Mercer WI area info

Tuck

well been doing all that and then some since 1999 so don't think it will change other than the scope of work I would be willing to take on being solo and not having a crew. Still its a big decision to pack up and start all over being the new guy in town, building relationships with vendors, subs, clients....
The trip went well saw and learned a lot. Seriously considering a place we saw in Conover. Like the fact that it is within 1 hr drive time to most of the county.

Tuck

we did decide to put an offer in on the place only to find out in the am that there was an offer put in late the day before with 10am expiration the following morning. So needles to say our offer was too late. Still looking for the right place for us.

pclark

we did decide to put an offer in on the place only to find out in the am that there was an offer put in late the day before with 10am expiration the following morning. So needles to say our offer was too late. Still looking for the right place for us.
You'll find it and it will be awesome when you do, you will love it up here.

Tuck

Well we have expanded our search area and once again I would like to ask for information anyone is willing to share about Marinette, Forest, and Florence Co areas.

indy_500

Well we have expanded our search area and once again I would like to ask for information anyone is willing to share about Marinette, Forest, and Florence Co areas.
I do not own property or live in the aforementioned counties, but having ridden or vacationed there over the years, along with the areas you originally were targeting, I felt the need to chip in. I as well have aspirations to own a vacation home and/or live in the northwoods some day (although my dream may be a little farther out than yours though!).

It sounds to me like you don’t need to be on a lake but wouldn’t mind, and that you want to be somewhere with a good “vibe”. To me that sounds like you’re looking for that area or town with northwoods “charm”, to be surrounded by good people, with decent amenities and establishments nearby. It also sounds like this is a snowmobiling focused purchase, and you want to be in a snowmobile emphasized community.

With that said, you at MINIMUM need to stay north of Highway 8 to find reliable snow. That wipes out a good chunk of marinette county. You’re left with the Pembine/Dunbar area though in the very northern part, with next to no lakes around in that area so that lessens area housing. The trails are often great in that area due to low traffic, but they do allow side by sides and atvs on the snowmobile trails in marinette county, which would be a big downfall, as they don’t place much emphasis on the snowmobile community. Pembine/Dunbar are neat small towns, with a few really good restaurants, but overall are very limited on amenities, as well as the local economy being fairly poor in that area. You would be close to iron mountain though which would be convenient for necessities.

Florence county has iron mountain bordering the east side of it, which would be convenient. Trails there are often EXCELLENT due to little to no traffic, but overall, there’s not much population or existence in the county. You have town of Florence, and spread eagle, and that’s it. There’s a few decent lakes scattered, especially in the spread eagle area, which you may find some decent vacation homes in, but I’m not sure I’d enjoy being that close to iron mountain, as outside of going there to utilize an abundance of shopping conveniences, I really don’t like iron mountain as the poorer northwoods economy takes a hit on the quality of the people in town (might be a little bias as I live in a very nice suburban town).

Forest county, you almost need to stay in the northern half to get reliable snow as well, which has little to no existence/population up there. Again, great riding to be had as there’s minimal traffic, but next to nothing north of Crandon outside of Argonne, which I don’t think is what you’re looking for either (poor economy, no charm, etc)

My 2 cents, I’d keep shopping until you find “the one” in one of YOUR highly desired areas.

Last edited:

Tuck

This site just continues to amaze me. Thank you JD you will be missed.
Indy appreciate you sharing your experiences and thoughts about the counties I inquired about. Wish I was faster with the keyboard, it would take awhile I feel to type that much. Local economy and the feel of a town are important to us. Boating is as well however being on a lake is not a deal breaker, We know how to trailer a boat and will have to adapt to running lakes instead of rivers where we can run 50 miles if we want.

thank you again for all the detail and calling out specific areas and adding you thoughts about each. We shall keep holding onto this dream and someday it will happen for the both of us.

dfattack

I have a place in Florence (Spread Eagle Chain) and due it's proximity to Iron Mountain I can try and answer any questions you may have in that area. I'm a 4th generation home owner on the chain and know many people. As it relates to riding...need system snow to have good trails. The majority of the time this is not a problem but can be in low system snow years. Local club does an outstanding job with trails. IM trails are excellent too. The proximity to Iron Mountain (in my opinion) is a blessing. The town has 90% of what you need/want. Airport, Hospital, movie theater, wal mart, home depot, ace hardware, NAPA, Ski doo/Can Am dealer, Cat dealer, decent restaurants, etc. It's only 15 mins from my place so going "into town" isn't that much of a pain.

whitedust

The snow drops off after Nelma /Alvin why idk even less in SpreadEagle and Florence. The Phelps area has plenty of lakes and lots of snow at the eastern edge of Vilas and the price of real estate drops off east of Eagle River. Northern Forest is very very nice as far as trails but little to no towns or population. After 16 years in the Phelps area I would probably opt for Spread Eagle mainly because Iron Mountain is near by for all your big box stores. Living in Phelps area shopping was either a 40 mile RT or and 80 mile RT if you need big box stores and that gets old. If price is a buying house factor definitely look Phelps and east but the further east you go the population definitely drops off too you are truly remote. Trails east from Phelps to Iron Mountain are very nice with little traffic even on weekends. Good luck with your house shopping it’s out there and east prices are attractive.

