Life without Rodgers

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going to post this in the existing thread but Jeez I'm ready to move on after that pile of dung we watched on Saturday night. Here's an excerpt I ran across that is a good thought-starter authored by Tim Backes.

By now, if you’re a long-time Packer fan you’re used to heartbreak and disappointment in January.
But this… this is something new. Because normally fans can fall back on “we’ll get em next year.”
This time? Not so much.
The Packers’ financial situation makes it incredibly difficult for the team to bring back all or even many of its key players from the 2020 and 2021 teams. There are simply too many players to pay, and they’re already in a massive hole.
Rodgers’ future has been up in the air since the moment the Packers drafted Jordan Love in May 2020. And now, the path forward is as clear as it’s ever been.
If Rodgers and the Packers cannot win a Super Bowl with the 2020 and 2021 teams, it’s never going to happen again as long as Rodgers is in Green Bay.
Two years with the top seed and homefield advantage, plus an outstanding supporting cast. This year, the team got healthy at the right time and put together the finest defensive performance in a postseason game in at least a decade, and quite possibly longer.
Yes, the special teams was atrocious and resulted in points on the board. But the inescapable truth is that after the first drive of the game, Rodgers could only lead the Packers to three more points in a primetime, must-win home game against an inferior opponent.
The game is up. Rodgers did not seem interested in playing within the offense, and when the going got tough he only honed in even more on Adams.
With the money both Rodgers and Adams would command, it is highly unlikely both would be back in 2022, and impossible that the team would be able to field a roster as strong as this one, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.
With his awful performance against San Francisco, Rodgers gave the Packers all the clarity they need to make their decision moving forward. And the irony is it’s a situation very similar to that of his predecessor.
In January 2008, Brett Favre looked old, cold and checked out against the New York Giants. After that game, the Packers’ brass knew they needed to make the transition to the next era.
The same takeaway will come from Saturday Night’s loss to the 49ers and Aaron Rodgers’ performance. Rodgers failed to deliver two years in a row in ideal circumstances, even after MVP-level regular season performances. So long as he remains on the team, it’s going to be difficult to impossible to build another team around him capable of contending within the time he has left in his career.
For his part, Rodgers already said in his postgame comments that he’s not interested in sticking around for a rebuild. This rebuild would, of course, be necessary largely due to Rodgers himself, as the Packers sold out on the 2021 season to try to make one last run during his championship window.
But these comments essentially give the Packers all the permission they need to do the difficult but correct thing and move on.
Aaron Rodgers’ price on the trade market will never be higher than it is right now. He’s not getting any younger. He’s coming off (presumably) two consecutive MVP seasons. There are always teams willing to give up mega assets for elite quarterback play.
The kind of haul the Packers get in return for Rodgers could help shorten the rebuild and set Jordan Love up for more potential success.
The money saved from paying Rodgers and Adams would go a long way toward solving the Packers’ cap crisis in 2022, though there are certainly plenty more steps the team would need to take to get back above water.
But it would help the Packers keep much of the defensive nucleus intact. With a good defense, a good offensive line and the best running back duo in the league, Love will have quite a bit of support in his first year as a starter. The Packers can use draft assets to beef up the wide receiver position and restock in some of the areas where they will be losing people this offseason.
Rodgers has been a Green Bay Packer for 17 years, longer than anyone else has worn the green and gold. It was never going to last forever.
If the team truly wishes to contend again within a reasonable timeframe, then it must do the right thing this offseason: move Rodgers for big-time assets and get a fresh start entering a brand new era.
If you try to run it back, you’re just asking for more disappointment. The harsh truth is this: the Green Bay Packers’ potential for future success no longer includes Aaron Rodgers.

whitedust

Totally agree only way forward is without Rogers. Management and Rogers both know it so it will be a pleasant parting even if Rogers retires. Love will be good enough to win the North division all teams rebuilding at the same time. Hopefully fans understand this is a business decision due to the cap. Only team I know that was able to win for years and maintain cap was the Patriots and GB did darn well too. Pack without Rogers probably top 15 even while rebuilding so not so bad imo.

