Munising and East?

indy_500

Any trail updates on how they’re holding up in Munising and to the east, Seney, Newberry, Grand Marais? I have never been to this area, little man has off school Friday and we all took vacation to go to minocqua. With 3/4” of rain coming to northern WI and western UP, I’m thinking they won’t hold… Eastern UP Looks to be the only area that will stay away from much of the rain, and might get hit with some of the snow coming Weds into Thursday. Looks like there’s not much for loops around Munising, was thinking of staying in Wetmore (better lodging w/pool) and trailering to Seney every day to get to better riding for us, we max out around 100 miles. Any updates or thoughts? Thanks

Tuck

well we are supposed to be in Munising on Thursday for the weekend. Anxious to see what happens weather wise and trail conditions. Hard to get a good idea of what's out there. Poo app is all over the place with reports for that area. awaiting Munising trail report to post today....

heckler56

Your best bet for having snow would be to trailer to the Kingston Plains rather than Seney. Hop on M28 and turn left in Shingleton. Road dead ends into H58 (turn right) which will dead end (no longer plowed) at the Plains. There is a large parking lot for trailers and such. Drop and play. Trail runs through it right there and allows you to ride the Crazy 8’s or head to Seney if you choose to trail ride or just play in the off trail.

indy_500

Your best bet for having snow would be to trailer to the Kingston Plains rather than Seney. Hop on M28 and turn left in Shingleton. Road dead ends into H58 (turn right) which will dead end (no longer plowed) at the Plains. There is a large parking lot for trailers and such. Drop and play. Trail runs through it right there and allows you to ride the Crazy 8’s or head to Seney if you choose to trail ride or just play in the off trail.
I would be bringing the family along for trail riding, like to do loops that usually max out around 100 miles

wiharley02

Any trail updates on how they’re holding up in Munising and to the east, Seney, Newberry, Grand Marais? I have never been to this area, little man has off school Friday and we all took vacation to go to minocqua. With 3/4” of rain coming to northern WI and western UP, I’m thinking they won’t hold… Eastern UP Looks to be the only area that will stay away from much of the rain, and might get hit with some of the snow coming Weds into Thursday. Looks like there’s not much for loops around Munising, was thinking of staying in Wetmore (better lodging w/pool) and trailering to Seney every day to get to better riding for us, we max out around 100 miles. Any updates or thoughts? Thanks
Indy can't comment on conditions and how they will hold up. The Munising/Wetmore area is a busy area in general, they generally have better snow conditions then other areas of the UP (besides western UP/Kee) and they have ample lodging which means people and traffic.

Another option vs trailering to Seney, I'd recommend Kingston Plains park-n-ride. Puts you "in the middle" of Munising and Seney, and would allow you a nice Grand Marais/Seney loop. Kingston Plains park-n-ride is at the intersection of H-58 and Adams Trail. GPS coordinates: 46.52635891004988, -86.22141097128662. H-58 is plowed from the west until this point. East of the park-n-ride, H-58 becomes groomed snowmobile trail all the way to Grand Marais basically. Grand Marais and Seney clubs to a pretty good job on grooming their trails. If you take the northerly route to Grand Marais (trail 89) there is a nice lookout on a hill/bluff overlooking Lake Superior. There are "inland" trails that will take you on a "parallel path" to Grand Marais just inland. (Trail 8).

Grand Marais and Seney both have gas. In Seney there is Maters gas station (next to Andy's Bar). The other station in Seney (BP?), if you aren't paying close attention and pull up to the car pumps, you'll get ethanol in your premium. They have a REC pump off in the middle of the parking lot for ethanol free.

Trail 8 in the Munising/Shingleton area (and further east almost to the park n ride) area will usually get pretty pounded by late morning/early afternoon any day of the week. Clubs do a good job nightly, but heavy traffic in the area takes it toll.

euphoric1

todays trail report from Au Train. Thanks for all the above info
Thanks for posting this, wife and I heading up sunday for the week, hoping some meaningful snows might kick up across the lake with the push of cold air coming, hopefully rain will not cause too much more damage. Again thanks for posting!

indy_500

Indy can't comment on conditions and how they will hold up. The Munising/Wetmore area is a busy area in general, they generally have better snow conditions then other areas of the UP (besides western UP/Kee) and they have ample lodging which means people and traffic.

