Munising area trails

snocrazy

lol lots and lots of issues. List em out Polar...

Its called - stuff breaks/happens

I rode all weekend. Smile ear to ear.

megan600

Braved that extremey rough section of 8 multiple times through the weekend. Cant say it was fun by any means, but we managed. Took forest roads or other options when it made sense to do so. Stuff happens.

Polarice

Yeah but groomers never, ever venture where you ride..........I'm just sayin'.........

For sure! I found out how worthless my sled really is in the fluff riding with him. Trails are all I can ride at this point until it settles.

Last edited:

craigrev

We have a small group staying in Ishpeming and Munising next week. I hope trails get fixed up before then. Any updated info. would be greatly appreciated.

megan600

On Saturday night a groomer from a nearby area had come through and really leveled things off quite a bit. We were also told the parts were due this past weekend to get the groomer up and going. Good luck!

buddah2

Someone at our coffee group (The Liars Club) wondered if the Russians imported one of the Munising groomer operators to do the moguls course after watching the Olympics last night..........

mbo285

Just got back from a three day trip. Rode from Boulder Junction to Munising. Spent the night, rode around grand island and then over to Grand Marais and back to Munising. Spent the 2nd night in Munising and then back to Boulder on day three. Trails were the best I've seen in years. Flat and full of snow the whole way. I think we may have had 3-4 miles of bad trails in a 700 mile trip. Trail 8 was not bad at all either.

snocrazy

funny thing is last weekend I rode trails quite a bit. I know I usually dont.
Trail 7 south from Buckhorn all the way to 413 over to Jack Pine for relic ride. (trail was awesome) Even passed the groomer.
Trail 41 from Jack Pine to Boot Lake - Had a little chop to it but not bad at all.
From there it was back in to the woods.

I never did go any further North in to Shingleton or trail 8.
Trail 8 is always beat. Think about every hotel, cabin, etc, that has sledders staying at it in town. They all seem to head East on trail 8.
Maybe it was worse than normal because of the groomer break down. People have to have some thing to cry about right? It sucks. They do need to remove their heads from their rear ends. If a groomer is broke for 2 or 3 weeks, get a loaner or some thing. What the heck takes that long? Ordering parts? Waiting for the cheapest mechanic to be available?

Just got text on my phone from some one else saying the trails were crap. Asking me if I have heard any thing why. I would be willing to bet - trail 8 is the main issue. Sucks they cant get this resolved in a timely fashion. Or maybe have backup groomers shared between areas.
Seems to the South other groomers are covering. (where I rode)

Every one should call the DNR and complain. Maybe flooding them with calls will make them see the light.
contact DNR Shingleton Office fire officer Brett Bednarski at 452-6227 or Dan Moore at 293-5131.

megan600

I rode that whole area last weekend. And 8 was about the worst i've seen it in all the years I've been riding there. BIG haymaker type moguls that would just hammer you, but once through that section it was business as usual.
In the defense of the groomers in that area, they did contact the DNR themselves to warn them of the issue and asked them to get the word out. Both of the groomers were down is my understanding. Other area groomers were called in and asked to help with the coverage. A post was made by Groomer boss Tom through Renze's site that they did order parts, but the parts sent to them were wrong. One groomer is back up and running and it is operating 24/7.
We took a long way back to the Buckhorn from the Bootlake on Saturday night to avoid 8, and sure enough a groomer met us in the parking lot and was headed back up 7 to 8. The group that came in behind us said it was flat as a pancake again. I realize it's frustrating, we were dealing with it all weekend too, but I guess its just part of the game. Wont stop me from going back up on Tuesday. I'll just be wishing really hard that its fixed! ;)

helhuf

Munising 2/15- 2/22

Our group will be in the Munising area next week and hopefully the groomer issue has been solved. We stay out west of the Buckhorn, so we take a lot of back trails to get where we want to go. In January we put on 1000 miles many of it over tr 8 which only had 1 day of moguls (that being a Sunday on MLK weekend)

buddah2

....... Both of the groomers were down is my understanding. Other area groomers were called in and asked to help with the coverage. A post was made by Groomer boss Tom through Renze's site that they did order parts, but the parts sent to them were wrong.......

Yes, both groomers were down for awhile........it's my understanding that one of them is, in fact, back running.

I'm curious about "Groomer Boss Tom".......if you mean Tommy Adgate(?) from Seney, he quit about two weeks ago. Don't know why he'd still be posting anything.

A little background......there was a large meeting up here a couple years ago among big wigs from MSA, DNR (Lansing), DEQ(again ?), and local reps about the grooming situation......for several days around that meeting the trails, ALL the Munising trails, were the absolute best I've ever seen them......and I've lived here 13 years now......my question is: if they can do that to impress the MFWIC's why not do it all the time? It's not like you're not getting paid for it. Could it be that the issues are with the groomer operators? (Meaning mgt., not the drivers)

snocrazy

Yes, both groomers were down for awhile........it's my understanding that one of them is, in fact, back running.

I'm curious about "Groomer Boss Tom".......if you mean Tommy Adgate(?) from Seney, he quit about two weeks ago. Don't know why he'd still be posting anything.

A little background......there was a large meeting up here a couple years ago among big wigs from MSA, DNR (Lansing), DEQ(again ?), and local reps about the grooming situation......for several days around that meeting the trails, ALL the Munising trails, were the absolute best I've ever seen them......and I've lived here 13 years now......my question is: if they can do that to impress the MFWIC's why not do it all the time? It's not like you're not getting paid for it. Could it be that the issues are with the groomer operators? (Meaning mgt., not the drivers)

Trying to make profit off of a non profit.....Gerou - I feel they should lose the contract. They don't deserve it. Year after year of this crap.

Any back story on why Tom quit? Any chance he saw the issue being Gerou and said efff this?

snocrazy

http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/snowmobile/reports/snow-munising.html

From the groomers this morning............Report Date: 2/13/14 As of today we are still running the '97 Tucker 24 hrs around the clock. They say the parts for the John Deere will be here today but I'm not going to count on that seeing as we've been burned before. The plan as of right now is to continue to run the Tucker 24 hrs a day. Hopefully we have the JD up and running tomorrow. Last night we concentrated on the Munising, North Hiawatha, and Christmas Trail sections. This morning I'm heading out towards Shingleton and Miner's Castle Rd. to take care of the Coalwood and Miner's Castle Trails. The next shift will be concentrating on the Coalwood and North Hiawatha as well as 7 to the Buckhorn. The midnight shift will be hitting Christmas and Munising trails and any other things we think need attention.

megan600

My mistake...I read the report again on Renze's page and it was to a "Tom" and not from Tom. Hard to tell by how they wrote it, Assumed it was Tommy Adgate since I hadnt heard he had quit. thanks for the heads up!