durphee

Its one of those darned if you do, darned if you don't situation. Not sure there really is a right decision, just maybe a little "better" decision. I was all for the "all-in" season like they had this year. The regular season was a huge success. Can Packer fans handle a rebuild while Rodgers still in the league and probably in the hunt for a Super Bowl...cause most likely that is what will happen. The assets from a trade would be enormous if done correctly. I guess we need to understand what success really means. Almost every franchise would love to be in this situation, as most are not really competitive. Rodgers is a head case, a guy that has created a lot of his own issues, but he is talented. Not sure why he wouldn't get other players involved Saturday night. Maybe this is the time to move on from Rodgers, lets be honest...the NFC North is a weak division minus the Pack. The Pack could win the division with Love. There has been a lot of talk about looking for another QB....there are not many good options. Love is GB's future QB or else it was an epic bad draft pick cause they could have built up their roster that could have made an impact on ohhh lets say, Saturday night..... (kind of rambling response but still confused on what happened to the Pack)

whitedust

Want a winning tradition compete for SB you need an elite QB under multi year contract. Supporting players contracts need to be managed intelligently perfect example is BB and the Pats. GB has too many veteran stars that want big money so reset is necessary. LA Rams sold out their future for Stafford and other veteran stars for SB this year same as Packers. I get the transition and why the cap is important but the same for all NFL teams. Love isn’t going to get Pack to SB anytime soon but good enough to win the North. Bottom line not much different than with Rogers but the teams future is sustainable.

old abe

Rodgers is never going to win another Superbowl no matter where he plays.
Spot on grub! If he couldn't win with the team he had at his hands Saturday night, he's all done winning any BIG game, anywhere, with anybody! His crap over the last 2 years says it all, eh!

SHOOT2KILL

People are crazy if they think that there wont be a mass exodus of other top free agents when Rodgers moves on...Time will tell but my prediction will be atleast 7-8 additional starters will leave...And theres a good chance Bactiari retires or released due to injury...Theres waaaaay more at stake than #12 leaving....

Packers 2022 free agents​

• Davante Adams, WR
  • Jaire Alexander, CB (fifth-year option)
  • Kevin King, CB
  • Robert Tonyan, TE
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR
  • Equanimeous St. Brown, WR
  • JK Scott, P
  • Chandon Sullivan, CB
  • Josh Jackson, CB
  • Lucas Patrick, G
  • Devin Funchess, WR
  • Will Redmond, S
  • Oren Burks, ILB
  • Hunter Bradley, LS

Last edited:

whitedust

People are crazy if they think that there wont be a mass exodus of other top free agents when Rodgers moves on...Time will tell but my prediction will be atleast 7-8 additional starters will leave...And theres a good chance Bactiari retires or released due to injury...Theres waaaaay more at stake than #12 leaving....

• Davante Adams, WR
  • Kevin King, CB
  • Robert Tonyan, TE
  • JK Scott, P
  • Chandon Sullivan, CB
  • Josh Jackson, CB
  • Lucas Patrick, G
  • Devin Funchess, WR
  • Will Redmond, S
  • Oren Burks, ILB
  • Hunter Bradley, LS
It’s the cap. Challenge is get your young franchise QB and build around him or buy your FA elite QB and go for it with current roster under the cap. Colts are perfect example 1 elite QB away from SB Wentz ain’t it. The current O and D teams are very good. Luck surprise retirement threw a monkey wrench in the process.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member

• Davante Adams, WR
  • Kevin King, CB
  • Robert Tonyan, TE
  • JK Scott, P
  • Chandon Sullivan, CB
  • Josh Jackson, CB
  • Lucas Patrick, G
  • Devin Funchess, WR
  • Will Redmond, S
  • Oren Burks, ILB
  • Hunter Bradley, LS
There's a few on your list that are no longer with the team but we get your point. About half the remaining are "just guys". Adams, Tonyan, Alexander are Gold. The rest...not so much.

Rodgers needs to go, but so does Jordan Love. He’s aweful. Also they need to Cut David Bakthiari. Constantly hurt, time to move on from him too.

Reactions: C W

whitedust

Rodgers needs to go, but so does Jordan Love. He’s aweful. Also they need to Cut David Bakthiari. Constantly hurt, time to move on from him too.
How about Rogers for Jimmy G ,draft choices and players? San Fran doesn’t hold Jimmy G in high esteem but all he does is win.

timo

Be careful for those who want Rodgers gone.

