Munising, Grand Marais, and Seney Conditions

sparkee1958

Looking for an update of the conditions in this area for a one last hurrah trip of the season. How are things?
Thanks in advance for any replys.

skidoowi

Last week Friday and Saturday were excellent.

Munising down to Big Springs - only thin last 2 miles to Big Springs on Friday (very surprised how good that was that far south)
Munising to Grand Marais to Pine Stump - excellent on Saturday.

Don't go to Newberry or south of Seney

WorkHardPlayHrd

Do you know if you can head south of pine stump on the forest trails and get to 45 to get to the Tauquamenon Falls, or is that route to Paradise a no go? Thanks in advance.

xpr800

Its pretty thin on 9 near Newberry, lots of brown snow, dirt & gravel showing, 45 toward the falls out of Newberry is thin, some logging going on there too. you have to go about 5 to 8 miles out of town to get good snow, also Paradise groomers are having issues this year, falls trails are hit or miss, more miss lately. Trail 8 Between Pine Stump & the great burn area toward Paradise is very good, after that ???.... Seney & Grand Marais are both in excellent shape in the woods but both towns are melted down to the asphalt so getting gas or food may put a hurt on your sled. best thing to do is fill up, trailer out of town about 5 miles, find a place to park your truck & hope you make it back to the trailer before you run out of gas. Pine stump is still accessible for gas. Shingleton/Wetmore areas are also good, Munising has been getting some lake effect so their system is also pretty good buy busy as **** & well used up by noon . Have fun in the late season conditions. In my personal spoiled opinion Seney , Pine Stump & Grand Marais are the best place to ride at this time.

Just returned today, all is well for these areas for sometime yet. Received new snow Saturday ranging from 6-8". Didn't try to get into Grand Marais, as that can be difficult anytime of the year but Seney is easy to get to food and gas. Pine Stump is closed along with Wolf Inn. Seasonal roads have lots of snow and it near knee deep every where we went.

snocrazy

Saturday - Night - most of munising area was groomed. Trails are absolutely beautiful. Very little traffic. Trails are holding up very nicely.

WERE NOT BEING GROOMED PRIOR TO SHUTDOWN -- MINERS 422 - 419 between wetmore and christmas - 7 ride rd in to christmas.

Most reported to be staying flat. The dirt grading over the last summer is def paying off. Having a flat dirt base to start with.

DNR rejected a request to extend grooming.
All of the trails are on state and fed land. So the trails do not close.
I do not see any one coming up to ride for a last weekend regretting it.
Ill just hang a snow drag off of the back of my sled for yah all....

Several of the bigger hotels are closed. Finding rooms should not be an issue.
Just call around.

Video of the last run we did grooming (going over Doty Bridge on trail 8)

Last edited:

skidoo_derue

Saturday - Night - most of munising area was groomed. Trails are absolutely beautiful. Very little traffic. Trails are holding up very nicely.

WERE NOT BEING GROOMED PRIOR TO SHUTDOWN -- MINERS 422 - 419 between wetmore and christmas - 7 ride rd in to christmas.

Most reported to be staying flat. The dirt grading over the last summer is def paying off. Having a flat dirt base to start with.

DNR rejected a request to extend grooming. The club is looking in to alternative options.
All of the trails are on state and fed land. So the trails do not close.
I do not see any one coming up to ride for a last weekend regretting it.
Ill just hang a snow drag off of the back of my sled for yah all....

Several of the bigger hotels are closed. Finding rooms should not be an issue.
Just call around.

Video of the last run we did grooming (going over Doty Bridge on trail 8)
. So if I stayed at Alger falls motel I could ride out to seney or grand Maria’s no problems as to gates being closed ? I have a few guys that want to go

snocrazy

Yeah - May be rough getting from alger falls to the holiday by ffh-13. The side of m28 is rough - u could zip down prospect st. Hit 419 out to trail 8.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Only fuel in the area would be Wetmore, Seney, and Grand Marais if you run the pavement, am I right? Can you get into Christmas and can you aim toward Manistique and loop back up on fire roads. Is the Buckhorn open? Thanks for answering any questions have never come up this late.

legolamb

Thanks for the updates Snocrazy, trails do look great and this would be an awesome time to ride. I was unable to find anything officially stating that trails are open around Munising, everything I found said trails in MI are closed statewide on 4/1. Why isn't this listed or advertised that riding is still legal on these trails after 3/31? Maybe everyone is tired of sledders by now, which I can understand. I usually make my last trip the end of March, and assumed that with the exception of some multi-use trails around Houghton, the season closed on 4/1 unless an extension had been granted.

ridindirty800

Alger County SORVA

TRAILS OPEN -GROOMING OFFICIALLY SHUT DOWN:
Well we have an official response given to MSA and DNR Field Contacts posted below. With that, trails 7 and 8 are in great shape here for post grooming season riding. Though no longer being groomed, there is a hard flat base with new snow on top and more forecast for great riding. Get out and enjoy the riding while you still can.

