munising

woodside

208 miles yesterday and could have easily done 250+. Both Munising groomers were down when we arrived Sunday. Still 7 & 8E were 6 out of 10.

Tr's towards Seeney and Manitisque were good except TR43 southeast. 7-10 rating. Lots of plowed roads so would avoid that. TR2 is closed east of Gulliver.

TR8 coming back to Buckhorn last night from north of Seeney had 2-3ft moguls for 30 miles or so. Not used to that riding in the Bayfield/Valhalla area. Hope the groomer was able to catch up.

helhuf

Starting to panic, we are going up Saturday for a week. Hope they get the groomers going and the snow holds up with the warm weather coming :( We aare staying in a new place in AuTrain..

1fujifilm

TR8 coming back to Buckhorn last night from north of Seeney had 2-3ft moguls for 30 miles or so. Hope the groomer was able to catch up.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, now that's the Munising I remember; glad to see some things never change.

Bear

pauli18c

TR8 coming back to Buckhorn last night from north of Seeney had 2-3ft moguls for 30 miles or so. Hope the groomer was able to catch up.

Ahhh, now that's the Munising I remember; glad to see some things never change.

Bear[/QUOTE]

LOL, just gotta hold the fun flipper down to about 70mph and you're good to go!

heckler56

Starting to panic, we are going up Saturday for a week. Hope they get the groomers going and the snow holds up with the warm weather coming :( We aare staying in a new place in AuTrain..

Just load all our old tracks in your gps and we will take all those trails I keep having to follow ur $$$ on. This could be ur dream week....

rinkerman

We just came back this morning. Rode some great trails & plenty that had been freshly groomed Sunday & yesterday. Rode to Big Springs yesterday & followed the groomer good part of way. Nice guy was having lunch at the Big Springs Inn. There is a groomer broken down maybe 10 miles south of Munising. If the weather forecast for the weekend coming up are accurate it could get ugly. Weather channel shows 47 degrees on Saturday.

woodside

Groomers are working the trails. Rode east of Munising today to Grand Marais. 8 to 10 on the way and 4 to 8 on the way back. Traffic is light. Good base and corners are holding up well but the stutters and small moguls show up a few hours after a trail is groomed.

Glad we will gone by the weekend as I doubt the groomers will be able to keep up with the weekend traffic and warm temps. Maybe they will be able to groom at night depending on temps but even then, the trails won't hold up.

Got 1-2" LES this afternoon and NWS is calling for a bit more tonight.

mjkaliszak

Well for almost 15 yrs since I started training my kids we stayed clear of Munising. I would never be caught staying in/near a " hub ". Last year right after a blizzard that shut down roads ,,,, 3 of us came to the WPL in xmas. The entire trip, 3 days of pure bliss by aging adrenaline junkies . Only us Old Dogs get together last few years ....since our' Posse's have grown up . Everything was sweet except for the TR 8 Grade at the end of the last day. ( instead of dealing with that we H-58'ed it ) back to the " sing ". I took these guy's whom are primarily WUP riders to every sweet spot I know .

Well we rolled in Monday at the end of the day... the 419's in & out are BONK..... the groomer reports from " the Sing " even as we were traveling up were good. What we found this morning was class A - #1 shat. Liking WPL & Froggies ect... ( I had hoped that " The Sing " changed it ways from earlier years. )
This time I have 2 friends ( husband & wife ) from our old group, we are trying to get her back into sledding since we both suffer " empty nesters disease ".

No where did we pick up on the 2 down groomers here, we know of the loss in Seney and some paradise equipt issues.

We did 20 miles here dinking w/ whoops and got so PO'ed that we returned to the lodge loaded and drove to the Kingston plains, rode the crazy 8's and ate in GM.

Now I'm going to post the report from AS as of 6:30 today.
Looks .... ???? like almost fixed ....? Here is the problem. I just ran into 2 guys that came from copper harbor , they said it was good or better EXCEPT for the last 10 miles ... it pounded them. Fun Fun after 290 miles then the last 10 ( trail 419 into the sing ).

Here is the report. I will let you decide . As far as us we are hauling to the buckhorn area and launching , *** and ... F in Munising .... Hard to get one of our wifes to take interest again when the BS lack of grooming and the lack of 2 groomers down info helped beat her up .

Save your ambitions, stay somewhere that has truthful info regarding grooming. Heck Grand Marias is running 24 hrs night & day, same weather & temp's.
to the south a ways Alger Sova did good ... but I don't believe they did 419.

Well in 2.5 hrs.... I'm going to get the jump on my friends while their still sleeping , and haul my rig to a few locations that are supposed to be groomed and nearly fixed.
WE WILL SEE....

I most certainly didn't take a week vaca for this shat. we could have went somewhere else.

The White Pine Lodge is good, Froggy's and the NEW owner of the AC dealer.... good also.

Munising can stick it. Doubt we will ever come back .

TRAIL REPORT: 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, 2/14/17
GROOMING OPERATIONS: Trail 7 North, Trail 419, Trail 8 to Trail 422 and Trail 422 to Miners Castle being groomed today.

