Michigan park and ride question

euphoric1

Last year my wife and I had to travel to find good rideable snow, we ended up parking and dropping in a park and ride as a suggestion from a gas station owner, my question is, just in case I may have to do the same again this year, is it legal to do so?

wiscrev

There is usually designated parking throughout the UP but I can only give you one that I know of and it is in Bergland. At least you used to be able to park there at the edge of town right on the highway.

bobt

A GREAT ride is park trailer at BP in Koski Corners and go to Big Bay and back.

Just ask inside BP where to park.

bayfly

Unofficially, I think you’re fine to do that. Heck, I’ve overnight camped in some Park and Rides without an issue. I usually park as far back as possible so as not to interfere with others. After all, if it’s called a ”Park and Ride” that’s pretty much what you doing.

dfattack

A GREAT ride is park trailer at BP in Koski Corners and go to Big Bay and back.

Just ask inside BP where to park.
There is a large parking lot across the street from the BP next to the diner. It is plowed out throughout the winter and has plenty of room. This is a normal trip for us and couldn't agree more with you about the Big Bay and back trip. you can come back several ways too not just up and down 5 to get there.

indy_500

I wouldn’t doubt if I’ve parked at 100 different gas stations over the last 20 years. Generally a good idea to ask the gas station attendant, but you’ll be fine. If you’re ever hesitant, ask on here, tell us where you’re going and someone will have a suggestion.

euphoric1

Last year we dropped in the park and ride across from the gas station/convenient store in michigamme, I knew I could pick up trail by gas station but not enough parking for truck and trailer. The worker suggested park and ride so we did it, didn't get ticketed but was curious if anyone knew if it was legal to do so for sure. Just looking ahead in case I have to chase some snow from where I will be basing out of.

lofsfire

Are you talking the "Carpool Lots"?
If so I look in to this few years ago and found out it was not allowed. With that said It may depend on the area of what is enforced... Also, it looks like you and others have had success. Of course if it's one person here and there, probably not a big deal, but more frequent use could catch more attention and change that too...

• No commercial trucks, semi-trucks, tractors, trailers, fifth wheels, campers, or recreational vehicles (RVs).
  • No littering, loitering, soliciting, camping, or squatting.
  • No trailers or vehicles longer than 24 feet (unless specific signage indicating otherwise).
  • No parking for more than 72 hours.
  • Vehicles in violation of rules will be towed and/or cited at owner’s expense.
  • Vehicles blocking parking lot access or occupying more than one parking space will be towed at owner’s expense.
If you are talking the "Roadside Parks & Scenic Turnouts" Michigamme Roadside Park show closed for season...
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/travel/tourists/roadside-parks (I see this is on the East side of town and what you described looks to be on the West side.)

Curiosity got the best of me and I look up the gas station that you mentioned above and I see the parking lot but I don't see who actually owns it... I tried to pull up the county GIS map but I could not find one for Baraga.

I think if it was me I would want to know for sure and I would call the town and ask about using the town park... Can't image there is a huge need for parking in the winter time.... Either way they should be able to tell some options.

bayfly

If so I look in to this few years ago and found out it was not allowed. With that said It may depend on the area of what is enforced... Also, it looks like you and others have had success. Of course if it's one person here and there, probably not a big deal, but more frequent use could catch more attention and change that too...

• No commercial trucks, semi-trucks, tractors, trailers, fifth wheels, campers, or recreational vehicles (RVs).
  • No trailers or vehicles longer than 24 feet (unless specific signage indicating otherwise).
  • Vehicles blocking parking lot access or occupying more than one parking space will be towed at owner’s expense.
If you are talking the "Roadside Parks & Scenic Turnouts" Michigamme Roadside Park show closed for season...
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/travel/tourists/roadside-parks (I see this is on the East side of town and what you described looks to be on the West side.)

Curiosity got the best of me and I look up the gas station that you mentioned above and I see the parking lot but I don't see who actually owns it... I tried to pull up the county GIS map but I could not find one for Baraga.

I think if it was me I would want to know for sure and I would call the town and ask about using the town park... Can't image there is a huge need for parking in the winter time.... Either way they should be able to tell some options.
Thanks. Now I can’t even claim ignorance on this anymore. I guess the “Park and Ride” title is just Wisconsin. 😒

euphoric1

Thank you lotsfire and as bayfly stated I guess "park and ride" is a Wisconsin thing just like soda or pop and fountain or bubbler LOL I appreciate the input which will make me look into it further, The employee at the station had suggested it and I'm not so sure if he knows for sure or not either. Was a nice drop point as gas right there as well as trail. I know where Koski corners is and I'm trying to envision if the general store in Big Bay had ample parking or not. I love that loop up there from Michigamme especially coming by those rock outcroppings, with the frozen blue ice hanging over the edges. Anyways just looking for options in case I have to travel from base camp to get to some good snow as that area seems to be a target for it sometimes.

JeffB

That BP (Koski Corners) is now a Circle K for anyone wondering. Cram's in Big Bay usually has room for a few trailers, and there is typically plenty of room behind the store depending on how much snow.

euphoric1

That BP (Koski Corners) is now a Circle K for anyone wondering. Cram's in Big Bay usually has room for a few trailers, and there is typically plenty of room behind the store depending on how much snow.
Thanks! I couldnt remember the name of that in Big Bay...Crams Thanks!!