Limp mode

Riding my 2011 renegade bc 800 etec on friday for the first time since the piston update last spring and about 70 miles into the ride the sled goes into limp mode. The symptoms were check engine light, and also when you would restart the sled it would idle fine but no lights would come on not even the dash lights. So I happen to be right by the mosquito so we went and ate. After that it seems to start but with no lights until you hit the throttle and built up rpms, otherwise with you let it idle for 30 seconds the idle would increase on its own and lights would come on and the dash would go thru it's sequence. Ended up towing it to Houghton power sports, Saturday he started it and it sounded great and then he drove it around the build and I could hear the 4 beep sequence and he said when he got around back it just died. They hooked it up to buds and the computer said low voltage code p1562 and high voltage p1563. They tested stator and came back good, they tested the capacitor which tested bad. Has anyone expirence this before and had to replace a capacitor? Just wondering, I have heard of stators being replaced.

indy_500

Buddy just had the capacitor replaced on his 2012 800 etec @ 3800 miles. Not sure how common it is but it happened to him.

Thanks. Yeah I put it on dootalk, I was just in a rush and didn't have time to reseach now so I thought I would just ask.

Well my dealer today said it was an injector that failed. They said an injector failed causing it to run on one cylinder which caused the check engine light. All that put it into limp mode. I asked about the lights and dash not working, they said with the sled only running on one cylinder the stator wasn't putting out enough voltage to charge the capacitor which sends voltage to the lights I guess. That is also why when the other dealer tested the capacitor it wouldn't hold a charge. I don't really know who's telling me the right answer but they told me they put another injector in to make sure that was the problem before they order one for me and it started up fine and ran on both cylinders and no check engine light. I hope we get snow here so I can test it out for a few hundred miles before I take it on another trip.