(conditions reported after grooming)

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Overall Fair to Very Good with light traffic.
Trail 8 - Good to Very Good.
Trail 7 South - Good.
Trail 7 North - Good. Heavy moguls before grooming.
Trail 419W (Munising-Christmas) -Good. Heavy moguls before grooming. Continue to use caution due to possible soft spots closer to Munising. Moguls prior to grooming.
Trail 422 (Miners Castle) - Good. Moguls prior to grooming.
Trail 419E (to Trail 8) - Very Good.
Trail 419 (Wetmore-Munising) - Good
. Moguls prior to grooming.

WEATHER: 32 degrees, 14-21 mph NW Winds, Lake Effect Snow
Past 24 Hour Snowfall: 0" South, 0" North (approximate).

CAUTIONS, WARNINGS and UPDATES:

CAUTION FOR TRAIL 7 South:
Mogul Hazard just south of Doe Lake Road (3.5 miles south of Trail 8) has been reduced. Stop signs still in place due to underlying trail condition. Reduce speeds here and ride with caution.

CAUTION FOR TRAIL 419:
Standing and flowing water creating soft spots in wet areas of the hills closer to Munising. RIDE WITH CAUTION.

CAUTION FOR TRAIL419 (Munising Wetmore Connector) - Trail 419 connector is OPEN. Please use caution when riding. It's a congested area with driveway crossings. PLEASE obey all stop signs and give right-of-way to vehicles.

craigrev

Staying in Christmas. Rode 313miles yesterday. Only bumpy trails were 7 and 419. Once away from Munising, trails were flat and fast. Very good to excellent! Met groomers all day long. 419 from Munising to 7 to Christmas had just been groomed (around 9pm). Saw groomer parked at Krist gas station. Judging from the tracks, a group of 3-5 sleds met the groomer ahead of us. The groomer only touched the edges of the trail and did nothing to knock down the moguls. You could
barely tell that a groomer had been through there after only 6 or so sleds. If that groomer had made 6 more passes it may have done some good. Trail 8 was being triple groomed at 8am.near miners castle. 2 groomers were broke the day before according to trail report. Newberry was getting thin and slushy. Trail 45 from Newberry to Tahquamenon falls had about 5 miles of bare trail (logging ugh!) Paradise, Grand Marais, PineStump, Singleton were all awesome!

ragsled

Staying in Christmas. Rode 313miles yesterday. Only bumpy trails were 7 and 419. Once away from Munising, trails were flat and fast. Very good to excellent! Met groomers all day long. 419 from Munising to 7 to Christmas had just been groomed (around 9pm). Saw groomer parked at Krist gas station. Judging from the tracks, a group of 3-5 sleds met the groomer ahead of us. The groomer only touched the edges of the trail and did nothing to knock down the moguls. You could
barely tell that a groomer had been through there after only 6 or so sleds. If that groomer had made 6 more passes it may have done some good. Trail 8 was being triple groomed at 8am.near miners castle. 2 groomers were broke the day before according to trail report. Newberry was getting thin and slushy. Trail 45 from Newberry to Tahquamenon falls had about 5 miles of bare trail (logging ugh!) Paradise, Grand Marais, PineStump, Singleton were all awesome!

There is an update on the SORVA site that mentions a groomer developed issues while grooming 419, quite possibly the drag was up so they could make it out? See below.

TRAIL REPORT: 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, 2/15/17
GROOMING OPERATIONS: Trail 8,Trail 7 North, Trail 419 and Trail 422 to Miners Castle groomed last night. We have the Pisten Bully down right now. Hydraulic drive train issues appeared in the hills of Trail 419 last night an we had to limp it home. The John Deere is running non-stop to help cover the loss.

snocrazy

Yeah - the bully has a crazy hydraulic pressure issue. When he went out 419 he was limping trying to get to the Krist gas station.
Limped it back via the roads because it did not have enough power to get through the hills.

This last weekend.....
The John Deere broke just North of Buckhorn. Drive sprocket issues.
Bully sheered the hitch off in the Holiday station parking lot.
Both of these brokens were repaired as fast as possible with 100% volunteer effort.
After this the Bully developed the hydraulic issue. It is still down. Trying to get Pisten Bully to answer a phone even has been a struggle.

So now we have one groomer out (john deere) non stop.

Poop happens. Sorry for those that experienced bad trails.

The trail reports have been honest. Conditions change real fast around here when not groomed. So much traffic.
We are doing our best.

craigrev

Yeah - the bully has a crazy hydraulic pressure issue. When he went out 419 he was limping trying to get to the Krist gas station.
Limped it back via the roads because it did not have enough power to get through the hills.

This last weekend.....
The John Deere broke just North of Buckhorn. Drive sprocket issues.
Bully sheered the hitch off in the Holiday station parking lot.
Both of these brokens were repaired as fast as possible with 100% volunteer effort.
After this the Bully developed the hydraulic issue. It is still down. Trying to get Pisten Bully to answer a phone even has been a struggle.

So now we have one groomer out (john deere) non stop.