Tuck

4th generation, I was just born in the wrong family, don't get me wrong love my family just saying. Good for you and family for being there that long, makes me a little envious. We do have a trip planned to Spread Eagle mid Feb this season, looking forward to learning a new area. We currently use a line east/west from Eagle river for a southern cut off search area. Our northern WI experience is limited to say a circle of Eagle river, Minocqua, Mercer, Presque Isle, Land O, Phelps areas. Like to ride in the UP, and have spent more of our time there, just not sure I want to own in MI...

yes east of Vilas price is more attractive for sure. Mom always says "patience is a virtue" but dang my patience is being tested some.

thank you again to all for info from owners who have years of experiences in the area, snow lines, trail info, town info, even travel times for shopping all good stuff. I feel like a tire kicker on the car lot on here, always asking for info I hope to be able to return the kindness someday to you all.

indy_500

The snow drops off after Nelma /Alvin why idk even less in SpreadEagle and Florence. The Phelps area has plenty of lakes and lots of snow at the eastern edge of Vilas and the price of real estate drops off east of Eagle River.
No meteorologist or scientist here, but my snow loving brain says it has something to do with the classic East-Northeast jet stream and possibly the geography of the great lakes affecting the jetstream. Quite often the winter temps are warmer in the northeastern corner of the state than the north central part of the state. Rhinelander seems to always be the bullseye for the coldest temps in the state in the winter. This has been my experience as every early morning drive, the temps are always coldest between Antigo and Eagle River, and every time watching the *wonderful* news.

whitedust

Did most of my riding in the UP from Phelps bunch of unplowed FRs that dump you out on trail 2 half way between Watersmeet and iron River or stay in The FRs and ride.

whitedust

No meteorologist or scientist here, but my snow loving brain says it has something to do with the classic East-Northeast jet stream and possibly the geography of the great lakes affecting the jetstream. Quite often the winter temps are warmer in the northeastern corner of the state than the north central part of the state. Rhinelander seems to always be the bullseye for the coldest temps in the state in the winter. This has been my experience as every early morning drive, the temps are always coldest between Antigo and Eagle River, and every time watching the *wonderful* news.
Idk I was on Spectacle Lake maybe 8 miles SE of Phelps and we had a lot more snow than ER or Rhinelander. Temps were often colder than Rhinelander and the melt took a lot longer. Yes we were on the edge of LES more like Conover than ER or Rhinelander. Dfattack often started sledding from my house when Spread Eagle was starved for snow. East of Phelps the snow would drop off even in Nelma and Alvin. Dfattack was convinced Spread Eagle was cursed by the dry slot. Idk but he always had less snow in each storm even when his area was forecasted to get more. 🤷‍♂️

wiscrev

4th generation, I was just born in the wrong family, don't get me wrong love my family just saying. Good for you and family for being there that long, makes me a little envious. We do have a trip planned to Spread Eagle mid Feb this season, looking forward to learning a new area. We currently use a line east/west from Eagle river for a southern cut off search area. Our northern WI experience is limited to say a circle of Eagle river, Minocqua, Mercer, Presque Isle, Land O, Phelps areas. Like to ride in the UP, and have spent more of our time there, just not sure I want to own in MI...

yes east of Vilas price is more attractive for sure. Mom always says "patience is a virtue" but dang my patience is being tested some.

thank you again to all for info from owners who have years of experiences in the area, snow lines, trail info, town info, even travel times for shopping all good stuff. I feel like a tire kicker on the car lot on here, always asking for info I hope to be able to return the kindness someday to you all.
At one time, I lived in the UP. Loved the living but not the state. Too much in taxes, lousy politics {IMO] but the deal breaker is the car insurance. No Fault and even if you have an accident and not your fault, you insurance goes up. Also, medical is suspect, again, my opinion as I'm sure others have had better luck.

wiscrev

Idk I was on Spectacle Lake maybe 8 miles SE of Phelps and we had a lot more snow than ER or Rhinelander. Temps were often colder than Rhinelander and the melt took a lot longer. Yes we were on the edge of LES more like Conover than ER or Rhinelander. Dfattack often started sledding from my house when Spread Eagle was starved for snow. East of Phelps the snow would drop off even in Nelma and Alvin. Dfattack was convinced Spread Eagle was cursed by the dry slot. Idk but he always had less snow in each storm even when his area was forecasted to get more. 🤷‍♂️
That's what I noticed too, Pete. I'm on the south side of Big St Germain lake. Just go about a half mile north of the northside and there is a lot more snow. Must be the LES line.

whitedust

That's what I noticed too, Pete. I'm on the south side of Big St Germain lake. Just go about a half mile north of the northside and there is a lot more snow. Must be the LES line.
Often times Rhinelander weather would draw a line at Rt 70 for LES. Rt 70 edges north from ER east and leaving 70 straight north on 2096 LES accumulations would increase with every mile. Kind of neat to see it. Imo Spectacle Lake on average would have about 20 more inches of snow accumulation than ER closest comparable was Conover or Lando.

wiscrev

Often times Rhinelander weather would draw a line at Rt 70 for LES. Rt 70 edges north from ER east and leaving 70 straight north on 2096 LES accumulations would increase with every mile. Kind of neat to see it. Imo Spectacle Lake on average would have about 20 more inches of snow accumulation than ER closest comparable was Conover or Lando.
In the middle of winter, it looked like 20-30"+ more just to the north of me [2 miles]. Star Lake would always get hammered too.

goofy600

There are definitely snow lines that happen. The difference from Watersmeet to Cisco chain 15 miles, and Cisco to Marenisco another 15 miles and pretty much in a straight line east to west and you can usually see a difference from east to west how much more the snow amounts change.

Tuck

Well making an offer on a place by Phelps. It meets most of our wanted list and is within the budget we set. Figured we could add the rest of the want list after some use and really find out what is on that list. lol thanks again for all the input from all.