Munising Redemption

megan600

I'd personally recommend the Buckhorn Resort. Right on trail 7 and gas is on site. Great food and cold beer at the end of the day too.

Pizza Man

We have been going to Munising since 1980.
Always the first part of December until April.
I wanted to get back for one last ride this year, but to many other things have come up. When we were up there a few weeks ago, the only rough trail was from Shingleton to Munising on late Saturday. That's normal at the end of the day as everybody is using it to get back to town.
Also, I'm glad they have the grooming figured out and continue to do a good job next year.

I rode in the Munising area Mar 2 thru Mar 8. The trails were absolutely outstanding. Best conditions that I've seen in many years up there. Hats off to the groomers...super job!

snowrat

Watching conditions carefully. Wife and I are planning to come up for a last ride this Friday/Saturday 13/14. Buckhorn might be a wise choice.....

snocrazy

Rode the area today mostly off trail. Awesome conditions. Hit trail 7 between midway and Buckhorn and cant believe it. They must be grooming at night still.
The trails are sooooo perfect. Had some grub at Buckhorn. There were at least 20 sleds there. Every one in good spirits. So much good riding. This weekend will still def be awesome. If you were second guessing conditions dont. Get up here and ride. Its still beautiful. Doing some loops tomorrow on the old srx 700. So looking forward to it.

megan600

Looks like you will be there through most the warm up Highlander...please update us after your weekend. I have reservations up there in a couple weeks again. It might be a hail mary, but I'm being optimistic. I'm sure this week/weekend will be the determing factor. Have a great trip!

snowrat

Staying in Wetmore this weekend. Will likely drop at the Buckhorn to ride for the day on Friday. Saw this....what's up....

"Munising Snowmobile Trail Report
Alger County Trail Report

March 12, 2015

Groomer is down.We are waiting on parts. Trails are holding up right now but will not be perfect as it is very warm. Have a great day and safe riding sledders."

megan600

Hadnt heard anything about the groomer, but as for your ice question. The fishweb report from the Brownstone says that you could ride to the island still, but not to get to close to the ice curtains themselves. Pieces are unstable and some have fell. When we rode out there last weekend, there was some slush spots. It looked like the kind where slush was on top, and ice of plenty underneath, but I wasnt stopping to check ;)

Snow07

I reserved a hotel room in Munising for this weekend and the guy at the hotel said that there are two groomers, one is down and they are working on it now. Hope to see more of you in Munising this weekend!

snowrat

Thanks. By the looks of those pics there is no way I would've gone out there. I hate venturing on ice in the 1st place....mix in that mutch slush, water and a few cracks and no way!!! Will be in the Hiawatha somewhere today....definitely lunch at camel riders :)

snocrazy

The groomer was fixed pretty quick. I did not ride trails over the weekend besides buckhorn to doe lake road on saturday night at sunset when we came out of the woods. There were some woops but not that bad. Every thing has been groomed in the area since then and conditions are still great. Cold temps this week should help. Expect dirt close to towns and pavement has no more pack on it.

Sure had a lot of trespassers this past weekend. My neighbor has a trail system between our properties for his wife to cross country ski. They even groom it for skiing. Sleds went around our keep out no trespass signs and tore it all up. Had a group on our lake which has no public access. They tore up the private property (camps) all along the East side of the lake. I cased them out of the area on my viper mountain. Pulled up beside them at the end of my driveway and gave them the look...
My driveway is a quarter mile of mud and ruts. Why the heck would you ride it at all?!?!? So much public land in the area. No reason for this.

Friend of mine that was riding with us rents sleds in the area. We ran in to the group of rentals out in the woods getting stupid on air cooled trail rental sleds.
It amazes me what people will do when they think no one is looking. Rentals = trail only.

Sorry for the above rants. Its all part of being up here in the woods. Still lots of riding to be had.

The groomer was fixed pretty quick. I did not ride trails over the weekend besides buckhorn to doe lake road on saturday night at sunset when we came out of the woods. There were some woops but not that bad. Every thing has been groomed in the area since then and conditions are still great. Cold temps this week should help. Expect dirt close to towns and pavement has no more pack on it.

Sure had a lot of trespassers this past weekend. My neighbor has a trail system between our properties for his wife to cross country ski. They even groom it for skiing. Sleds went around our keep out no trespass signs and tore it all up. Had a group on our lake which has no public access. They tore up the private property (camps) all along the East side of the lake. I cased them out of the area on my viper mountain. Pulled up beside them at the end of my driveway and gave them the look...
My driveway is a quarter mile of mud and ruts. Why the heck would you ride it at all?!?!? So much public land in the area. No reason for this.

Friend of mine that was riding with us rents sleds in the area. We ran in to the group of rentals out in the woods getting stupid on air cooled trail rental sleds.
It amazes me what people will do when they think no one is looking. Rentals = trail only.

Sorry for the above rants. Its all part of being up here in the woods. Still lots of riding to be had.
Have a couple friends in your area this week and after the rain the other day said things are great.meet groomers yesterday.said 4' of snow in the area yet!
Pulling our trail stakes after dismal year.We didn't even groom this year!

snocrazy

Out in the plains there is prob 4 feet. More towards Munising it is closer to 2 feet left. The web cam at the white fawn community center is a real accurate representation of what there is out in the woods 10 miles south of Munising. Did a bunch of walking around in the woods tapping trees and it is 2 feet on average. This weekend should make for some real good trail riding. Off trail is going to be concrete looking at forcasted temps. Friday might be good and soft.

tallcool1

On behalf of the riders who DO stay on trail and respect other people's property, I'm sorry for those idiots.

Was hoping to get one last ride in next week, then saw the recent weather and figured it was over. After reading these reports, I guess I should reconsider going to the Munising area.

Out in the plains there is prob 4 feet. More towards Munising it is closer to 2 feet left. The web cam at the white fawn community center is a real accurate representation of what there is out in the woods 10 miles south of Munising. Did a bunch of walking around in the woods tapping trees and it is 2 feet on average. This weekend should make for some real good trail riding. Off trail is going to be concrete looking at forcasted temps. Friday might be good and soft.
What are the plains?have heard this mentioned before and from guys that have atved .

snocrazy

Kingston Plains. About 25 miles east of Munising.
Trails around here are epic fast. Nothing but groomer tracks. Feel bad for the srx holding it wide open for so long.....

snocrazy

WARNING - They were out yesterday with the big loaders notching the snow banks on the sides of roads for water run off.
So if you are running down the side of a road up on a snow bank, there can be a 3 foot drop 15 feet wide that you cant really see when cruising along.
If you hit one of these bad boys when its cold out you will not like the outcome. Be careful out there.
Trail 7 down here by Buckhorn is perfection. They have def been grooming at night.