Michigan trail pass question

lofsfire

Had a friend ask me a question I've never needed to look into before. Anyways, he bought his trail pass and then did not put it on and missed place it. He then bought another trail pass put it on his sled and called it good. Well guess what he found today. Yep the original trail pass stuck between to papers on his desk.

So he figured he would try selling the pass on Facebook for $25. Well apparently people responded that it was illegal and they were not happy with him.

Ok so the question is, can he sell an unused trail permit?

I looked on DNRs site about trail passes and could not find anything about resale of trail passes. I told him to just call the MSA office. But figured I get some options here first.

indy_500

It’s technically illegal but people do it all the time. On a side note, he sold it way too cheap LOL

didnt he have to give a license when purchasing
i dont think i want my name attached to someone elses actions
anything happens may come back too him

Hoosier

I had to give a license when buying 2 this year. Two of us were up riding and they just needed one license. Not sure if they did it wrong but the one my bud has doesn't have his license attached to it. I wouldn't worry about it - the state got the money and it wasn't used.

renegade

When we've bought ours too, they only ask for one license number. Once it was 8 I want to say. Not sure what they are suppose to do but thats what happens.

lofsfire

Yeah he had to give his license info. He pulled the post once people start giving him a hard time. So he still has it.

He knew he was selling it cheap, but he was just trying to recoup some of the money. Figure it was a win-win for both parties. Seeing as he wasn't trying to make a profit or anything.

I typically just buy mine and my kids trail passes all the same time. And yes, I've typically always given my license as well. That was the only reason I could come up with, but didn't see how it was illegal. I assumed just the chance you take. With that said I've also never had any reason for any officer to run my tags.

He just bought the sled 2 years ago, So I guess he'll keep better track of his trail pass next year.

Thanks for the clarification.

eao

(5) The department may contract with a person to act as an agent for the purpose of issuing Michigan snowmobile trail permits. The department shall sell the permits to agents in bulk. An agent may obtain a refund from the department for any permits that are not sold.

(6) An agent who uses or allows the use of a permit by anyone except the snowmobile user to whom the permit is sold is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of $50.00 for each instance of such use or allowed use.

(9) A person shall not charge a fee for a snowmobile trail permit in an amount that is greater than the fee printed on the face of the permit.

goofy600

Just sell it Michigan doesn’t care because it’s not tied to a specific sled so they don’t know if the 2 people know each other.

mezz

I see nothing wrong with this scenario, he didn't attain it illegally, it has not been applied to a sled yet & he is not selling it for more than it's actual worth. I would definitely ask more than $25.00 for it though. Just my .02

rph130

I spoke with an Upper Peninsula Conservation Officer yesterday regarding the trail permit issue. She stated that the wardens have scanners to check the permits and the only information available to her would be who bought the permit, not the sled that it is attached to. She further stated that all that they look for out on the trail is that it is on the snowmobile. The funds from trail permit sticker sales is part of what pays their salary so I dont think she really cares about what sled a sticker is on, just that there is one there. Also, my daughter bought me 4 trail permits for Michigan this year for our Wisconsin registered sleds and there was no questions or issues raised at the point of sale.

lofsfire

I spoke with an Upper Peninsula Conservation Officer yesterday regarding the trail permit issue. She stated that the wardens have scanners to check the permits and the only information available to her would be who bought the permit, not the sled that it is attached to. She further stated that all that they look for out on the trail is that it is on the snowmobile. The funds from trail permit sticker sales is part of what pays their salary so I dont think she really cares about what sled a sticker is on, just that there is one there. Also, my daughter bought me 4 trail permits for Michigan this year for our Wisconsin registered sleds and there was no questions or issues raised at the point of sale.
Thanks, I've bought multiples for mine and my friends in the past and never thought about it. Since he would be handing it over to someone he did not know I think that is were the unknown came into play.

In this case, my friend was catching a hard time for trying to sell it online on Facebook. I told him is fist problem was using Facebook. LOL

I knew they were not to a specific sled but did not know how they linked back to you. When you give you license that must just be using it for ease of getting you name and address. Especial as others have said buying on line you don't have to give license number when buying from the state online. Obviously, you have to enter a name and address for them to mail it to you so they get this automatically.

Thanks for checking in more depth.