPNMA, they would not allow our event to use those roads. Those Management Areas are not depicted on their published maps, the only way we could learn of them was to put hundreds of hours into planning our routes out and then submit the permit to the USFS, then wait for them to mark it up with denials and restart. Once we got into GIS and the USFS made their MA boundary data available, then we could do more accurate preplanning and save a little time (and still be frustrated on what could/could not be used).

DamageInc

Thank you for reposting and agreeing with everything I have posted by copying it from the Fed's site. I have not said boondocking is generally prohibited in the Ottawa or Hiawatha National Forests, I have said cross country travel is generally prohibited in MI, WI and MN. There are a whole bunch of national forests and other public lands in those three states that prohibit it, much more than the acreage offered by those two in the UP, but we've already established they are the exception to the rule.

The MVUM are supposed to be provided free at forest offices (not sold). They should not be offering those in relation to snowmobiling if asked, but the desk staff do not always know all of their own rules. The hard copy Visitor Map, referenced above, does have a cost.

Both the MVUM and Visitor Maps do not show the Wild and Scenic River boundaries, nor the SPNMA. I'm sure you have one of those hard copy Visitor Maps handy, compare it with the map I posted further up. Easiest to look in the upper left (southwest of White Pine). That whole block is SPNMA and just to the east of Hwy 64 are interspersed blocks of SPNMA, Wild Rivers and some motorized areas. None are shown on their hard copy Visitor Map, or at least not the ones I've seen. Are they shown on your copy? If not, what information do you use to stay "legal" for cross country travel?

I concur that the Fed's statement is confusing when they indicate Visitor Maps are available for purchase that show those areas. I've never seen one that does and I think I have a hard copy of every map they offer. Possible I've missed one and it would be nice to be shown their statement to be true and I am mistaken.

The Semi Primitive NonMotorized Management Areas are a special sore spot for me as we've had the USFS deny our commercial event permits for using county-owned roads that crossed through USFS land that was designated as SPNMA. Street legal vehicles, on county owned and maintained roads, but because some of the land on either side of that county road was managed by that District as SPNMA, they would not allow our event to use those roads. Those Management Areas are not depicted on their published maps, the only way we could learn of them was to put hundreds of hours into planning our routes out and then submit the permit to the USFS, then wait for them to mark it up with denials and restart. Once we got into GIS and the USFS made their MA boundary data available, then we could do more accurate preplanning and save a little time (and still be frustrated on what could/could not be used).

Your exact words:

"Some USFS roads in MI are not open to snowmobiles, varies by forest. In general snowmobiling is restricted to roads/trails and off-trail (cross country) snowmobiling is not allowed on USFS land."

Sure sounds like you were talking about forests in Michigan!

"You've now agreed that there is no published map from the Ottawa that would help a rider stay "legal" while riding cross country in just that one national forest"

Those maps will most certainly help a rider stay legal, because they show over 99% of the areas where they can't ride! But it's 2020, and nearly all riders have at least one GPS in their group. A map should be considered a backup, not a primary means of navigation.

Why do you keep babbling on about this as if you know anything about it, when it's clear that you have never done it, and are only copy/pasting what you find on the USFS site? It's obvious that you only stuck your nose in this thread to tell people to "stay on trail", and you have been repeatedly been dishonest about the law, and dishonest about what you have already written in this thread. It's all still there for anyone to read. Boondocking is obviously not the right sport for you, because you want everything to be "easy". Nothing about boondocking is easy. It's far more physical than trail riding, and it's far more mentally challenging than staying on an 8-foot trail with signs at every intersection. It's clearly not for you, so why are you still typing? I'm guessing that you are one of those people who can't ever admit that they were wrong, and thinks they know it all on every subject.

600_RMK_144

This. This is EXACTLY why I do not go to the UP and hit The Black Hills. Same drive time for us and (pretty much) EVERYTHING is fair game. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE riding out there when they get the pow (which is typically the biggest challenge) but the past two seasons have been epic. Made it out there twice last season and the second it was so deep you could ride literally anywhere with zero risk of land mines. Just sayin. Good luck boys!

2TrakR

Those maps will most certainly help a rider stay legal, because they show over 99% of the areas where they can't ride! But it's 2020, and nearly all riders have at least one GPS in their group. A map should be considered a backup, not a primary means of navigation.

For other's reference and clarity. MVUM only shows designated wilderness. The other closed areas are not shown on a MVUM. The roads depicted are not designated for over-snow use (they may or may not be open to snowmobiles and the MVUM does not say yes or no). That's why the USFS says on the MVUM map, do not use this for over-snow use. Wilderness is only 1/3 of the closed area.

