Lodging recommendations for Houghton???

snobinge

Looking for recommendations for our annual guy's trip. We have a group of 10-15 guys that go up every year. This will make 9 years in a row! We have been staying in Hurley for the past 7 years. I am trying to convince the group to go to Houghton/Hancock area this year. Some of us are more into off-trail and some of us just like to get away and enjoy some nightlife and oh yeah snowmobile a little. This is why it needs to be in Houghton...I prefer Mass or Twin Lakes myself. Please let me know what is out there that can accomadate a group this size. Thanks for all your input!

powder_hound

I would stay ay the wildlife refuge cabins in south range. Lori and Dave guide off trail riding there also that is just a blast ( small fee for it). i have stayed there a lot and have nothing bad to say about the place.

snobinge

Thanks for the replies. Looking to be in Houghton. I am familiar with both places and would use either if it were a smaller group of guys. With the bigger group we need to be in the city so we can park the sleds at night and hit the watering holes!

snobinge

Looking for a condo or house that will accomadate the whole group(10-15). We always have stayed at Haven North in Hurley. Anything like that in Houghton/Hancock?

kevisip

Super 8 at the bottom of the hill. Heated garages for your sleds, and hotel has a pool, and a jacuzzi, and a sauna for those aching backs. Also close to some really happy bars. Then just up the hill is some good riding.

Or if you want to take your buddies to a romantic place, stay at the beautiful B and B, The Larium Manor in, with great sized rooms, great breakfast, and grandmas warm chocolate chip cookies at 11pm after riding all night long!!

samc

The Super 8 is a nice place but does not have a heated garage for your sleds. That is the Best Western Copper Crown - Great place. It depends on what one is looking for.
Our group use to stay at the Copper Crown, since 98 but over the past 2 years we've moved to the Ramada. You can not go wrong with either of these places.

asmski

I find most of the cabins I rent on one of these two websites.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/michigan/upper-peninsula#a11066

or

http://www.keweenaw.org/PlayingHere/Lodging/tabid/1028/Default.aspx

We have a group of about 12 that also comes up to Houghton each winter for a weekend since I graduated MTU 7yrs ago. We have never found a condo/cabin/house in Houghton that met our needs. We have stayed here: http://www.exploringthenorth.com/cottage/getaway.html and here: http://www.ecologyusa.com/Keweenaw_Acres_Vacation_Home.html Both are nice and can fit 10+ people (and pets) but they are a short drive out of Town. No walking to the nightlife.

Most of the places everyone listed are nice, especially Wildlife Refuge Cabins and Best Western, but I know that it gets expensive to take a large group to any of these places. We have to take our dogs too and that adds even more problems for finding a place.

fire126

The bridge view cabins in handcock are nice .They have two houses that look over canal, M&M and the Ramada. They are listed in the northwoods directory. We have stayed there a few times. Gas up the street and great bars and food.

zrgrl

We've stayed at the Wildlife Refuge Cabins with a group of I believe it was 12 and we all fit comfortably. Definately check it out, the cabins are clean with heated floors, fireplace, two bathrooms, a kitchen area, and a sauna! The trail is right out of their parking lot literally with gas stations just down the trail. Dave and Lori are great! Couldn't have asked for anything more!

hoffmansledder

I also have to vote for the Wildlife Refuge cabins. We stayed there last year and were very happy with everything. Lori and Dave are some good folks. I know it is not in a big town, but I was thinking there was a bar or two in the town with in walking distance from the cabins. Can anybody verify on the bars or the lack there of in South Range.

junior1

There are three bars if you count the VFW hall stumbled I mean walked to them all once or twice from the cabins.

loriwlrc

Thank you everyone for the thumbs up, haven't been on the net in awhile, trying to keep up with the gas station and getting ready for hopefully a busy season.Reminder we also do have plenty of parking,3 sizes of cabins,and are only 5 miles from Houghton and Hancock's after hours entertainment. Course you can find some pretty good entertainment in the parking lot ,right junior1? Thanks again everyone!

zrjes

If your really looking to stay in Houghton downtown area, I would have to say the Ramada is a very good choice. Good food, nice bar, and close to houghton/hancock downtown areas. I also have to add the Pool and Hot-Tub are very nice after a long day on the sleds.

Added Bonus: It is nice having M&M powersports next store for rentals, parts, oil, etc.....

Or you can alwasy just pitch some tents in the parking lot of M&M, Chad loves overnight guests!

Thumbs up for Ramada

Stack

chad66

If your looking for a cabin and bars it's tough to beat the location of Bridgeview cabins. A stones throw from the Uphill 41 and the UpperDeck(ramada's bar) and even a short brisk walk to the DT right across the bridge. And it will be much warmer than tenting in M&M's parking lot! Otherwise I'll gladly give you the address for Stack's house in Mohawk and I'm sure he'd take you in. Right STACK!?!

Chad@M&M