MI DNR Offer

chords

Took many years to happen....................Finally MI DNR is offering a week end with no trail sticker or registration required.

"
Free Snowmobiling Weekend - NEW!
The first Free Snowmobiling Weekend will debut Feb. 11-12, 2023. Snowmobilers can operate their machines over a two-day period without the requirement of a snowmobile registration or trail permit.

Hoosier

Since they increased the prices awhile back, I thought they should offer a weekly pass. I supported the increase as the extra funds were supposed to go towards purchasing trail easements, but if you have a family that gets all the old sleds out for a few days over Christmas break, it can add up.

indy_500

They’re offering it because February 11 is international ride a snowmobile day or something like that. I do question the purpose as well, as I don’t think many will create a plan to go to the UP now because if it but we shall see how it turns out…

whitedust

Lots of people stay in WI stop at the border. This may draw them over the border into the UP. Won’t mean much in lower MI.

old abe

Perhaps the Western UP will see an invasion, eh? This is the area where this could, or would happen with sledders who normally stay in Sconny?:unsure:

Hoosier

This is my take as well. The $50 trail sticker is barely a consideration in the overall cost of this sport.
Agree with that for anyone with a newer sled. I'd rather see a weekly pass than a free weekend. Family friends have a place near Eagle River. Get the old iron out over Christmas for visiting family. They would probably ride up to Gogebic etc but don't cross the border at $50/each for a day or two.

whitedust

Agree with that for anyone with a newer sled. I'd rather see a weekly pass than a free weekend. Family friends have a place near Eagle River. Get the old iron out over Christmas for visiting family. They would probably ride up to Gogebic etc but don't cross the border at $50/each for a day or two.
I took many for a day ride from Vilas to UP back when MI permit was $25. I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t leave WI and they loved it. Smooth UP trails and WI was 1 big bump at the time. Lol

2TrakR

It would be more "correct" to say that MISORVA got this put through and the DNR gets to set the dates (because the DNR is in charge of the Snow Program). Been in the works for quite a few years.

One of the goals is to get more out there enjoying the sport, examples include the guy that has an extra sled and a friend to introduce to the sport, but usually doesn't spend for the permit since the sled is otherwise not ridden; the folks that have sleds for around home/fishing but don't trail ride (but may want to try) so haven't bought a sticker; those riding in WI (or other) that don't normally ride in MI and won't spend for the permit, but will be able to try it out (and get hooked hopefully) at no cost.

The free ORV weekends certainly don't have huge impacts and doubtful the free Snowmobile weekend will either. But there is also almost no negative cost with this and it's a good PR tool for snowmobiling. Every little bit helps.

snobuilder

This is silly. Probly based off the free fishing weekend we have in Wi. Much cheaper and easier to go fishing (thosands of lakes and rivers) than snowmobiling ( at the mercy of the snow gods)
Who would plan a trip to the Up for a lousy 2 days that couldn't also afford a trail pass? Did I say silly?....I meant stupid. I haven't set a ski inda UP for 7 years.
Having said this, Being someone who pays the high priced toll to snowmobile including a northwoods WI house only an hour from the UP border..., I might take advantage of this and make a UP run if I am up that weekend. . But I highly doubt that is what the intention is.

Just shows that the bureaucrats don't have a clue as to what goes into being a snowmobiler anymore.

This WOULD be a great idea in fringe snow country like SE WI though. My contention has always been that the trail pass idea is taking ppl out of the sport in places where the trails are only open for MAYBE a week or 2. Like it or not many ppl who hang onto there old sleds aren't even registering them any longer because they see that it isn't worth the hassle and cost of getting a stupid trail pass for a day or 2 of riding....that is IF the trails even open. But those aren't the ppl that the AWSC had in mind when they pushed and got the trail pass law in place.

Last edited:

Hoosier

I took many for a day ride from Vilas to UP back when MI permit was $25. I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t leave WI and they loved it. Smooth UP trails and WI was 1 big bump at the time. Lol
You aren't kidding. Plus the snow keeps getting deeper the further north you get!

racerx

Lots of people stay in WI stop at the border. This may draw them over the border into the UP. Won’t mean much in lower MI.
Or those that live at the border...my last MI pass I believe is at least 5 years old, but I had other reasons that held us back since we spent a lot of time building our home and even now have other commitments that keep our rides in WI. So I appreciate the opportunity to take a ride UP even though I agree with others on the questionable intent but give them kudos for trying something.

Hoosier

If it was up to me, I'd make the seasonal pass $100, with the extra money going towards easements and somehow enforcement of stopping some of the off trail riding, and then add a weekly pass for $25.

rph130

I can see both sides of this being that the back of my Wisconsin property touches the Ottawa in Gogebic/Michigan. Normally our riding is primarily done in Wisconsin but this year my wife wanted to ride Michigan trails again. It has been several years since I bought Michigan trail passes but I bought then for two sleds. Then Michigan trails opened long before Vilas and the kids and friends wanted to come up and ride before Christmas. Three more Michigan trail passes purchased. Into this for more than two hundred fifty dollars but think about what you spend for a day on the trails. Gas, breakfast, lunch, cocktails or soda at several bars/restaurants visited during a one-day ride. I get it. It's expensive but it was the right thing to do by purchasing all of the permits. I don't want to be the guy that can't follow the rules because of a cost factor.