Mercer area conditions

ertl

Just looking for a update for trail coditions around mercer. Heading up the 14th and staying till Sat. Any info would be great as we are flexible in heading any direction.

pyroking

I rode the area yesterday from Hurley to Mercer then 8 east to 15N to 6E to watersmeet and all those trails were very good considering the traffic.

ertl

Thanks

Thanks for the info. We will be riding on wed-friday so that should help with the sled traffic.

parker

Along with the condidtions ..
Does anyone know if the E & L Gas Station is still open just south of Mercer right off of Trail 17 ?

skidoo891

When we were up there at Christmas it looked they were closed. There are a couple of gas station in town right off of the railroad grade. They sell ethanol free gas.

junior

I just got home from Mercer last night. Stayed at Great Northern. The trails for the most part were really good. Rode to Sayner and Arbor Vitae Sat. Trails were OK there, but noticeably thinner. Heading back up Wed.

renegade

If the E L station is open, they have not bought gas in awhile. Prices were over the 3 bucks still. Lights were on on the pumps but when I saw the price I never got off sled to look into it any further. Was 2.09 in town.

polarfox

I just got home from Mercer last night. Stayed at Great Northern. The trails for the most part were really good. Rode to Sayner and Arbor Vitae Sat. Trails were OK there, but noticeably thinner. Heading back up Wed.

The trails around Mercer SUCK bad. My bet is these trails have not been groomed yet. We rode from the Minocqua area to Sayner and then up to Boulder J via Star Lake, and then over to Manitowish Waters and trails were good to great until we turned north from Manotowish waters headed towards Mercer. From there the best way to describe it was F'g horrible! They should be ashamed. I would avoid until somebody you trust tells you otherwise.

It was winter blast this weekend in Mercer by the groomer barn. Maybe that was the reason. I was there last Sunday and the grade was fine. What trails are you talking about in particular?

Also, I just saw on the facebook page they had a groomer go down on trail 182 and by the pics looks like it took quite awhile to get it out.

Last edited:

Ramsey

We are in Mercer now, came back from BJ this evening on 8 and it was J U N K. Planning to head north tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better that way.

ridindirty800

Was in Mercer area Friday and it was fine. Came from Minocqua and headed to bearchasers, down to the flowage and then over into Price Co. trail 182 where they could not groom until last week was rough till Price Co. But what can you do about that. The swamps that could not be groomed until the last week where bad everywhere. By Saturday most trails all over the northwoods were toast with the warm temps and traffic. But hey at least we are riding.

marty700

I stayed in Manitowish Waters and rode through Mercer on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, the trails through Mercer were excellent. Temps topped out at about 12 degrees and traffic wasn't heavy until Friday night. On Saturday, temps climber into the 30's and the Mercer Sno-Goers had their annual winter blast. The traffic was HEAVY. During the event, the club was running their groomer continuously on the grade (trail 17) from trail 8 to the point on the grade where they meet the Hurley club. That helped. In the past, Mercer grooming left a lot to be desired. Last year and this year, they have really improved.

junior

I just got home again from Mercer last night. the trails were noticeably worse than the week before. Saturday we did not ride far because they were just wash boards. The area was packed. teh Great Northern and other hotels werre booked solid. I think that was partly due to the ffact the previously the area had been excellent. They need fresh snow now

heitz66

I am heading up to Mercer Jan 22 driving 450 miles is this really going to be worth the trip. May not get another chance this year. Im used to riding on 3 to 5 inches in ditches and corn fields, so I was thinking Mercer has to be better than what Im used to. Just looking for some opinions. Been reading the previous post about trial conditions and starting to worry it may not be worth the time and money

cats19

they are scheduled to keep getting snow up there. we are heading up there in couple weeks too.
if the snow line keeps spreading it will spread the traffic out which will help.
one thing I can't stand when the traffic is bad is the whoops on the grade

Mxzx440

Rode all last week Tuesday up to Saxon then we'd up and around gogebic then Thursday over to boulder junction/presc started seeing a lot of traffic Thursday afternoon so went to price co on fir best trails I have seen in 20 years. F y I don't complain about rough trails on the weekend in heavy traffic area u should know better.

marty700

Heitz - there are definitely still some fair to good trails to ride in the Mercer area. Even with the heavy traffic and warmer temps, my group found some very nice trails on Saturday afternoon. You just have to avoid the high-traffic trails, like 8 and 17. For example, the two trails to and from the Flowage were very good to excellent -even on Saturday afternoon. (The Flowage, however, was tricky - don't pin the throttle. There are smooth flat spots on the Flowage, but there are many very rough spots and they just appear out of nowhere.) Also, the Iron County trails North of Mercer and West of Pine Lake held up very well.

Its not the best riding Mercer has seen this year, but defintely well worth the trip. Also, you could always trailer 45 minutes North to the UP if somehow things go to garbage.

maddog24

Just run your sled a couple miles north ( 310 Road ) and you will be riding White Thunder Rider trails ( Hurley) They do a much, much better job of grooming.

timo

when and where is this snow you're talking about?
Haven't had a inch of new snow in this area in I don't know how long.
right now it's 30* and not a cloud in the sky.
weekend calls for low to mid 30's.

they are scheduled to keep getting snow up there. we are heading up there in couple weeks too.
if the snow line keeps spreading it will spread the traffic out which will help.
one thing I can't stand when the traffic is bad is the whoops on the grade