Looking For a New Tow Rig!

local897

I sold my old trusty 04 F-150 crew on the lines of upgrading to a diesel for a tow rig. Before I didnt need anything really to tow now that my sled stays in Rockland BUT I bought a RZR-S. Now my buddy wants to get one as well so it is time I think to step up to a Diesel rig that has to be a crew cab. I would now be haulen 2 weekends a month to ride the side by's and one will most likely be to Rockland. Am I thinking wrong by wanting a diesel with a better power curve but more up keep over a gaser. Lets hear what you guys that have done this think. I am thinking of geting a Chevy 06-07 lbz diesel so if anyone has one please chime in.

Attachments

• Snowmobiling 12-07 033.jpg
    Snowmobiling 12-07 033.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 101
  • _DSC1730.jpg
    _DSC1730.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 2010-12-11 09.14.43.jpg
    2010-12-11 09.14.43.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 102

gffdc1045

Local897,
I have both gas and diesel, gm and ford in my work fleet. If you are going to tow heavy loads (15000 +) or intend to keep and drive 250,000 miles, I would stay with gas. The diesels are great to work with and milage is better (most of the time) but... The inital buy in and repairs almost always wipe out the savings. Also you have to do a little planning as not everywhere has diesel once you get off the main highways, and I have never had to plug in my gasser in the winter. I love the diesel I drive every day but if I didn't need the hp I would be driving a gasser. Just my opinion.

switch07

I have an 06 Dmax and will never go back to a gasser. I pull a 15000 lb fith wheel and need the power. Alltho I do not pull the fith wheel often, about three times a year, due to having a seasonal site. The fuel mileage out ways any extra cost in my opinion. Plus when you trade it or sell it you will almost always get some of the upfront money back because of the diesel. I have never plugged in my Dmax in the winter, in fact can someone tell me where the plug is, lol. I have been in the yoop when it is -20 and it has started no problem. I guess I would plug in if it was colder than that, after I find the plug that is. I have 79,000 miles on the girl now and have never put a nickle into her other than oil and filter changes. Oil changes run about 65 bucks and a fuel filter once yearly, another 80 or so. To me it's worth it, just my opinion tho.....Good luck on your choice...

jeff

the new ford f150s have had rave reviews on thier new trucks. 20+ mpg with full size 4x4s and awsome power and tourque PLUS huge towing capacity!

yamahauler

I have the redesigned 09 F150 and I know the newer ones are a little better but I am getting 21.5 mpg avg on the road not towing. The guy I bought it from I know and he was pulling a 30-35 foot fifth wheel getting 16-18mpg. It does have the heavy duty towing package so it is basically a 250 towing capacity on a 150 frame, etc...also has the tranny cooler and Ford factory brake controller.

slimcake

I have the redesigned 09 F150 and I know the newer ones are a little better but I am getting 21.5 mpg avg on the road not towing. The guy I bought it from I know and he was pulling a 30-35 foot fifth wheel getting 16-18mpg. It does have the heavy duty towing package so it is basically a 250 towing capacity on a 150 frame, etc...also has the tranny cooler and Ford factory brake controller.

With a half ton??? Calling bs on this.....

jeff

you bet ford is the best hands down. NOTHING can compare! the f150s are out preforming the 3/4 ton chevs and dodge gasser hands down.

rv245

Before anyone says BS

I have a 2010 HD2500 6.0 CC with a 3.73 rear end. I have seen 16 mpg on it, BUT this is babying it. Most of the times it's running between 14 and 14.5 mpg. Pulling my inline it's between 11 mpg and 11.5. Even though tow capacity means something the main thing is stopping. A 1 ton or 3/4 ton pulling a heavy load will stop better than 1/2 ton.

mjkaliszak

Leave it to me to ramble on dragging things off topic. If you buy a new Ford get ready to drive to the dealer when you blow the 1st trailer fuse. They seemed to come out with a new style fuse (20 amp ) in their power distribution panel ( motor fuse block ) and the only place I could find one was the dealer. It was $5.63 and another guy I ran into whom ( helped me ) blew one and paid $8.00. Kind of sticks you if your not preparred , not to mention all the time wasted figuring that one out...

Like DAD said.... New Technology is a great thing until it breaks.......

999 posts.... I must have a problem !

yamahauler

skeeter and slimcake, I'll try to remember to take a pic of the instrument panel that shows the mpg next time I fill up, then you will both owe me a case of beer.

I have no reason to bs ya, I also thought it was somewhat crazy when the guy I bought it from said that but he wasn't joking.

Also, this is a supercab, not an supercrew. Has a soft tonneau cover and nothing is hauled in the back day-day. I also don't stomp the gas at the top of the ramp so I do drive it nice.

cuzzinolaf

skeeter and slimcake, I'll try to remember to take a pic of the instrument panel that shows the mpg next time I fill up, then you will both owe me a case of beer.

I have no reason to bs ya, I also thought it was somewhat crazy when the guy I bought it from said that but he wasn't joking.

Also, this is a supercab, not an supercrew. Has a soft tonneau cover and nothing is hauled in the back day-day. I also don't stomp the gas at the top of the ramp so I do drive it nice.

Take a picture of the mileage odometer that was reset when you last filled up and the gas receipt showing how many gallons it took. The instrument panel readings are never accurate.

srt20

Maybe you arent trying to bs anyone, but then your dash panel is not accurate at all. But 16-18 towing a 30-35 ft is not happening. Thats a helluva big trailer for a 150, even if it has the towing package, thats got to be close if not over the GCVWR.

edit; I believe 21.5 empty is possible, not disputing that number.

Last edited:

yamahauler

Will do, it was accurate against the receipt.

I can't say for towing as I haven't towed anything like that yet, just empty is what I can verify.

slimcake

I would hate to pull a 35ft gooseneck with my 3/4 ton gasser let alone a 1/2 ton. Sorry man thats BS..... I have a lot of commercial mileage experience to know what trucks can and can't do..... I have a 09 150 in our fleet with the 5.0 liter. Gets 15 mpg putzin around 18 if highway and 10 if pulling. So sorry to bust your bubble...

yamahauler

Maybe my memory is wrong on the trailer size as I don't own it. I do know that it was a fifth wheel as the hitch was taken out.

slimcake....you will be baffled when I have the pics.

700classic

Lets get back to Local's question. I think a diesel would be a little overkill with what you are going to be pulling. F-150 w/ trailer pkg. would do just fine. I not sold on diesels unless your pulling a house behind you all the time. No savings on the price of fuel, fuel mileage no better when not towing. Better ride than 3/4 ton. Purchase price usually cheaper. By the way my wife's 2010 f-150 Supercrew 4wd 5.4 liter gets between 19 & 20 mpg regularly carrying approx 5-600 lbs in the back and a 48 in. lightbar across the top.