I try not to live in the moment but look at the body of work. He had a great season, mvp. Yah he sucked Saturday. Maybe sucked is too harsh but waddy his standard. His numbers aren’t as good in playoffs for some inexplainable reason. He’s not the reason we lost. If we had any semblance of a competent special teams were not having this discussion.
He’s definitely not the reason we’ve lost past playoff games when our defense gives up 35 points a game.
If your Gutenkust and your confident in your scouting of Love this works perfectly in your hand. Trade Rodgers Addams get picks snd players and reboot. It wouldn’t be a total rebuilt. U have your QB u wanted snd he’s been studying for 3 years, if he ain’t ready now he’ll never be. Thing is they know with Rodgers there a SB threat, with Love prolly trying to scratch out a playoff spot. In a weak division that maybe doable. I think their confidence in Love isn’t as strong as they’d like warranting a first round pick,, if it was this is an easy decision,, buh bye Aaron.

No way on Jimmy G. He’s been riding his defenses coat tails for years. He was awful Saturday. Should been like 3 pick 6’s. He wouldn’t of led a TD drive if u gave him 10 quarters.
It all comes down to what Rodgers wants to do and it seems like he wants a new start somewhere else,, for whatever reasons.
Thing is where’s he gonna go that gives him a better shot at a SB? Pittsburgh no. Everyone’s saying Denver, I don’t see it. They aren’t anymore talented than GB plus it’s cold there too in January. Wilson for Rodgers I don’t see happening. Colts r intruding I don’t know what draft capital they have.
Anyways I’m rambling lots of moving parts,, I think somehow someway he’s still a Packer next season .

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Timo makes some good points and I tend to think the odds are in favor of him staying. It should make for some good conversation over the next few months. I found the following on Packernet.com It's kinda like Google for all things Packers and they list the various scenarios as to how this plays out. I was going to copy and paste but I'm too tired and too lazy so here's the link....

whitedust

I think most fans want Rogers to stay but the “how “ you do that imo is purely economics. The current rooster can’t come back under the cap and reset is necessary in some form. If Rogers chooses to stay he can stay but the trade off is he won’t have high quality players around him and the problem gets more severe with each passing season. The Stafford trade was 2 firsts and 2 third rounders plus Goff. I believe I’m right on the draft choices. If the Pack can swing a deal like that and get a young QB I’m all for it.

indy_500

I think most fans want Rogers to stay but the “how “ you do that imo is purely economics. The current rooster can’t come back under the cap and reset is necessary in some form. If Rogers chooses to stay he can stay but the trade off is he won’t have high quality players around him and the problem gets more severe with each passing season. The Stafford trade was 2 firsts and 2 third rounders plus Goff. I believe I’m right on the draft choices. If the Pack can swing a deal like that and get a young QB I’m all for it.
The one team that most have suspected to be on Rodgers radar, whom I haven’t heard much discussion about, is the Dolphins. I wouldn’t be too PO’ed with a Rodgers for Tua and draft picks trade. I can’t picture many other low cost young qbs that teams would be willing to deal. Is he the next MVP? Absolutely not, but a serviceable QB in the NFL, that with more cap room and draft capital, could attempt to build a winning team with. Another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing in a Packers uni besides Huntley would be Mariota. He’s taken advantage of every Raiders snap he’s gotten and has looked solid, i would give him a shot before Love. Love looks like a lost puppy if he has to make it past his first progression.

bee1971

If anything I thought last year was the year to win it all

This year , they should of lost to SF during the regular season

They should of definetly lost to the Bengals

Hell if the Browns would of just ran the damn ball on that final drive

Arizona

You know , the same thing the 49ers did on that final drive , run the ball

SF was not an inferior opponent - Hell they might end up in the Super Bowl , as a wild card team , like so many wild card teams before them

Teams are no longer scared to come to Lambeau Field in January - Weather my ass

The greatest QB of the regular season EVER , had everything he needed in front of him the last two seasons to win a Super Bowl - Dictated the whole organization this past year

He failed miserably - How many three and outs the past two seasons of playoffs

Brett Favre should of won a Super Bowl with the Vikings , if it wasn’t for a miserable pass across the middle against NO
With the Defense he had in Green Bay , he should of won numerous Super Bowls

Aaron Rodgers is ten times the QB Brett Favre ever was

Two of the greatest hall of fame quarterbacks to ever lace them up - And all we have to show for it is Two Super Bowl wins in 30 years

Dont let the door hit in the ass

Move to Chicago - You own the city