More Black Eyes on the Sport

tsg

Agree with Whitedust...most are "red" and they are equally a "problem". I know tons of people in Manitowish (near pclark), PI, ER and all around in Vilas and Oneida, who are snowmobilers and ATV'ers, but a ton are not, and these people have a ton of money, and influence! Look at Vilas and Oneida and how few ATV trails there are. Biking trails, way more. Getting better, but not anywhere near other counties, except opening up more road riding. For some reason there are people and areas that do not value (people, not establishments) the snowmobile and ATV crowds like other areas do, whether it is arrogance, they came here to get away from that, or whatever, but it is real and getting more magnified.

Also these counties have a lot of people with money, and there are tons of resorts and establishments that keep people coming for the most part year round. County where I have my place, Oconto, and surrounding Forest, Marinette, Langlade do not have as many people or establishments that draw year round, so ATV and snowmobile traffic is essentioal to their esistence.

Unfortunately most who are on here seem to be responsible, somewhat older, and very passionate.....unlike far too many who ride sleds these days. My 2 cents, and my get off my lawn post for the day.

chunk06

Absolutely correct. It is like everything else these days. The media gets a hold of something and beats it to death until the next thing comes along. Doesn't matter to them what it is as long as it gets views or clicks.

Right now sledding is what's being talked about by the locals. Last night at dinner I heard about trespassing, reckless riding, etc. from several people at the bar.

What most sledders don't see is what happens on the Tuesdays or Wednesdays when the locals venture out. Most locals, or full time residents avoid the weekend crush of sledders. Those that may go to bars or restaurants stay home because of the crowds.

Hell, I avoid them and I ride 2,000 plus miles a year. I don't want to listen to the loud BS, wait for tables or service.

To be honest, the only non-sledders that support us being here are those that make money off it. Most would prefer it go away.
We now try to hunt for the bars that are not the snowmobile hot spots just for this reason. I swear the average snowmobiler's IQ points go down as the group gets larger. We were in a nice quiet establishment last week when a large group of guys came in that were in their 50's and 60's. none of them acted their age.

old abe

Vilas is still a very red county for every election.
Yeah, well, whitedust, I'm not too sure that the Vilas County being "red" in elections, will be deciding factor on the bad conduct, behavior issues, from what my Landlord has been telling me for several years now. He has fully supported, and been closely connected in many ways to snowmobiling as a whole. Snowmobiling, sled dealer, clubs member, trail maintenance, etc, in Vilas County for over 50 years. And even he has had his fill of this crap. As he says the bad attitudes, and conduct had better greatly improve, or there will be very big changes coming. He and his family no longer snowmobile for this very reason. Never though I would see that.

Last edited:

whitedust

True...but if we keep losing trails due to tresspassing...it's gonna hurt...and remember...snowmobiling is really a dying sport...the average age of a snowmobiler is 52...and getting older each year...utv/atv's though are exploding..especially with younger people
Yep nothing new with demos and I hope snowmobiling stays strong in the future it’s up to the younger generation to keep it going if they don’t they lose I’ll be gone.

old abe

Absolutely true. And the fight isn't over. In PI it was very heated and there were long term friendships that ended because of the ATV division. If the silent sports people can replace one of the town chair seats this year they will probably rescind the ATV ruling. It happened next door in Winchester, they had it and lost it in less than a year.

We're no different than other places that has experienced an influx of new people. Colorado, parts of Texas, etc. The Californians fled their messed up state and then proceeded to turn their new state into a mini-California.

What makes the Northwoods great has very little in common with Madison, Chicago or Milwaukee. But you still hear some of the new transplants complaining about what they had and wish they had here.
Sadly, so it is VERY TRUE Tim!

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

Far a few between, but there is a POSITIVE post going around FB currently that highlights a father / son group of riders that saw a lady stuck at the very bottom of a very long driveway. They took the time to shovel the entire driveway for the lady. When the lady asked how she could re-pay them, they said she already had by allowing the trail system to run thru her property. Coolest part of the story is that the SON pointed out the situation to the dad and said they should help her. It restored just a little bit of faith that we might make it after all. But we need A LOT more of this kind of stuff from the younger generation!!!!!!!

attakman

and just an FYI...Oneida County is out in full force (looking for drunks)..which I have ZERO issue with......unfortunately reactive rather than being pro active due to the accidents and deaths. You can thank the local media up here for that...if you weren't a snowmobiler, and didn't know better...the way they report it is that it's a "drunken free for all on the northwoods snowmobile trails"....we all ride LOUD machines, at high rates of speed, bombed out of our gourd, trespassing and tearing stuff up....just an awful bunch of hooligans wrecking the northwoods beauty...SMH

