Mackinac Island info

polarisrider1

Looks like the Mackinac Island City Council has adopted new snowmobile permit fees.
Those that cross the ice bridge (highly recommended) will have to purchase a day pass permit for $5.
For more info go to www.msasnow.org

sweeperguy

That's so lame, I loved going there, guess I have to say now. I USED to love going over. Won't go anymore at least unless they revoke it.

sweeperguy

didn't see anything on msa or their city council page? Have a direct link?

I tried looking on MSA site also and could not find anything either.
The only news info on the island coming up on google search is about the sisters that backed off the cliff on an arctic cat in 2010. In appeals court and being ruled on yesterday.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

The Mackinac Island State Park Commission updates it's snowmobile policy in May. The city council amended it's snowmobile ordinance on Wednesday, Oct. 14. Wow and it finally gets published in January.

That reminds me.... I need to buy a trail permit still.

polarisrider1

That's so lame, I loved going there, guess I have to say now. I USED to love going over. Won't go anymore at least unless they revoke it.

Really, over $5. Omg. You can still ride the ice bridge. Permit is for the island which is a state park. Ya... I know it's another tax on us.

polarisrider1

Going to the island on sled in the winter is awsome. Very rare does the ice bridge happen. Riding the island, parking in the fort on an RMK Pro over looking it all, parking at the steps of the Grand Hotel, Governors mansion, Pink Pony, pics of the mighty Mac, here's my 5 spot. And they know it.

sweeperguy

Really, over $5. Omg. You can still ride the ice bridge. Permit is for the island which is a state park. Ya... I know it's another tax on us.

I think it sets a bad precedent, I ride in alot of state parks if I had to buy for each WOW. And was it a state park decision, or was a city council decision. What if cities and towns start having access passes. Are the towns with the only gas for say 40 miles going to charge some exorbitant amount? Trip planning is hard enough already. Trail pass is going up to 60 next year also? Is it not?

Last edited:

polarisrider1

I think it sets a bad precedent, I ride in alot of state parks if I had to buy for each WOW. And was it a state park decision, or was a city council decision. What if cities and towns start having access passes. Are the towns with the only gas for say 40 miles going to charge some exorbitant amount? Trip planning is hard enough already. Trail pass is going up to 60 next year also? Is it not?

Most cities have a room tax at the motels and hotels already in place. You are ready paying a fee to stay there.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't cars and motorcycles have to pay for state park passes.....yes. so I suspect snowmobiles are next . The government just takes and takes at all levels. Talks are going on fees for hikers on the White Pines linear state park also.

mikes99ss

Just to clarify.... Mackinac Island in NOT a state park. Part....of Mackinac Island is a state park and is actually closed to all Snowmobile traffic and always had been. IMG_20150307_141004843.jpg

mikes99ss

If you look to the right in this pic you can see on of the baricades keeping the sleds out of the state park part. Taken last year. IMG_20150307_113857900_HDR.jpg

1fujifilm

What is next?
4 strokes only from 9 am TO 4 pm.

mikes99ss

Anyways, $5 is the magic number. I suspect it will cost all that plus some to try and enforce it. Another blunder.

Agreed, our local county park here in town implemented a $5 fee and its all but shut the park down. Locals were so mad they just stopped going there. Their $5 cost them thousands.

polarisrider1

If you look to the right in this pic you can see on of the baricades keeping the sleds out of the state park part. Taken last year. View attachment 53039

Ok, looks like half the island is state park and closed on the interior portion of it. But you can ride a sled all the way around the perimeter. But it's the island city council requiring the permit, not the state. Maybe the bars will validate (buy) a permit for you if you spend a bunch . (Wishful thinking).

- - - Updated - - -

I can see a huge parking lot out on the ice out from the school/library area, and everyone walking the very short distance to downtown to get around the permit. But to cruise main street for $5 if never been there will be worth it.