Locked gates and no grooming north of Mohawk

ICT Sledder

Anyone know the story on the no grooming and locked gates north of Mohawk? Have been seeing it all week on Facebook. Not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just an honest question.

I see just about every other club in the western UP posting up about great to decent trails for the most part, and putting up photos and vids of their groomers out doing their thing. But when it comes to Keweenaw Trail Services it’s like they’re closed for business. Have a video of the KTS President (I think) talking about how they don’t have enough snow yet to groom. As far as I can tell the only grooming was Stretch running his groomer from Mohawk down south to wherever he lives. One pass down.

Again, not trying to be a thorn, just have a HUGE sled trip planned over Christmas week/weekend and am confused and getting a little worried.

And yeah, I know it’s going to heat up next week. Seems like even more reason to get out and compact the trails at least once.

eao

No one knows.....for sure but rumors are that logging equipment has not yet been removed...

Best place for more info on Snowmobile Trail Reports north of the Houghton/Hancock Bridge are at Keweenaw Trail Reports...

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately Lisa who runs the Keweenaw Trail Reports Facebook page, is NOT getting any answers either about the locked gates and no grooming north of Mohawk. It seems to me that once AGAIN the club up there is not being honest, or transparent, about what is going on. Just heard it is due to logging operations.

Last edited:

ridesrx

I am sure I am going to be flamed for saying this. It has been the best place in the world for me for riding. When it's good, it's great. While this area has always been my first choice for riding, it is getting less and less appealing every year. It seems the trail closures for logging get worse every year. With trail 3 being closed for going on 3 years now due to the flood(which nobody could do anything about), moving most of the traffic up 17 isn't a great thing, logging closing trails like 122 and 133 or 134, whatever it is. Not being able to get from Lac Le Belle to Gay without going all the way back out sucks. And now the Bear Belly restaurant closed, even going over there now doesn't sound good. The Ramada losing it's bar and restaurant. I don't know, we have been going there for 20 years, and the 8 hour drive to get to closed trails is wearing thin. And I am a mostly positive person. I accept change, but with all the changes for the worse up there, the recovery doesn't seem to be happening. Those poor people trying to keep their businesses alive have to be hurting. Who knows, maybe they don't care if less people come up there. There are always plenty of people complaining about rough trails. But I have to wonder if the reason they put out a new promotional video this year, which was very well done, is because they are seeing a decline in snowmobiling customers? Not trying to cause a war of words. Just one group's opinion. I don't think we are alone in this.

ICT Sledder

The entire trail system north of Mohawk is closed as of today. Officially. That’s not an exaggeration. And the folks that know aren’t saying why.

This is close to being a massive PR problem here in about a week or ten days when folks start showing up for Christmas trips. Folks that aren’t glued to forums and facebook groups and who aren’t clued in to the problem.

Last edited:

eagle1

I am sure I am going to be flamed for saying this. It has been the best place in the world for me for riding. When it's good, it's great. While this area has always been my first choice for riding, it is getting less and less appealing every year. It seems the trail closures for logging get worse every year. With trail 3 being closed for going on 3 years now due to the flood(which nobody could do anything about), moving most of the traffic up 17 isn't a great thing, logging closing trails like 122 and 133 or 134, whatever it is. Not being able to get from Lac Le Belle to Gay without going all the way back out sucks. And now the Bear Belly restaurant closed, even going over there now doesn't sound good. The Ramada losing it's bar and restaurant. I don't know, we have been going there for 20 years, and the 8 hour drive to get to closed trails is wearing thin. And I am a mostly positive person. I accept change, but with all the changes for the worse up there, the recovery doesn't seem to be happening. Those poor people trying to keep their businesses alive have to be hurting. Who knows, maybe they don't care if less people come up there. There are always plenty of people complaining about rough trails. But I have to wonder if the reason they put out a new promotional video this year, which was very well done, is because they are seeing a decline in snowmobiling customers? Not trying to cause a war of words. Just one group's opinion. I don't think we are alone in this.
Totally agree unfortunately.

brad460

Don’t ever question a snowmobile club or groomer driver! You need to be happy with whatever you get!

If you don’t like it join their snowmobile club and do all the work yourself..

These folks are untouchable and immune from criticism..So much so, you should always apologize (like the OP did) before even asking a question of these folks.