From the MIDNR:
"Subject: 2018 Snowmobile Season.
This issue comes up each year when we have a late snow.... No one has given permission to extend grooming. The use of private lands for snowmobile trails expired March 31st.
Reasons include:
Permission from Private land owners has not been gathered or even discussed
What type or amount of use will this produce during the week
ORV conflicts as this season has started
No notification of Law enforcement officials
Saying this, trails on state land continue to be open to snowmobile use as conditions warrant."

Photos: Trail 8 on closing day - First two courtesy of Andrew Haden near the Doty Bridge,

- - - Updated - - -

Where is a good place to stay around Seney/munising area? I might take a last minute trip this weekend and sounds like more riding opportunties in these parts then the western U.P?? Never been to this part of the U.P any help would be great. Thanks

legolamb

Funny how the MIDNR says this "issue comes up each year....." How about clarifying on the website that trails on state land are open past 3/31, if conditions exist for riding instead of saying all MI trails close 4/1. Proper communication goes a long way.

In regards to a place to stay, my choice would be the Buckhorn (assuming it's open). It's on trail 7 just south of Munising and trail 8, and they have food, bar and gas. Per the SORVA report, you wouldn't want to ride south on 7 past the Buckhorn.

heckler56

Only fuel in the area would be Wetmore, Seney, and Grand Marais if you run the pavement, am I right? Can you get into Christmas and can you aim toward Manistique and loop back up on fire roads. Is the Buckhorn open? Thanks for answering any questions have never come up this late.

Don't forget Shingleton (Tanglewood) has fuel..

ridindirty800

Funny how the MIDNR says this "issue comes up each year....." How about clarifying on the website that trails on state land are open past 3/31, if conditions exist for riding instead of saying all MI trails close 4/1. Proper communication goes a long way.

In regards to a place to stay, my choice would be the Buckhorn (assuming it's open). It's on trail 7 just south of Munising and trail 8, and they have food, bar and gas. Per the SORVA report, you wouldn't want to ride south on 7 past the Buckhorn.

Thanks for the info!

T

Tracker

heres the deal....its like the yellow area and trail 3 and BN and Ottawa forest....you can ride there till june 1st....but they ( the locals and most JD'ers don't want you there) they want it all to themselves...every year....so these threads with the exception of john dee....giving out advice (occasionally and just enough).....did you notice...its always hush hush....skylar or none of the regulars confirm or deny...hush hush...then you'll see a thread of pictures from skylar and the BOYS aboot how good it was yesterday off trail....and those guys and the same kinda guys are around seney and that area also...those kind of guys commiserate and some are part or friends of the dnr...and they make sure that that is never stated in any report...I been saying this since 1999 and trying to enlighten US SOUTHERNERS that don't get to go out very often and would kill for a place like this to ride....they think that it will be all tracked up for them....so....THEY OFFER NO HELP....NO REPORTS....some guys do report on the conditions like snowcrazy and others....because they are not part of....THE CLICK....capeesh...frnash...is this capeesh acceptable?....LOL.....enjoy...and mark the snazolas outta the area IMO....LMAO

united

Check the second post on the Trail #3 thread http://forum.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?55318-3-trail

And, you still don't get it. Trails like the BN are open all year round for anything (4 wheeler, sled, sxs). Not June 1st. I attach sparklers to my sled and ride down the BN every Fourth of July.

heres the deal....its like the yellow area and trail 3 and BN and Ottawa forest....you can ride there till june 1st....but they ( the locals and most JD'ers don't want you there) they want it all to themselves...every year....so these threads with the exception of john dee....giving out advice (occasionally and just enough).....did you notice...its always hush hush....skylar or none of the regulars confirm or deny...hush hush...then you'll see a thread of pictures from skylar and the BOYS aboot how good it was yesterday off trail....and those guys and the same kinda guys are around seney and that area also...those kind of guys commiserate and some are part or friends of the dnr...and they make sure that that is never stated in any report...I been saying this since 1999 and trying to enlighten US SOUTHERNERS that don't get to go out very often and would kill for a place like this to ride....they think that it will be all tracked up for them....so....THEY OFFER NO HELP....NO REPORTS....some guys do report on the conditions like snowcrazy and others....because they are not part of....THE CLICK....capeesh...frnash...is this capeesh acceptable?....LOL.....enjoy...and mark the snazolas outta the area IMO....LMAO