Another option vs trailering to Seney, I'd recommend Kingston Plains park-n-ride. Puts you "in the middle" of Munising and Seney, and would allow you a nice Grand Marais/Seney loop. Kingston Plains park-n-ride is at the intersection of H-58 and Adams Trail. GPS coordinates: 46.52635891004988, -86.22141097128662. H-58 is plowed from the west until this point. East of the park-n-ride, H-58 becomes groomed snowmobile trail all the way to Grand Marais basically. Grand Marais and Seney clubs to a pretty good job on grooming their trails. If you take the northerly route to Grand Marais (trail 89) there is a nice lookout on a hill/bluff overlooking Lake Superior. There are "inland" trails that will take you on a "parallel path" to Grand Marais just inland. (Trail 8).

Grand Marais and Seney both have gas. In Seney there is Maters gas station (next to Andy's Bar). The other station in Seney (BP?), if you aren't paying close attention and pull up to the car pumps, you'll get ethanol in your premium. They have a REC pump off in the middle of the parking lot for ethanol free.

Trail 8 in the Munising/Shingleton area (and further east almost to the park n ride) area will usually get pretty pounded by late morning/early afternoon any day of the week. Clubs do a good job nightly, but heavy traffic in the area takes it toll.
Thanks a bunch for the great info! Just booked the Americinn in Wetmore and cancelled our Minocqua Plans. Hoping the weather pans out!

euphoric1

Thanks a bunch for the great info! Just booked the Americinn in Wetmore and cancelled our Minocqua Plans. Hoping the weather pans out!
Fingers crossed for your trip as well! Not trail cams but Munising, Seney and tahquemenon area web cams don't look too bad.

bayfly

Staying right in Wetmore, my suggestion is similar to the others who recommend trailering to the Kingston Plains trailhead. It's about a 30 minute trailer ride. Usually the trail back to anywhere close to Munising will be nasty by the end of the day. There are several loop options from the trailhead that could get you to 100 miles.

MKW

Was in this area last week. Plenty of snow in the woods but towns are almost impassable. Was there on a Tuesday and have never seen so many sleds in all my years of riding there. Can't even imagine how it would be on a weekend. Everyone trying to get that one last ride in...Be careful with your family...

Tuck

should be an interesting trip to say the least. the poo app shows part of adams trail closed going east out of the parking area to to trail 888. is that new or has it been closed all season?

heckler56

I would be bringing the family along for trail riding, like to do loops that usually max out around 100 miles
Lots of available loops from Wetmore. As others mention, GM (crazy 8’s with Lake Superior stops), Seney, Hot Springs (raft open all year), Eben ice caves, Lakenland, Miners Castle.

If conditions warrant (wholly woop trails, standing water on trails) we trailer to the Plains and ride off trail. This way we will always be able to ride.

For trail conditions check Alger Sorva, GM, Seney, Schoolcraft Motorized and TNT Trenary. These all cover the sites I mentioned.

There are endless miles of seasonal roads between Seney/Grand Marais/Pine Stump/Paradise, but I believe without new snow they'll be hard as a rock when the temperatures cool off.

indy_500

The rain headed farther east than initially forecasted, and the snow storm tomorrow headed farther south than initially forecasted. Definitely didn’t win with this idea…

eagle1

Might as well head to Dells to a water park....... probably be what I'll be doing......5 days off next week......unless I can find last minute cheap flight to somewhere warm......thanks mother nature.👎😭😭

indy_500

Might as well head to Dells to a water park....... probably be what I'll be doing......5 days off next week......unless I can find last minute cheap flight to somewhere warm......thanks mother nature.👎😭😭
We’re heading to Ashland. Bay field county reports looked excellent.