Tread careful as one of the hostile ones will be along shortly to remind you..

whitedust

Don’t ever question a snowmobile club or groomer driver! You need to be happy with whatever you get!

If you don’t like it join their snowmobile club and do all the work yourself..

These folks are untouchable and immune from criticism..So much so, you should always apologize (like the OP did) before even asking a question of these folks.

Tread careful as one of the hostile ones will be along shortly to remind you..
Say nothing and conditions never ever going to change. Constructive criticism is a good thing. Loss of business speaks very loudly.

WorkHardPlayHrd

A ton of complaints is what brought change to the Munising area. We vowed after 2012 to never ever go back. Then in 2017 we had a promised trip to Minnesota with our children. The Temps roared to 70. In order to get ahead of the front we went to Manistique and went north to Miners Castle with 3 young drivers. I was astounded at the difference in conditions. A complete 180.

With the closure of trail 3 north of Houghton we have not gone north of twin lakes. It's just to much traffic for the system to handle. I'm saddened by the loss of the Bear Belly. We loved the place. Right now the situation in the peninsula is just not ideal.

indy_500

Very well said. Yes I’m in a club. Yes we’ve lost trails that we can’t find solutions for. But we also don’t have an endless amount of revenue coming our way from riders all over the Midwest, some driving as far as 8 hrs to come ride. Not to mention they’re always 3+ weeks late on getting the bridge ready. The keweenaw is a snowmobile Mecca, and they desperately need to get these issues fixed so the entire area can thrive. It is saddening to see all of these things evolve over the years, as that is the area I fell in love with when I first started coming up there 12ish years ago.

old abe

A ton of complaints is what brought change to the Munising area. We vowed after 2012 to never ever go back. Then in 2017 we had a promised trip to Minnesota with our children. The Temps roared to 70. In order to get ahead of the front we went to Manistique and went north to Miners Castle with 3 young drivers. I was astounded at the difference in conditions. A complete 180.

With the closure of trail 3 north of Houghton we have not gone north of twin lakes. It's just to much traffic for the system to handle. I'm saddened by the loss of the Bear Belly. We loved the place. Right now the situation in the peninsula is just not ideal.
Spot on! We hope that the Gogebic area can duplicate the same results as the Munising area group SORVA has done, A absolutely outstanding job!

ICT Sledder

The current news is that Trail 3 is closed at a spot not far northeast of the Vansville intersection and turn off.

Trail 130 is closed for a section between Eagle River and Eagle Harbor.

Trail 133 between Lac La Belle and Gay is also still closed.

The short section of Trail 130 from 3 down to Eagle River closed.

Trail 124 from 3 down to Gay closed.

(EDIT: Have been told 124 is NOT closed. The lack of hard info right now is bizarre.)

So unless you know away around any or all of these, then you're not getting north of Vansville Bar/Phoenix. And you're not crossing the lift bridge either.

The folks that are trying to get answers seem to be getting told "another couple of days" over and over. There really are no hard answers, at least as far as the public is being told. It's logging, but since when has logging effectively closed down the entire trail system up there?

Last edited:

old abe

Very well said. Yes I’m in a club. Yes we’ve lost trails that we can’t find solutions for. But we also don’t have an endless amount of revenue coming our way from riders all over the Midwest, some driving as far as 8 hrs to come ride. Not to mention they’re always 3+ weeks late on getting the bridge ready. The keweenaw is a snowmobile Mecca, and they desperately need to get these issues fixed so the entire area can thrive. It is saddening to see all of these things evolve over the years, as that is the area I fell in love with when I first started coming up there 12ish years ago.
Very well stated indy!

ridesrx

I wonder if there is a way to start a discussion with the companies that own the land, or the logging companies, and try to work out a plan that gives them all of the access they need, and not use the trails as their roads in and out. I am by no means implying these companies shouldn't be able to run their business and make their revenue. They are in business to make money, and they should. But they cut trees for a living. Can't they cut a road into where they need to go from a main highway, or fire road access point? Even if they had to cross a trail, that could be easily handled like a road crossing with stops signs for sled traffic. But it wouldn't shut down the whole trail. I don't think the clubs would have much success in these negotiations. It might need to be handled by the state rep for this district. I wonder if he, or she is a snowmobiler? Or maybe an association of all the business up there. Could there be an agreement on a date they would need to be off of the trail? Maybe move opening day back a week or two, and give them more time before the snow gets too deep. Both sides will have to give to make it work. A deal is only a good deal if both sides are satisfied. Just thinking out loud here, well thinking in my head and typing it. Maybe this has all been tried and failed already. I don't know. I just hate to see this year after year. I have had some great trips up there in mid December in the past. It wouldn't make sense right now to try it the way things are. I think the problem can be solved, but it will take more than the local clubs to get this done.

