Munising, Grand Marais, and Seney Conditions

snocrazy

Only fuel in the area would be Wetmore, Seney, and Grand Marais if you run the pavement, am I right? Can you get into Christmas and can you aim toward Manistique and loop back up on fire roads. Is the Buckhorn open? Thanks for answering any questions have never come up this late.

Buckhorn open and Tanglewood in Shingleton open - Both have GAS

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the updates Snocrazy, trails do look great and this would be an awesome time to ride. I was unable to find anything officially stating that trails are open around Munising, everything I found said trails in MI are closed statewide on 4/1. Why isn't this listed or advertised that riding is still legal on these trails after 3/31? Maybe everyone is tired of sledders by now, which I can understand. I usually make my last trip the end of March, and assumed that with the exception of some multi-use trails around Houghton, the season closed on 4/1 unless an extension had been granted.

ITS 100% LEgal to ride past 3-31 - Grooming has stopped is all. All trails out this way are on state or federal land. If it is private land - land owner agreements and insurance stop 3-31. Why trials on private land close. Not the case out this way. Trust me. No BS

- - - Updated - - -

heres the deal....its like the yellow area and trail 3 and BN and Ottawa forest....you can ride there till june 1st....but they ( the locals and most JD'ers don't want you there) they want it all to themselves...every year....so these threads with the exception of john dee....giving out advice (occasionally and just enough).....did you notice...its always hush hush....skylar or none of the regulars confirm or deny...hush hush...then you'll see a thread of pictures from skylar and the BOYS aboot how good it was yesterday off trail....and those guys and the same kinda guys are around seney and that area also...those kind of guys commiserate and some are part or friends of the dnr...and they make sure that that is never stated in any report...I been saying this since 1999 and trying to enlighten US SOUTHERNERS that don't get to go out very often and would kill for a place like this to ride....they think that it will be all tracked up for them....so....THEY OFFER NO HELP....NO REPORTS....some guys do report on the conditions like snowcrazy and others....because they are not part of....THE CLICK....capeesh...frnash...is this capeesh acceptable?....LOL.....enjoy...and mark the snazolas outta the area IMO....LMAO

My Click Runs deep! We will be riding in the woods for another Month. 99% of riders are not going to go where we go..... If you do, well good for you. Ill buy you a beer... lol

tack836

Going come up that way on sunday just for the day. What would be the farthest south parking area if coming up 41? Thanks.

ridindirty800

Buckhorn open and Tanglewood in Shingleton open - Both have GAS

- - - Updated - - -

ITS 100% LEgal to ride past 3-31 - Grooming has stopped is all. All trails out this way are on state or federal land. If it is private land - land owner agreements and insurance stop 3-31. Why trials on private land close. Not the case out this way. Trust me. No BS

- - - Updated - - -

My Click Runs deep! We will be riding in the woods for another Month. 99% of riders are not going to go where we go..... If you do, well good for you. Ill buy you a beer... lol

So snocrazy I was told only trails in the area that are open are 7,8 and i think part of 422?? Is that true or are there more options? thanks again for all the info

snocrazy

So snocrazy I was told only trails in the area that are open are 7,8 and i think part of 422?? Is that true or are there more options? thanks again for all the info

ahhhhhhhhh ride what ever trail you want. Trail do not "CLOSE" around here. Not sure how else to say it.
422 was not being groomed at the end due to logging. May be rough. Ride any 2 track. Ride the plains. Ride the woods. Ride down the road. No one will stop you.

respect private property - dont be a dbag and you are fine.

ridindirty800

Thanks Snocrazy, hoping to come up tomorrow night and ride Saturday and part of the day Sunday for one last ride. Thanks again

1fujifilm

ahhhhhhhhh ride what ever trail you want. Trail do not "CLOSE" around here. Not sure how else to say it.
422 was not being groomed at the end due to logging. May be rough. Ride any 2 track. Ride the plains. Ride the woods. Ride down the road. No one will stop you.

respect private property - dont be a dbag and you are fine.

Da Plain, Da Plain!
..oops wrong plane.

Bear

snocrazy

Thanks Snocrazy, hoping to come up tomorrow night and ride Saturday and part of the day Sunday for one last ride. Thanks again

I will be out riding all weekend. Be on 2000 srx or the 2003 viper mountain. Riding with Apex ATTAK and old Polaris XC 700.
I wear all black Klim.
Flag us down..... Have a beverage.