SHOOT2KILL

and just an FYI...Oneida County is out in full force (looking for drunks)..which I have ZERO issue with......unfortunately reactive rather than being pro active due to the accidents and deaths. You can thank the local media up here for that...if you weren't a snowmobiler, and didn't know better...the way they report it is that it's a "drunken free for all on the northwoods snowmobile trails"....we all ride LOUD machines, at high rates of speed, bombed out of our gourd, trespassing and tearing stuff up....just an awful bunch of hooligans wrecking the northwoods beauty...SMH
Im all for a trial curfew for snowmobiles...1 season to see how things transpire...11pm sunday -thursday...Midnight friday & Saturday...Were doing this to ourselves with NO self control...

pclark

Agree with Whitedust...most are "red" and they are equally a "problem". I know tons of people in Manitowish (near pclark), PI, ER and all around in Vilas and Oneida, who are snowmobilers and ATV'ers, but a ton are not, and these people have a ton of money, and influence! Look at Vilas and Oneida and how few ATV trails there are. Biking trails, way more. Getting better, but not anywhere near other counties, except opening up more road riding. For some reason there are people and areas that do not value (people, not establishments) the snowmobile and ATV crowds like other areas do, whether it is arrogance, they came here to get away from that, or whatever, but it is real and getting more magnified.

Also these counties have a lot of people with money, and there are tons of resorts and establishments that keep people coming for the most part year round. County where I have my place, Oconto, and surrounding Forest, Marinette, Langlade do not have as many people or establishments that draw year round, so ATV and snowmobile traffic is essentioal to their esistence.

Unfortunately most who are on here seem to be responsible, somewhat older, and very passionate.....unlike far too many who ride sleds these days. My 2 cents, and my get off my lawn post for the day.
Good post TSG, ATV/SXS is a huge topic here in four towns that have voted against them. In my opinion there are green people here but the real reason is that when they open up an area there really are no rules and that is what property owners up here are worried about. They don't want the crowd that fills up their SXS with coolers and just wants to go sightseeing on any town or county road. Like snowmobiliers, atv/SXS can be their own worst enemies. Have a plan and show what the impact is going to be, some say that it will be a boom to the economy in these towns but that as yet to be proven. This John Dee site should be a model for what outdoor enthusiasts should be like because most on here have common sense and respect, which is greatly lacking in todays world.

euphoric1

Good post TSG, ATV/SXS is a huge topic here in four towns that have voted against them. In my opinion there are green people here but the real reason is that when they open up an area there really are no rules and that is what property owners up here are worried about. They don't want the crowd that fills up their SXS with coolers and just wants to go sightseeing on any town or county road. Like snowmobiliers, atv/SXS can be their own worst enemies. Have a plan and show what the impact is going to be, some say that it will be a boom to the economy in these towns but that as yet to be proven. This John Dee site should be a model for what outdoor enthusiasts should be like because most on here have common sense and respect, which is greatly lacking in todays world.
well said!!

xcr440

Wait...what???? but but but there is snow on the ground and I pay my registration...what do you mean I cant ride where I want to??? LOL another big thanks to those who are above the rules!! give yourself a great big pat on the back, followed by a big KICK IN THE ASS!!!!
I would prefer they receive a groin kick over a kick in the ass...

Tim in Indiana

Far a few between, but there is a POSITIVE post going around FB currently that highlights a father / son group of riders that saw a lady stuck at the very bottom of a very long driveway. They took the time to shovel the entire driveway for the lady. When the lady asked how she could re-pay them, they said she already had by allowing the trail system to run thru her property. Coolest part of the story is that the SON pointed out the situation to the dad and said they should help her. It restored just a little bit of faith that we might make it after all. But we need A LOT more of this kind of stuff from the younger generation!!!!!!!
I saw that in the MISROVA newsletter this week. You're right, this is the kind of positive media exposure that needs to be posted. Not the trail closures, trespassing, DUI's, deaths, etc. But like all media or news they always gravitate to the bad news.

Even something as simple as a Facebook post about a stuck groomer is not good for us. I had a friend telling me all about a stuck groomer that was buried in a swamp. He was complaining about all the ecological damage that had been done. He doesn't sled but the pictures had managed to find it's way to him.

Tim in Indiana

Also important to remember the finical boom that snowmobiling is for the Northwoods economy lots of business supporters that won’t go away.
The silent sports crowd doesn't care about the money we bring. They wouldn't trade that money for what they see as the environmental damage caused by us and ATV's.

Highflyer

Agree... we should have a weekly special covering all OWI or DWI arrests, especially the repeat offenders and repeat repeat offenders because if we don't stop them it usually ends up not finishing well for those who who end up in accidents involving D and OWI who do follow the law.
Most areas do, its called the local newspaper.

Highflyer

It doesn't matter what bikers or auto drivers are doing, there is a big focus on Snowmobiling right now up here and it's all over the local news and local papers weekly. The sad thing is it is not good news that is being reported, it's things like trespassing, off trail riding, OWI's, accidents that include fatalities all which are very negative for the sport. I get that people want enjoy a drink at the bar but for God's sake be careful people, you don't have to get trashed and if you do stay put and don't get back on the snowmobile.
Shocking the media is covering the small percentage and not the majority. Nobody likes to read articles, talk about at coffee or post on this site about the law abiding citizens. How many people followed the rules last weekend?