Munising Redemption

snocrazy

Over 100 miles after noon today. Rode South traiil 7 was awesome. Trail 413 was questionabe at points. Trail 41 from jack pine north was epic. Trail 8 from shingleton epic. Tril 419 to holiday epic. Trail 8 epic/ Trail 7 to buckhorn epic. Trail 7 home south foromn ther epic. snowing like a mofo epic.

snocrazy

Munising grooming area is great. Trail 8 east of castle trail is crap. Heard from bartender at Buckhorn that Seney ran out of $ and is not grooming any more. Sure hope this is not true. If it is I wold like some $ back from the trial sticker I bought. cough cough.... No one is grooming South any more and this is one of the only areas will th enough snow to groom. Some logic and common sense would tell you to redirect funding from a southern club that did not use all and send it where it is needed. Trial 7 is still perfect down to the midway. Starts to get bare and icy south of there. 41 south to the jack pine is also still perfect.

uprider1100

I hope they don't stop grooming. Headed up this weekend for one last ride. I haven't been in the area for a few years and was wondering if Melstrad still has gas by the Bear trap? Also I heard Boot lake bar is closed is this true. It used to be a nice pitstop. Hopefully they get some fresh snow this week and things hold out for one last ride.

megan600

Yes Melstrand has gas again this year. The bootlake was closed down for part of the season, but reopened the weekend before Valentines day.

I was forwarded a post from Hardcore sledder this morning and it said trails around Munising/Grand Marais are still great. Getting in and out of towns is not an issue either. I wouldn't think you need to trailer out of wetmore yet.We a committed and heading up Thursday AM. Happy riding!! :)

Found the link to that post....
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/286-michigan/1385241-great-trip.html

Last edited:

uprider1100

Thanks Megan 600 for the info. I contacted fox river motel this morning as well and he said they are still grooming. Should be a great weekend.

snocrazy

Seney is still grooming?! Could have fooled me. Sure was the case over the weekend (sat night and sunday). They are supposed to be going to castle trail. So why would they groom during the week and not the weekend when it was cold? BS. I would make sure if you are intending to ride trails. No trail reports on MSA site either. They are are all lazy about reporting late season.

bladeguy

i saw a report they are no longer grooming by Miners Castle. Was it rough by Seney? I am headed there Thursday night. Usually they do a bang up job...

snocrazy

They were not even going as far as the bear trap from what I personally saw this past weekend. That is where we turned around saturday afternoon and sunday. And if they are grooming and people are calling this fox river motel place in seney, why are they not updating the reports on any of the web sites? They knows its the end of the season and no riding else where. It just plain stupid.

JTx2

Any update on seney grooming? A assume if they are not, getting to grand marais is gonna be rough, correct? Why would they stop grooming the miners castle trail? I'd like to bring my son up for a last ride and would love to show him the awsome view.

same boat. Trying to talk the family into a last minute trip for me, First trip for my son (14). just can't find accurate info. thought about doing all forest roads with him and heading to the plains.

uprider1100

The Seyney trail page was updated mon and says they just groomed thru shingleton to 422. Also said they will keep grooming on a as needed bases. I think with the fresh snow today and tonight it should be a great weekend in the area.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Just got back from Wetmore and rode AWESOME trails east of there. we met the Grand Marais groomer a couple times and met one of the Seney groomers on trail 8 a few times west of shingleton. For those that don't know that's 60 MILES from Seney !!We talked to him and he said he makes that run pretty much EVERY afternoon/evening and it takes about 15-17 HOURS !! Think about that for a minute while you're complaining that a certain trail got missed...Just sayin'............ Trail 43 to seney was groomed and was great,but got a little thin in places when you got closer to town.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Holy crap is that because munising doesn't have groomer operators?

I think the Munising groomer dude is letting them show him how it's done...

The Seney groomer has a badazz 12 ft wide drag that has fold-up wings (never seen one before)that does the whole trail in one pass !!

snocrazy

Grooming changes this winter. Seney was contacted to groom to castle trail on trail 8 and castle trail.
Munising only has 50 miles to groom. I believe they just got one of those new double wing skids as well.
More changes for next year I am sure. Hope they continue to be for the better.

uprider1100

I just got back from one of the best weekends of trail riding I've ever had in the UP! Just wanted to say what an awesome job the Seyney and Grand Marias clubs did on the trails this weekend. They were flat and fast. I ran into two groomers on sat and the trails were flat to begin with. I was blown away at how much snow they still have! I figured getting into Grand Marias would be hard but it wasn't a problem at all. Trail 43 about 3 miles from Seyney was getting thin but not a problem either. Thumbs up to the restaurant in shingleton for a great breakfast! We stayed at Jackpine lodge and trails were decent that way as well but never seen the groomer move all weekend. They have a spring special buy one night and get a free night and the cabin we stayed in was remodeled and nice. 6 guys 2 nights for $20 a guy,sure can't beat that! Great time was had by all! Thanks to all the groomer operators and business who help make this sport Great!