Poop happens. Sorry for those that experienced bad trails.

The trail reports have been honest. Conditions change real fast around here when not groomed. So much traffic.
We are doing our best.

Seen the Deere on 8 this morning. 8 was very good as well as 422 going to miner's
castle. Seen the Deere again this afternoon working hard on fixing corners on 7 between 8 and Christmas. I've seen how fast a freshly groomed trail can get torn up! I see you guys out there working night and day. Thank you for doing what you can!

snocrazy

i took the afternoon off of work. Bully is back out now too. I test drove it to Buckhorn. Another driver took over and going to 440 and back to wetmore tonight.
Cross your fingers and hope the hydraulic pressure adjustments are all that pig needed. Finally got a hold of a technician at Pisten Bully and he talked us through the pressure test and adjustments.

woodside

We rode TR 7 south/411/2 and TR7 north back to the Buckhorn Motel & Bar on Wednesday. The trails were all groomed and a 9.5 out of 10. Lot less snow the closer to Lake Michigan. TR7 south of the Buckhorn is an awesome trail. The area picked up a good 6"+ of LES Tuesday evening through Wednesday. Great three days of riding and the only exception was Monday night coming back on TR8 but the groomer was down. Only saw bout dozen sleds and then a few more the closer we got to the Buckhorn later in the afternoon.

Been to the UP in the past riding out of Bergland area and enjoyed Munising south and to the east much more.

joks79

For those of you who think Alger SORVA has a magic wand you are sadly mistaken. This area has been messed up for a long time, we all know that. There is a great group of members volunteering their time to make it better. They have been doing a ton of work in the area to make it better. I volunteered a couple of my weekends to help clear brush from trail 8 east of M94. It was a very rewarding job and I will be offering my help again this coming off-season. There is a lot more to a trail system then just grooming. Unfortunately that is what most people see and want to complain about. Brushing, fundraising, landowner relations, equipment maintenance, just to name a small few.

Alger SORVA like all snowmobile clubs needs more members who want to help out. I do know it has been posted on here for a trail work session last fall. I know other areas do the same. If you want to make a difference volunteer your time and help out! A day of trail work will be greatly appreciated. Join a club! Donate to club! Buying your trail sticker unfortunately isn't enough. Complaining about the trails does not help them. Joining a club and being active will make things better.

UPBob

Munising Alger SORVA took over grooming a year ago and they're doing a great job! Munising draws a lot of sleds with all the area has to offer. It has been extremely busy and you can't control the weather or equipment failures.
I rode their trails a lot this season and most of the time they were great. Riders this weekend have to realize it's going to be busy and warm......not a good combination!

snocrazy

Thanks for the good feedback. We have been busting our rears. We have a core group who have stepped up to challenge the status quo.

Last night the Pisten Bully acted up again. Loss of power. Steering issues. The prez keith called pisten bully trying to get a tech out here. It turned out that a tech was heading back from the SOO today and was able to stop in with in an hour! He spent the after noon diagnosing the issue. It is electrical. He believes he found the broken. The part will be here in the morning and he is staying in town tonight and will install it tomorrow in the morning.

In the mean time.... the John Deer has been out for 22 hours out of 24. Two driver shifts picking up the slack. George the boss of the Deere has been driving operators around and delivering fuel so that the Deere does not have to come back in to Wetmore Holiday to fill up. It is running non stop.
We have a bunch of people running the show who will not accept any thing but the best. People have even said "we are not at war". I feel we are! Us vs the snowmobilers who tear the trail up. If we do not groom all 80 + miles of trail we maintain daily 2 times, it will be a poop show. over 160 miles of trail grooming a day between 2 groomers. You do the math..... WE figured over 1000 hours of volunteer time over the last Month.

old abe

Thanks for the good feedback. We have been busting our rears. We have a core group who have stepped up to challenge the status quo.

Last night the Pisten Bully acted up again. Loss of power. Steering issues. The prez keith called pisten bully trying to get a tech out here. It turned out that a tech was heading back from the SOO today and was able to stop in with in an hour! He spent the after noon diagnosing the issue. It is electrical. He believes he found the broken. The part will be here in the morning and he is staying in town tonight and will install it tomorrow in the morning.

In the mean time.... the John Deer has been out for 22 hours out of 24. Two driver shifts picking up the slack. George the boss of the Deere has been driving operators around and delivering fuel so that the Deere does not have to come back in to Wetmore Holiday to fill up. It is running non stop.
We have a bunch of people running the show who will not accept any thing but the best. People have even said "we are not at war". I feel we are! Us vs the snowmobilers who tear the trail up. If we do not groom all 80 + miles of trail we maintain daily 2 times, it will be a poop show. over 160 miles of trail grooming a day between 2 groomers. You do the math..... WE figured over 1000 hours of volunteer time over the last Month.

Appreciate all of your guys efforts to grooming the trails!!! I remember a few years ago, and how it was then. Thanks to all!!!

rinkerman

It was going good on Sunday when we passed it. Trails were great & we had a awesome trip. Thanks to the groomers for all there hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

32137312063_7101dc76ed_c.jpg