T

Tracker

its all in here....how to ride off trail legally...PS...click I didn't give up ya areas....yet....ya happys

http://forum.johndee.com/vbulletin/...ff-season-kingston-plains&p=464753#post464753

- - - Updated - - -

I will take you up on that offer dude....but I have never seen another sledder out there as I go deep babay...LOL...one of my fav places to stay was THE RIVERS EDGE BED AND BREAKFAST IN GERMFASK...alas I think they are no more

if its really late in season it can be like this out there...make sure you all see the credits at end....LMAO...and listen to the throttle response.....spot on...instant....by setting the TPS OHMS....shazam

Last edited:

smitty440

Stayed at Alger Falls motel Thursday and Friday. Put on close to 350 miles. The trail between the Tanglewood and the Bear Trap was pretty bumpy with a few bare spots. The rest of the trails we were on were in great shape. Even came across a groomer on trail 8. Everything should be good for another week if not longer.

snocrazy

Great weekend of riding. Be out in the woods today. Had to extend the weekend and took today off of work.
Saw a lot of sleds at the bars and on the trails. Pretty cool for April.

YEah the one bad trail I came across was also the section between bear trap and tanglewood.

Pretty much spent the weekend in the woods South of Buckhorn. Beautiful.

doonit2

Grooming trail 8????

Grooming trail 8????

Great weekend of riding. Be out in the woods today. Had to extend the weekend and took today off of work.
Saw a lot of sleds at the bars and on the trails. Pretty cool for April.

YEah the one bad trail I came across was also the section between bear trap and tanglewood.

Pretty much spent the weekend in the woods South of Buckhorn. Beautiful.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Yes SORVA was given the green light to groom, but the DNR would not cover the cost. Trail 8 was gorgeous on Saturday morning from 7 to Shingleton. From there the trail gets rough with open spots all the way to the juncture of 88 which was nice coming back on Sunday. Saturday we headed north on 8/highway 58 to Au Sable Point. We were able to get to the lighthouse by riding on the big lake from Hurricane Creek campground to the lighthouse.

Trails were ok going into Grand Marais due to fresh snow. Fueled up at the Bayshore and headed east on trail 8. For April I would rate it good till you get to the burnout which in my opinion was a blast. If you like jumping drifts it was perfect. Then we hit the woods trail and the next 11 miles were bad bumpy corners and flatter through the straight stretches. It wasn't terrible due to the 4 inches of fresh snow. When we got to the four corners (it's what the locals call it) it was decent getting into Paradise.

Had pizza and bar food at the Inn, and spent the night at Tauquamenon Suites which was nice with a good comfy bed.

Next morning we ate at the Berry Patch, fueled up at the gas station and headed for Tauquamenon Falls. The gate is closed, but easy to bypass the locals are doing it. To the lower falls I would rate the trail (45) fair to good. There is one water hole opening up about 4 miles north of the lower falls you can get around it. Walked to lower falls it was just roaring. Got back to sleds and headed for Upper Falls.

At upper we were the only sledders, and the city people were literally giving us the evil eye. There was a MI DNR warden there and someone started to complain. He came over took one look at our out of state trail stickers and said, " I'm so glad you came up. Since your legal and in a state park there's no issues. Enjoy the falls and the rest of your ride and please don't run over any small children on your way out." He winked, got in his truck, and left! We proceeded to enjoy the park and be avoided by everyone else. The brewery is closed.

Left on 45 toward Newberry, got to the grade and was at 100 + it was just great all the way down till hooking up with 9. Trial 9 was mostly bare for about a mile till it got more snow. Then it proceeded to get unpleasant. We got sick of it and took a forest road west and hooked up with 431 in Seney territory. This was really nice to the park and ride about 6 miles north of Seney. Then you run the ditch which is getting bare to Seney. We got fuel and headed north on 43 to meet up with 88. Trail 43 was good to very good, but watch out for drifts in open areas. Trail 88 was very good heading west to 8. Trail 8 was rough all the way to Shingleton. Trail 8 was nice still from Shingleton to Trail 7. 7 was nice ( yes they groomed this to) past the Buckhorn where we stayed Friday night and left the trailer.

Got super at the Buckhorn, loaded and drove home. Overall it was the nicest trip this year and it happened in April!

My great thanks to Munising Motorsports for pulling the carbides off the showroom floor sled to replace the ones we broke when we crossed the railroad tracks on 419 heading for the gas station. Trip would have ended really fast without the help. All arctic cat carbides at both Munising Motorsports and Renze power sports were sold out.

Thank you snocrazy for posting about the conditions in the area. It was really nice. Time to get out the Wildcat X.

I'm truly sorry frnash if my punctuation is not up to snuff this time. Go ahead and tear it apart. Your posts either drive me nuts, or make me laugh. It's all in good fun.

frnash

… I'm truly sorry frnash if my punctuation is not up to snuff this time. Go ahead and tear it apart. Your posts either drive me nuts, or make me laugh. It's all in good fun. …
Hey WorkHardPlayHrd, are you kidding? That was a good read; entertaining, even! I've said it before, you generally write very well. Real sentences, real paragraphs. No visual "moguls" to stumble over while reading … What's not to like?

Okay, if you really want one, I only gots one wee little little itsy bitsy picky picky:
Tau-quamenon? Izzat a fraternity?
Nope, that's Tahquamenon. (I guess they had the signs down?) :devilish: