My "New" Sled!

garyl62

OK, I'm an official member of the Vintage Club now. Thanks to 700xcsp looking to sell his sleds, and Skiroule pointing out his listing, I'm now the proud owner of a 1972 Panther that runs, and a 72 parts sled to go with it. I worked the deal with Matt during the week and he even sent me a video of it running to confirm the info in his listing. We met up today and did a quick switch from his truck into my trailer without even starting it up this morning. I had some things to do this afternoon so after I finished I went out to the shop to snap some photos of it in the trailer. I couldn't resist sitting on it to check out the feel of things and I looked down at the pull rope and thought "why not give it a try"? It started on the first pull and ran nice and smooth :) It's pretty much all original to 1972 and in real decent shape. I'll take it apart a little over the summer to clean some things up, and replace a part or two, but this is just what I needed to get into the vintage game. Looks like I'll be good to go for "Lennyfest" next March!

Here's a few shots from inside the trailer this afternoon.

DSCN0195.jpg DSCN0199.jpg DSCN0200.jpg DSCN0205.jpg DSCN0215.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Way to go Gary! That sled looks very clean and straight!!

kirk600

Congratulations, that looks like a great vintage ride! Good luck replacing "just a part or two" but your in good hands around here for help. I know the members here have helped me a bunch.

skiroule

NICE!!

Congratulations Gary! It IS sharp! There is just nothing like the "Old Sled Smell" of a new purchase. Think those things will run forever and I'm betting you'll be surprised at how at the performance. Now we all expect you to be starting a build thread by summer.

catshed

sweet ride this Lenny thing has peaked my intrest as well may be looking for a vintage cat as well so you might not have to be alone with that new ride

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 72 Panther was one of our early family sleds. The pictures bring back a lot of memories, tool box up front, leopard print seat and the tip-up hood. We covered a lot of ungroomed trails, ditches, and farm fields with that one. Enjoy your find, she's a beauty!

L

lenny

heading out tuesday to pick up my new ride, 1973 Rupp 340 sport along with parts sled

garyl62

Well I've moved it out of the trailer and into the shop. Still looks pretty good, I'll do a few things to it go get things cleaned up, fixed up or maybe working better, but I'm still happy with it. Wish I could say the same about my wife's feelings. She's said more than once "I don't know what made you think you need that, just get rid of it now before you start spending time working on it". She already told me not to plan on more trips to go to vintage rides or shows so it looks like I'll be giving something up to hit a vintage event. Probably try to change some of the "regular" trip dates to include vintage rides too. Hoping she changes her mind a little by next season.

Anyway, here are a few more pics after I got it inside.

20150308_121241.jpg 20150308_121254.jpg 20150308_121349.jpg 20150308_121304.jpg 20150308_121326.jpg

L

lenny

Gary, I love it. What can you tell us about it. Does it idel well? Does it need parts. It does look great for its year, congrats again brother!

garyl62

I haven't really done a good inventory yet. Trying not to put too much time into it yet based on my wife's feelings about it and I started a home renovation project that I need to stay focused on.

I can say I tried to start it again and haven't been able to get it running since the day I bought it. Seems like a fuel issue but haven't even tried to figure it out. It does need the drive sprocket replaced but I got a spare one when I bought it. As far as parts etc, I just need to decide what level I want it to be at. It is fine as it is for just showing up and riding, if I want to fix things and make it an eye catcher, I'd say the biggest item would be the dash and hood. Looks like a belt let loose one time and without a guard on the sled it did some damage. Here is a photo of that. You can see the cracking coming from the bottom, and on the top of the dash it has been repaired.
20150308_121405.jpg

Other than getting it running and working on the dash/hood, most of the other things are just cosmetic. Some scuffed decals, broken trim at the bottom of the windshield, clean up the engine compartment, maybe steal a tach from one of the other dashes he gave me and install that, powder coat the skis, clean up the shocks, check the track....... like I said all depends on where I want to stop!

Problem is, I'm a carpenter not a mechanic. I have no problem with the cosmetic things but I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions and looking to my mechanic buddies in town to help me with the motor items.

kirk600

Gary,
That looks like a real nice project. It should be easy to work on. One thing I recommend is find a place to sand blast parts, whether its a friend or a business. And dont be afraid
to ask questions here......i also check youtube for tips and tricks. All the painting i did on mine was from a rattle can so far. Its easy to touch up and cheap!
Good luck on your home project, add a few extra "updates" to make the wife happy, and remind her of them when you want to work out in the garage

Gary, nice sled. Your picture reminds me to get into the business of building sled lifts that work with vintage sleds. It is a pain to lift the sled onto the lift (that didn't make sense) to then lift the sled to working height. Anyone have an answer to this problem?
Vintage sleds are a great hobby!!

skutr

Gary - don't worry about being a carpenter. Those old sleds only need 3 things to run (fuel, air & spark). Go to vintagesnow.com and find the owner and service manual. I checked and there's a 71 -73 service manual that you can download that should work.

pippy_b

Gary, Congrats on your new sled. I bought my 1972 Panther last year and have had a blast working on it. It had 46 documented original miles when I bought it now has 65 miles! Runs great now after some work and got a hand written 6 page letter from the original owner. Hit me up with any questions. Here is a picture of your sleds twin!!

Attachments

• 72 Panther.jpg
    72 Panther.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 63

garyl62

Gary - don't worry about being a carpenter. Those old sleds only need 3 things to run (fuel, air & spark). Go to vintagesnow.com and find the owner and service manual. I checked and there's a 71 -73 service manual that you can download that should work.

Thanks skutr, I was looking at buying one so you saved me $15. I'm sure it will be put to good use before next season.

Gary, Congrats on your new sled. I bought my 1972 Panther last year and have had a blast working on it. It had 46 documented original miles when I bought it now has 65 miles! Runs great now after some work and got a hand written 6 page letter from the original owner. Hit me up with any questions. Here is a picture of your sleds twin!!

Can't say mine is that "new" or even how many owners it's had, but I hope I can get some fun out of it. I'll be asking some questions for sure so keep your eyes out this summer.