Lock em up!

latner

Wondering how many of you take the time or even feel the need to cable/chain sleds together when parked overnight. I never have, but paranoia is starting to creep in with stories of stolen sleds that it's got me thinkin.

Lock them upEvery night. The first time I went to the Up the guys I went with said what are you doing the second night one of their sleds was stolen then they all chained up to me

snowchief

Totally depends on where I'm staying, if we're at a bigger hotel where I can't hear or see the sleds we chain them up or put them in the trailer, if we're at a cabin off the beaten path usually just get them close to cabin and pull the key and don't worry about it, I've even just simply taken my spark plug caps off the plugs too just for little added insurance at night, I've heard of a couple places near by home where guys sleds would get stolen from the bar during the day of course that was when you could actually ride around here

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought this was a post about Hillary and Trump.

Me too, and you can include congress also.

On the topic at hand. Wouldn't the digital key or fob on the newer sleds prevent them from starting? The thief would have to order a replacement from a dealer and thus identify himself. I suppose they could scrap the machine for parts but that seems like a lot of work and would take time. The older machines with a mechanical key, yup, take the key when you park it.

old abe

Me too, and you can include congress also.

On the topic at hand. Wouldn't the digital key or fob on the newer sleds prevent them from starting? The thief would have to order a replacement from a dealer and thus identify himself. I suppose they could scrap the machine for parts but that seems like a lot of work and would take time. The older machines with a mechanical key, yup, take the key when you park it.

X2 on all!

mrbb

good insurance is a MUST have IMO
Crooks today can defeat chains and cables as if they ain;t there,
heck up in Canada, I know a few folks that had whole truck and trailers stolen over night parked outside there hotel door?

I never locked mine up to date in the USA< but yrs back we did in Canada , do to so many being stolen all the time

personally, I try to park mine always back in trailer, if nothing, to keep new snow off it! and allow for maybe a little warmer place to melt some snow off!

NOW I will add this

BUT IF you leave your KEY in a sled, and it gets stolen, I BET< its the same as if you leave a KEY in a VEHICLE
99% of all insurance company's will NOT cover the theft, blaming you for it instead!
called negligence ! LOL
SO< if you do this and it gets stolen, DON"T mention where you left the key!

yrs back when so many sleds all used the SAME key, it didn;t matter but now a days, why give a INS company a reason to screw you, we already pay too much for coverage IMO!

ddhanna

heck up in Canada, I know a few folks that had whole truck and trailers stolen over night parked outside there hotel door?

I never locked mine up to date in the USA< but yrs back we did in Canada , do to so many being stolen all the time

personally, I try to park mine always back in trailer, if nothing, to keep new snow off it! and allow for maybe a little warmer place to melt some snow off!

NOW I will add this

BUT IF you leave your KEY in a sled, and it gets stolen, I BET< its the same as if you leave a KEY in a VEHICLE
99% of all insurance company's will NOT cover the theft, blaming you for it instead!
called negligence ! LOL

yrs back when so many sleds all used the SAME key, it didn;t matter but now a days, why give a INS company a reason to screw you, we already pay too much for coverage IMO!
Allstate does.

Willh

People regularly leave their cars running up here in the winter when they run into the grocery store. Especially when it's very cold. I saw 5 cars running with no one in them 2 days ago at Pat's IGA in Calumet.

tsg

55 years old, been riding for 45 years, ride newer sleds, and I / we have never locked a sled up. Personal choice and belief in fellow man(ha!!!)

With 3 kids who ride worry more about whether those riding are adequately insured, from a liability standpoint.

Technology and good insurance helps. Comp. and liability insurance is cheap protection should anything happen, but younger riders with higher displacement and higher $$ sleds may disagree with this, but still money well spent.

NOW I will add this

called negligence ! LOL

Never heard of the key in scenario = no coverage. What bar do you get your legal advise?

1fujifilm

People regularly leave their cars running up here in the winter when they run into the grocery store. Especially when it's very cold. I saw 5 cars running with no one in them 2 days ago at Pat's IGA in Calumet.

This post brought back memories from the early 80's when I used to see cars running in front of bars, I'm sure they just went in for cigarettes though.

Bear

1fujifilm

55 years old, been riding for 45 years, ride newer sleds, and I / we have never locked a sled up. Personal choice and belief in fellow man(ha!!!)

With 3 kids who ride worry more about whether those riding are adequately insured, from a liability standpoint.

Technology and good insurance helps. Comp. and liability insurance is cheap protection should anything happen, but younger riders with higher displacement and higher $$ sleds may disagree with this, but still money well spent.

Yup about believing in our fellow man,
I picked up a fellow snowmobiler on Interstate 41 North in Green Bay that had a truck/trailer out of gas yesterday, just a simple gesture.
I felt the same way, you have to make an effort to help people or the world will continue it's downward spiral.

Bear

srt20

Though I am not an expert, I have to think that large amounts of snowfall hamper criminal activities. I have to think if a person wants to become a car thief and or criminal, the U.P. is probably not the best place to start or maintain such a career....

- - - Updated - - -

The only place I have ever locked up my stuff is Hurley. Though if I ever get to Revelstoke, they will be hidden or locked up as well.

srt20

I'll bet Flo does too!

Seems others have had some experience in Hurley also? That is where my sled was "lifted".

I have not had anything "lifted" in Hurley, but many stories, including one with a Blazer and a stripper........