Man Unofficially Breaks World Record In Northwoods

miaferominka

ST. GERMAIN - A man in the Northwoods has unofficially set a new world record while raising awareness for a special cause.

Dustin Shoemaker of Greenup, Illinois started riding his snowmobile around Big St. Germain Lake at 9 Tuesday morning.

He continued to ride around and around until 9 this morning.

The previous world record for the most miles rode on a snowmobile in a 24 hour period was 1,407 miles, but Shoemaker unofficially broke the record with 1,474 miles.

He persevered through the cold, hunger and pain to raise awareness for a rare form of liver disease that his daughter Hannah suffers from known as Biliary Atresia.

He says, "After seeing her suffer we wanted to do what we could to help out; you can't beat a father's love for his daughter."

In addition to breaking the record, Shoemaker hopes to raise funds for Biliary Atresia research.

To donate to this cause you can send donations to: U.S. Bank, Hannah Shoemaker Benefit, 1400 Charleston Avenue, Mattoon, IL 61938, or Showmaker has a paypal account, revguy1@live.com.

All the funds donated will go to Biliary Atresia research.

Shoemaker adds that The Guinness World Records will have to finalize his record.

600hoic

Banned
61 MPH seems kind of fast to be riding a snowmobile. He is going to ruin the sport for all of us. Driving that fast he must have crossed his side of the trail in the turns too!

upbarleyboy

61 MPH seems kind of fast to be riding a snowmobile. He is going to ruin the sport for all of us. Driving that fast he must have crossed his side of the trail in the turns too!

Re-read the article. He was on a lake going in circles. And 61 is not that fast!!!

Depending on what the course was like and the conditions, it is somewhat difficult to really judge whether 61 is fast or slow. Keep in my mind, that's the average, which includes stops for refueling, bathroom breaks, and slowing down for turns and bumps and visibility at night. That also includes fatigue, which is a huge factor. In my book, 300+ miles in a day is a huge day, so going 1400+ is extremely impressive, even if it was on a lake.

upbarleyboy

Agreed on both counts. I'm actually surprised he went that slow - honestly.

I would think he started off running hard (in the 80 mph range). As fatigue set in towards the end, he would have had to back off. The reflexes and awareness must have been next to nothing. 60+ mph average for 24 hours is pretty impressive. Great job for a great cause.

I just want to know what kind of CAT was pulling that Yamaha?? Probably a TZ-1...but maybe it was an old cougar, or thunder cat.... :)

And who cares what oil he used....that puppy will be on ebay in a week!

I was just being sarcastic (or snarky) about the oil like a few of the other posts referring to previous thread topics (no offense intended to anyone). You're right though, that's some serious wear and tear on any machine.