looking at ski doos, need advise

jonesin

i live in lower michigan and dont ride much anymore but like having a sled in the barn for storms like this or going to upper lower or something, i am still riding an 03F7 but rode a 05 600 renegade the other day and liked the stance and it seemed pretty quick, thinking about changing for the ride alone....

I am looking at picking up a different sled and was comparing 2 different ski doos, both 2009, both renegades, both have rebuilt motors, from cam up, one is a 600 etec asking $4500 and one is a 800 ptech asking $4000

the 600 has 3500 miles now, 600 E-Tec renegade with the x package, comfort handlebar riser, saddlebags, dash bag, etc. Engine was rebuilt less than 300 miles ago professionally. 136-in studded track with I believe 96 studs Only 3661 miles.

the 800 has 5900 miles now, 1000 after rebuild, Ski-doo MXZ Renegade that runs great and is ready to ride. It has Freeride front suspension, Pilot DS2 skis, KYB shocks in the front and Fox shock in the rear. 2” track in perfect condition, no tears or ripped lugs, no studs. Basically the entire sled was rebuilt 3 years ago including the engine, clutches, suspension and rear skid. No expenses ever spared on this sled. Just rode it 130 miles on 1/13/23

now that im almost 60 i dont feel quite the need for speed that i used to and was really considering the 600 but i am not sure what to do.
I havent seen either in person, i am supposed to see the 600 when the owner gets back from vacation this week and the 800 is 1 1/2 hours away and i just havent gotten there yet with this weather.

are the prices worth it?

thoughts or advise?
i know very little about ski doos....

latner

What happened that both have already been rebuilt? What's your budget? Me personally, I would keep looking, or at least try to get the price down on the 600.

wiscrev

It seems high to me! More like $3m-3500 on the 600 especially since they have been rebuilt. Might want to look further. The 600etec is a great engine.

jonesin

with the 600 they didnt exactly know, said they were 80 miles into a ride and it seized i believe
with the 800, his uncle was the orig buyer, older and was having a hard time pull starting it, said it had low compression so he bought it, stripped it down and started over

I was thinking that they were rebuilt would be a good thing

my budget is cheap, yes i could by a 10-12k sled but it would just sit most of the time, i could find a short track cheaper definately and may still go that way.
I ride when we have snow or maybe go to kalkaska for a weekend or a friends cabin or something.
I have a 2000 indy 500 I have had since new and my kid was riding around the farm but it needs a rebuild again and now that my youngest is 16 i want to be able to ride with him on the trails, thats what we did last weekend on the borrowed skidoo.

ddhanna

600etec
These have been known to hit 10,000miles no problem as long as the oil ratio is set correctly
Oil ratio doesn't help much with isoflex crank bearings which is the common failure. My 2012 puked at 4100 miles. Stupid design if you ask me.

blkhwkbob

Those prices are high to me, and I don't usually pick on prices. I would go for the 600 but try to get the price down a bit. Stay away from Ptek.

Magnumb

Oil ratio doesn't help much with isoflex crank bearings which is the common failure. My 2012 puked at 4100 miles. Stupid design if you ask me.
It is an issue if you suffer a failed seal and lose the grease prematurely.
The one to fail is the outer PTO, and it's the easiest to monitor and add grease if need be. Plenty of people don't have this issue, but to keep it at bay and get over 10k it's literally a 30 minute job. Pull the drive clutch, clean the bearing seal real, real good, then pop off the outer seal. Lube the bearing liberally and put together.

attakman

The one to fail is the outer PTO, and it's the easiest to monitor and add grease if need be. Plenty of people don't have this issue, but to keep it at bay and get over 10k it's literally a 30 minute job. Pull the drive clutch, clean the bearing seal real, real good, then pop off the outer seal. Lube the bearing liberally and put together.
I still don't like the Ptek's, and wouldn't recommend a sled with that motor to a "new to ski doo guy"

old abe

Agree. Fett Bros. offered a kit so as you would never have to worry about the IsoFlex failing.

ragsled

Back in 2014 I bought a used 2011 MXZ TnT 800 PTek with 4000 miles for $4000. I bought that on purpose because of the carbs versus the injection. I figured I could always throw in a crank or a new top end myself and not worry about the injection being the cause of a burndown Still have it with about 6500 miles on it and never touched it, just used it as a backup last year a few days on a UP trip. Like others said just keep an eye on the seal and or add a retainer.

saber1

i dont know but have u considered a 4 stroke less maintenance and very low chance you will need a rebuild ,maybe an 2011 Apex with the power steering

hermie

If you are going with one of the 2 in this thread I would go with the 600. If it were me I would see if you can find a 14 or newer and get what they call the xs chassis. Much easier to get hood off to do maintenance. Some 13 came in the xs too.

but did you ever have maintenance done to the crank. we do them all the time and add extra isoflex grease to the pto side and have sleds still going at 14,000 miles,, Even all the Etec motors should have added isoflex grease to the crank at around 5000 miles, until you get to the 850 etec, it uses different design on the crank

Magnumb

Back in 2014 I bought a used 2011 MXZ TnT 800 PTek with 4000 miles for $4000. I bought that on purpose because of the carbs versus the injection. I figured I could always throw in a crank or a new top end myself and not worry about the injection being the cause of a burndown Still have it with about 6500 miles on it and never touched it, just used it as a backup last year a few days on a UP trip. Like others said just keep an eye on the seal and or add a retainer.
I had a Ptek as well and the oil ratio from the factory was set at 48:1 or so and i adjusted to down to 40:1. 48:1 would have probably been ok, but i beat on that sled pretty hard and wanted to be sure it could take it.

Last edited: