Looking For a New Tow Rig!

heckler56

700classic said it best that a diesel might be overkill for your application. i ran diesels for the last 11 years and cannot dispute the pulling power they offer. Unfortunitly the cost of diesel fuel has been higher than premium over these last 11 years.

The best tow/road vehicle I ever had was a 2003 Excusion diesel. No lying folks, that animal got 22mpg on the highway (validated filling up and not an idiot gauge). Really wish we did not sell that beast. Last road trip was pulling the sleds from Milwaukee to Munising and back on 1 tank of fuel.

I recently sold off a 2005 F350 for a new F150 with the Eco Boost. The engine seems to pull like a diesel, but the mpg is not impressing me. On the highway we have only seen 17, dispite everyone saying they get 20. (I have the 3.73 rear end which could impact that). My son bought at the same time a new F150 with the 5.0 and a 3.55 rear end. He is getting close to 20 on the highway.

I am a Ford guy and suggest you look at the new F150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 rear end (better hwy gears). If you think you need some pulling power, go with the 3.73 rear end.

My $0.02

saber

X2 on what Heckler said. A diesel would be nice but probably a little overkill.

I have a 2011 F150 with the 5.0 and the 3.55 gears. The overhead is showing 20.7 on the xway at 70 with the cruise on. I have only pulled a few times with it in the 4000 miles I have had it but it is fantastic from what I have seen.

Before looking used you may want to think new. Ford had 0% financing right now and some other incentives you may be closer than you think to getting a new one with a warranty.

Also something to think about is to make sure if looking used you get one with a 6 speed trans. The gear ratios are closer together and they pull a lot nicer at 70 when the tow/haul mode is on and o/d is locked out.

I towed a 5000 lb trailer back from Florida over the summer with a 09 F150 with the 5.4 and had the tow/haul mode on. It had a sweet spot at 70 mph for speed and engine rpm. It pulled great. Mileage was about 11.

The new F150's with the built in trailer programmer feature is really nice too. you can program 4 different trailers and save them in case you have more than 1 that you pull.

Last edited:

arctiva

03 chevy duramax here 189k
Back in 03 when i bought mine diesel was around 1.29 a gallon and gas was around 1.79. The diesel feature was 5k over a compareable 3/4 ton gasser. The fuel to gas saveings can be and are huge when you compare apples to apples with a diesel vs gasser of the 3/4 ton and up flavor. Compareing a diesel to a half ton is not a fair comparioson by any means. Pulling around 2 side by sides or 2 sleds or 2 regular 4 wheelers with a diesel is and allways will be way over kill. But if you have the coin then its your choice and thats all that matters.

In 03 i bought the diesel because diesel was cheaper and they got better mileage than the 01 5.3 chevy i had. I went from $80 a week in gas to $30 a week in diesel which saved around $200 a month out of pocket cost this saveings lasted for 2 years at best as diesel has been more than gas for lots of years now. And now the newer ones require a extra fuel to be added that cost more money.

Buy what you want and can afford to drive is the bottom line

L

lenny

Arctive makes a good point

I've had both gas and diesel and prefer the diesel and usually haul nothing. I had a Jetta TDI, my wife drove it everyday and loved it, averaged 40 MPG and the best ever 52 for 3 tanks over the road. I run a 94 Cummings now and best ever was 23.2 and average 20 but than again I live in da UP and most driving is highway just in shorter trips. Torque is addicting in my experience and I am marveled at the way diesels climb hills, seems to run easier and at low RPMs. Do they stink, yea! Do you sometimes need to plug them in, yea! does the fuel cost more, right now yes! If well maintained over the years will you get a better resale, appreciate the power, able to haul heavy loads better, better mpgs Yea! I think it outweighs the initial cost of the purchase. I paid 4 even for my 94 Texas rust free very good condition Dodge. Bottom line, buy what you think you will like based on research and be happy regardless if it's a gaser or diesel. My old Excursion with the 5.4 pulled okay but nothing like the Dodge I have now. Wheel base is something but wheelbase and torque is the tops.

Last edited:

windingtrailgal

Bigdaddy's a Ford guy - still has his '93 F350 big block, crew cab...the next vehicle was the diesel '04 Excursion...

per what Heckler said "The best tow/road vehicle I ever had was a 2003 Excusion diesel. No lying folks, that animal got 22mpg on the highway (validated filling up and not an idiot gauge). Really wish we did not sell that beast. Last road trip was pulling the sleds from Milwaukee to Munising and back on 1 tank of fuel."

Yup. Bigdaddy went diesel for durability. The Excursion wasn't what he wanted but with 3 kids and a dog, we needed the extra room than a crew cab gives with all we travel. We don't get rid of cars...we drive them til they're done done and dead. When we bought, diesel was cheaper than gas. That wasn't true within the first year... And there's just no need to compare gas milelage with the old '93 and what's out there today.

Not an engine kind of gal...this is what I know about the decision that was made and can say that even pulling the '32 ft trailer we still get about 15. Technology has come a long way since we bought it tho. Have a buddy who has the diesel 250 crew with the short bed (am sure you guys'll know what it's called?!) and he gets 22+ going 80! But he's a diesel mechanic and I couldn't list all the mods he's made to the truck.

