"liquid aluminum syndrome"

snootbiscuit

hey guys,cooked my pto side on my 08 700 polaris. I will rebuild it myself, I know that the biggest thing is to find out why did it happen so it wont happen again! just curious if any of you have had any issues w/ any of these that I may not be aware of? has about 6200 miles. I run 92, sea and snow and iso. I will take her all the way down and do it right, just dont want to have to it again! thank you!!

raceinsnow

Have you done anything with your air box? The air boxes are a crap design because they leak at the seam very bad(sucking in snow and belt dust).I would look there first.You wont be happy when you see the amount of stuff in the air box and throttle body's.

srt20

X2 with raceinsnow. Also, my 08 700 burnt down because of the intake boots delaminated. Its a problem on alot sleds. Polaris has a new part number for these.

What all happened when it went down? Acting funny at all, idling weird? Or just go down all of a sudden?

I actually siliconed all the way around the headlight, as snow gets sucked into the air plenum there also. Put tape over the headlight adjuster too.

btw I see you run iso. Make sure your fuel is 100% real gas, no ethanol whatsoever, if your gonna run iso. I use pure gas only here most of the time, and I dont add iso at all. These stupid CFI motors are finicky as heck.

Last edited:

ezra

what rpm were you running at when it popped was it steady rpm or varying temp out side do anything strange before went down like high idle low idle slow to idle down?run great at low rpm but bad at high rpm or vice a verse

snootbiscuit

hey guys,thanks for the replies!! had no ethynol! I've been a marine tech for 24 years and was a polaris tech, but that was over 17 years ago! this was 1st trip to u.p. this year. ran for 75 miles, then fueled up in twin lakes,and was on the bill nichols going north. trail was flat and fast. stopped at a few stop signs and sled sounded like it was idling on 1. seemed to run fine at all other speeds, thought maybe i was losing a plug. then pulled off for groomer and it died. pulled plugs and had the lovely grey matter on pto plug. and the beers went down too well after that! seems like the thing to do at that point!! I will check air box ect. when I get into her. thanks again guys!!

srt20

Were you leading or following other sleds? Where did you get gas? Krupps or BP? We had a Rush go down right after filling up in Twin Lakes also. That was Dec.11.

Did you have the ethanol wires plugged in or unplugged?

edit: PM me the place you got gas please.

Last edited:

snootbiscuit

srt20 got fuel at krupps, I was in the lead. dont know of any "ethynol wires" on a cfi ?? I try not to put ethynol in anything i own! I see all the problems with it when wrenching on the boats.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
What day did you fill up? I filled up there Friday morning, Friday night, and Saturday night, and so did 4 others. I filled up with 87, and the I know there was a guy or two that filled up with 91.

Definetly check your carb boots, my 07 6 RMK delaminated also, but I caught it before any damage was done.

snootbiscuit

got it sat. please do not think I'm blameing bad fuel, we would hear of way more than 1 or 2 burndowns! there is a reason why I go to certain est. for fuel, and I am confident I got good fuel! thanks again for all the suggestions

srt20

Well if you dont know about the wires, you must not have them plugged in. They are near the left side panel, just under the hood, back by the secondary. I forget the colors of them. Its a single wire on each with a bullet connector. I am assuming you dont have the dec. 08 reflash? You buy it new?

We had 4 sleds fill up there too, same hose, and only one burnt down. 91 oct. also. My sled is the finicky one, so I dont believe my buddies problem is fuel either. I think my bud sucked in snow.

I would be checking your intake boots out really close. Like I said Polaris has an updated part for them. And even the new ones have had some issues. So anyone reading this, be checking your intake boots often.

Only other thing that would make sense, would be clogged fuel filter. Have you ever changed it? According to Polaris, every 2,000 miles for the filter. I had 3,000 on mine and it was restricted.

Either way, boots and filter.

snootbiscuit

to srt20. not sure about reflash, I will check w/ my dealer.I will def. check all that you have recommended, thank you for the replies and advice!

snootbiscuit

tear down today,getting parts ordered. really didnt see anything wrong w/ the intake boots, but air box is coming apart at seam, need to reseal!!

pippy_b

My 2008 Dragon Switch 700 burned down 1 1/2 years ago in the UP at 3000 miles. Luckily it was under a 2 year engine warranty. The only thing salvagable was one cylinder. It needed a new crank too. Please let me know if you would like to see pictures of the bad parts to compare, I have a few!

pippy_b

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• Bad Jug Right side.jpg
    Bad Jug Right side.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Bad Piston Right Side 2.jpg
    Bad Piston Right Side 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Bad Piston Right Side 3.jpg
    Bad Piston Right Side 3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Bad Piston Right Side.jpg
    Bad Piston Right Side.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Burnt Head.jpg
    Burnt Head.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 82

snootbiscuit

yikes! mines not too bad. need a cylinder, and the end bearing near clutch is loose on crank, got a call into my rebuilder, might just have him weld? I think crank was "walking" a little and seal then leaked. also looks like I had a leak between halves! doing it right!

snoeatr

I lost a cylinder on my 07 Dragon 700 2 years ago at 5200 miles. It spun a ring until the ring caught an exhaust port. Had to get one jug and hoaned the other. 2 pistons and rings and it runs great again. I did hear that the original pistons had a problem with the pin that holds the rings in place breaking.

Mine acted exactly the same when it was letting loose. Lower idle but had power most of the time. Felt like a fouled plug. Got onto a fire road and opened it up. Didn't take long and I heard that famous depressing tone of a single lung. Stopped and pulled the plugs and the mag side was grey. Uhhh! Sounds like your on the right track to putting it back together for aleast another 5k miles.