To use a picture to better illustrate. The map below shows the designated wilderness in yellow (5% of the area). The MVUM would show that. The other areas managed as non-motorized (SPNMA, Wild Rivers, etc) are shown in red (14%). According to the verbiage on the USFS site, they offer a hard copy Visitor Map that would show those areas that I show in red. Those areas, however, are not shown on the hard copy Ottawa National Forest Visitor Map that I have, so I am skeptical of their statement (definitely possible I just have not seen it). There could be a newer one or a "different" one. Without knowing what areas, besides wilderness, are closed, a rider would not know if they are legal.

GPS is great, except nobody currently offers a map for a GPS that shows these management areas. They show the area the USFS owns for sure, but not all of the management areas that are closed to cross country travel.

OttawaCrossCountrySnowOptions.jpg

DamageInc

Lol, and you thought it was just as important to try to prove him wrong.

It IS important to correct his misinformation! I want people to know that they can boondock in the Ottawa, and it's not "generally prohibited" as he claims. I'm not the one who joined this thread just to tell people to "stay on the trails" in a thread about legal boondocking. He ruined the thread, not me.

DamageInc

GPS is great, except nobody currently offers a map for a GPS that shows these management areas. They show the area the USFS owns for sure, but not all of the management areas that are closed to cross country travel.

You could have just walked away, but you had to come back and lie one more time. Why can't you just admit that you don't know anything about this? There are GPS maps that show every type of designation for Federal lands, such as OnX. OnX also shows who owns private property, which makes it possible to ask for permission. Sometimes the ownership is out of date, but it's still a great feature, especially for those of us who hunt.

chunk06

You could have just walked away, but you had to come back and lie one more time. Why can't you just admit that you don't know anything about this? There are GPS maps that show every type of designation for Federal lands, such as OnX. OnX also shows who owns private property, which makes it possible to ask for permission. Sometimes the ownership is out of date, but it's still a great feature, especially for those of us who hunt.

I use OnX for business. It is an awesome APP.

2TrakR

While I appreciate the accusations, how about backing up your assertion? Screen shot OnX or other app and show us where it displays Ottawa National Forest Land that indicates if it is managed as SPNMA or is managed for regular "open" usage.
I have OnX, no argument regarding it's utility and their staff seem friendly when they've reached out to me on the phone.

OnX and other apps as well as other GPS maps available do show the ownership, as I've stated previously. Most show wilderness. They do _not_ show what management category the non-wilderness USFS lands are. Or maybe they do and I've not seen it - educate me.

I've given you a map above that shows which areas are open and which are not. That should make it easy to compare with another map and say "see, this one shows it right here too".

Maybe I've missed something, so please correct me. I think you've implied that cross country over snow travel is legal on the Ottawa except for Wilderness. The additional closed areas are not referenced in your other posts, excluding that piece that was copy/pasted from the USFS site but in that same post you only reference wilderness.

Are you aware of what areas are legal for cross country over snow travel and, if so, what are they and what do you use for reference (ie which map, which docs from the Feds, or personal guide or other)?

I realize the sentence structure in my first post really upset you. I apologize. I know what I was saying and I understand you read it differently. In subsequent posts, I've expanded and clarified what I've said and backed it up with maps and links to docs from the USFS. I'm sorry if you don't believe what my reply to the OP was about.

How about instead of calling me a lying liar who lies, you post up the answer to just a subset of the original question? Let's make this thread useful. If you'd rather cover all the areas for all three States, that would be great as well.

Here's the question:

"I'm looking for information for legal off trail snowmobile riding in the Ottawa National Forest".

Here's my answer (in white), compare it to yours and let's see what we agree with:

Snowmobiles are allowed on designated roads and trails, unplowed forest roads and most county roads.
Cross-country over snow travel, meaning no road or trail, is allowed in about 80% of the forest.
They are not allowed on utility right of ways (pipeline/powerline) unless there is also an open road or trail.
Areas closed to cross country travel include designated Wilderness or managed as non-motorized such as Semi Primitive NonMotorized, Wild and Scenic Rivers, Research Natural Areas, Special Interest Areas. The area south of Highway M28 and east of M64 are closed to cross country travel after February.
The Forest Service does not offer a comprehensive map that covers over-snow travel opportunities.
The Forest Visitor Map shows some of these areas, but not all. The forest only offers this map for sale in hard copy format.
The Motor Vehicle Use Map is for wheeled vehicles and does not show which roads and trails are open to snowmobiles. It does show most ownership areas and most Wilderness, but does not show other areas managed as non-motorized. This map is available online and hard copies are available, normally at no cost.

pclark

I think it would be cool if you two guys actually met up out in the forest while boon docking!

DamageInc

I think it would be cool if you two guys actually met up out in the forest while boon docking!

He obviously does not go boondocking, and only posted in this thread to tell everyone to stay on the trail. So the chances of us running into each other are zero.