Bigdaddy doesn't regret his decision to go diesel at all. I don't think he'll ever go back...

I drive a 4 banger '93 jeep...my towing capacity is a bicycle and I get 15... :D

gator800r

I ordered the my 2007.5 duramax LMM when diesel was cheap by the time I got it diesel had climbed in price and not come back down so the money I was thinking I would save never happened. When I bought the truck I had a use for it. I pulled a 35' fifth wheel and a 27' enclosed snowmobile trailer. I was very happy with the truck but fuel milage was never great. I got about 11-13 mpg pulling and about 17 running empty. I have since bought a vacation home in the UP and sold my fifth wheel and enclosed trailer. But I love my truck and it will be sitting in my garage for a long time even though all I pull now is my boat during the summer and my snowmobiles up for the season and back at the end. So my opinion is the diesel by itself is worth it for the power and torque. My truck has never down shifted pulling anything. Power and torque is addicting. To me it also depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck for if you plan on driving it to the ground by all means go with a diesel if you don't hold on to your vehicles for long then go with a gasser. I think everyone can agree though don't look for big gains in MPG with the new diesels you just won't find them but nothing beats pulling with a diesel. My truck is bought and paid for now so MPG don't really matter buy a diesel get it paid off and you won't care what your spending on fuel because you don't have that monster truck payment. A $500+ truck payment buys a lot of fuel. Im going to drive mine till the wheels fall off.

mvedepo

I've towed my little 16' enclosed with 1/2 tons, (2009 F150, 2007 Tundra, 2009 Yukon XL) but after towing with my 2011 F350 diesel I'll never go back. The smoothness of the torque alone is worth it. Also with the 1/2 ton pickups I got 9-10 mpg towing and 17-18 normal driving. Now I get 14.5 towing and 18.5 driving around tthetown.. In fact my mpg is starting to get better. The other day I was cruising at 60 mph and was averaging 26.5 mpg. Not bad for a 1 ton truck!! Also I like the extra mass for towing in the winter. There were times before when the trailer was "driving" the 1/2 tons. Not so with the F350. Dont ever see myself going back. Unless they put the 4.4 diesel in the 150. I'd be interested in that.

truck_and_trailer6.jpg

Last edited:

mvedepo

I have the redesigned 09 F150 and I know the newer ones are a little better but I am getting 21.5 mpg avg on the road not towing. The guy I bought it from I know and he was pulling a 30-35 foot fifth wheel getting 16-18mpg. It does have the heavy duty towing package so it is basically a 250 towing capacity on a 150 frame, etc...also has the tranny cooler and Ford factory brake controller.

No way on the 16-18 mpg towing a 30-35 ft 5th wheel.

Also I think your towing numbers are a bit skewed.
The best towing currently for a F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is the 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73/4.10 gears, standard bed (5.5' box) and it's 11,200 lbs with a gross combined weight of 17,100 lbs, a gross vehicle weight of 7650 lbs, and a max payload of 1900 lbs.

The F-250 Crew 4x4 is the 6.7, 3.55 gears, standard bed (6 3/4' box), is 14,000 lb towing with a combined weight of 23,500 lbs, a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs, and a max payload of 2430 lbs.

Now for an apples to apples here are the numbers of the F-150 with 3.55 gears. Max towing is 9,600 lbs, a gross combined weight of 15,500 lbs, gross vehicle weight of 7650 and a max payload of 1900 lbs.

That is a 4400 lb towing advantage (46% increase). An increase of 8000 lbs gross vehicle weight (52% increase).

There really is quite a difference. Now if you throw a couple hundred more in the kitty can grab an F-350 with same specs as above, here are your numbers and get a gross combined weight 23,500 lbs, a gross vehicle weight of 11,500, and a max payload of 3620 lbs

Here is an easier layout to read.

F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is the 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73/4.10 gears, standard bed (5.5' box)
Max Towing - 11,200 lbs
Gross Combined Weight - 17,100 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight - 7,650 lbs
Max Payload - 1,900 lbs

F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is the 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, standard bed (5.5' box)
Max Towing - 9,600 lbs
Gross Combined Weight - 15,500 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight - 7,650 lbs
Max Payload - 1,900 lbs

F-250 Crew 4x4 is the 6.7, 3.55 gears, standard bed (6 3/4' box)
Max Towing - 14,000 lbs (+46%)
Gross Combined Weight -23,500 lbs (+52%)
Gross Vehicle Weight - 10,000 lbs (+31%)
Max Payload - 2,430 lbs (+28%)

F-350 Crew 4x4 is the 6.7, 3.55 gears, standard bed (6 3/4' box)
Max Towing - 14,000 lbs (+46%)
Gross Combined Weight -23,500 lbs (+52%)
Gross Vehicle Weight - 11,500 lbs (+51%)
Max Payload - 3,790 lbs. (+99%)

So in a nutshell, there is a big difference between the F-150 with a towing package and the Super Duty.

snowsdog1

5.5' box?

Manufacturer use to not recommend towing a fifth wheel with the 5.5' box, it was 6.5' minimum for fifth wheel applications has that changed?