whitedust

You are allowed to ride thru logging areas at the good grace of the logging companies. Piss them off and you’re gone. Walk on eggs with loggers best behavior is mandatory they don’t like us pesky snowmobilers are a pita something that slows them down and are a safety hazard.

gade-thrasher

I wonder if there is a way to start a discussion with the companies that own the land, or the logging companies, and try to work out a plan that gives them all of the access they need, and not use the trails as their roads in and out. I am by no means implying these companies shouldn't be able to run their business and make their revenue. They are in business to make money, and they should. But they cut trees for a living. Can't they cut a road into where they need to go from a main highway, or fire road access point? Even if they had to cross a trail, that could be easily handled like a road crossing with stops signs for sled traffic. But it wouldn't shut down the whole trail. I don't think the clubs would have much success in these negotiations. It might need to be handled by the state rep for this district. I wonder if he, or she is a snowmobiler? Or maybe an association of all the business up there. Could there be an agreement on a date they would need to be off of the trail? Maybe move opening day back a week or two, and give them more time before the snow gets too deep. Both sides will have to give to make it work. A deal is only a good deal if both sides are satisfied. Just thinking out loud here, well thinking in my head and typing it. Maybe this has all been tried and failed already. I don't know. I just hate to see this year after year. I have had some great trips up there in mid December in the past. It wouldn't make sense right now to try it the way things are. I think the problem can be solved, but it will take more than the local clubs to get this done.
I totally agree. With the massive amount of fire roads, I can't understand why the logging companies always need to use the snowmobile trail as their access. In addition to that, in WI, trails aren't closed for logging operations. We just go around them. I'll admit, I'm ignorant on how the logging operations work in MI. But I just simply can't understand it.

dfattack

Correct me if wrong but aren’t their access roads the snowmobile trails? In other words, now it’s suggested that the land owners make new roads because snowmobile clubs have taken them over for their use? Don’t get me wrong, I agree conversation should happen if any type of solution is possible but if I’m the landowner I’m thinking that we are now asking them to make another access road because we’ve taken over their existing road. Not sure how that’s a win for the land owner.

euphoric1

Correct me if wrong but aren’t their access roads the snowmobile trails? In other words, now it’s suggested that the land owners make new roads because snowmobile clubs have taken them over for their use? Don’t get me wrong, I agree conversation should happen if any type of solution is possible but if I’m the landowner I’m thinking that we are now asking them to make another access road because we’ve taken over their existing road. Not sure how that’s a win for the land owner.
I agree that it sucks with all the trail closures and I will admit because of them we have stayed south of twin lakes more often than not for many years now, one way up and one way down just doesn't excite me at all. And I also agree that this hurts the businesses in the Kee and that is honestly the most unfortunate end result of closures. But...I agree completely agree with dfattack, all of these trails run through privately owned land and we should be fortunate that we have a trail system at all, all thanks to the land owners and the clubs who make it possible through gaining permission for access and maintaining the system but in the end its private land we are allowed access to. I also agree discussion may be good as long as we don't forget it's not our land and it's not our right to ride it, otherwise the end result may be worse than what we are having to deal with due to closures.

wfd123

I agree that it sucks with all the trail closures and I will admit because of them we have stayed south of twin lakes more often than not for many years now, one way up and one way down just doesn't excite me at all. And I also agree that this hurts the businesses in the Kee and that is honestly the most unfortunate end result of closures. But...I agree completely agree with dfattack, all of these trails run through privately owned land and we should be fortunate that we have a trail system at all, all thanks to the land owners and the clubs who make it possible through gaining permission for access and maintaining the system but in the end its private land we are allowed access to. I also agree discussion may be good as long as we don't forget it's not our land and it's not our right to ride it, otherwise the end result may be worse than what we are having to deal with due to closures.
So, as of now. No one can get to copper harbor or are we waiting for the gates to open. My first trip up is at the end of January.