My "New" Sled!

skiroule

Gotta love those Panthers!!!

I tell ya Gary, that is a decent sled. You're way ahead of the game as a starting point. I'd start with the basics: Pull all the running gear and replace the bearings (cheap) and make sure all the suspension shafts are free and greased. For some reason, they weren't big on grease fittings back then. Could be a number of reasons for the engine issue but most likely carb/fuel. Easy enough to check spark and go from there. As someone said: spark, fuel, and air and you're riding.

I can't guarantee it but I might run across a dash in my travels between now and next year. I'll be heading to Princeton this summer and of course, there is always Waconia. I'll keep an eye out. There was a guy in Belvidere that used to advertise a lot of vintage stuff but I think he was kind of a crook and the site banned him. When time and money cease to become an issue (probably never) reproduction hoods are readily available, as well as graphics kits.

By the way, the Copper Harbor Iron Man vintage ride is most likely Feb 18th of next year so if you're able to leave a couple of days early, you could catch that before your late model weekend (On second thought, maybe it's after your guy's weekend - anyway it's close to that time frame).

garyl62

Haven't done a thing since I brought it out of the trailer a month ago. The other night I was at the shop and just looked over at it and decided to sit on it for a while to get the "feel" for it again. While I was sitting on it I started fiddling around with the kill switch as I remembered it was hard to tell when it was engaged or not. After a couple minutes of playing with that and determining when it was engaged I figured I'd try starting it again and wouldn't you know it I was able to get it going on the second or third pull. Got it running for a while and was able to tweak the idle a bit so I'm feeling pretty good about getting it in top running condition for next season.

kirk600

Gary,
Glad you got it running again. some of the older cat kill switches are only available aftermarket. I helped my buddy replace one on a 1979 Pantera earlier this winter.

skiroule

The other night I was at the shop and just looked over at it and decided to sit on it for a while to get the "feel" for it again.

I can definitely picture this. Happens to me many times over the summer. One way or another we'll have to get the gang together for a ride next winter. The list of JDer's with vintage sleds gets longer every year.

ezra

She's said more than once "I don't know what made you think you need that, just get rid of it now before you start spending time working on it". She already told me not to plan on more trips to go to vintage rides or shows so it looks like I'll be giving something up to hit a vintage event. Probably try to change some of the "regular" trip dates to include vintage rides too.
.QUOTE]
well if u have to blow one off for a vintage Do Waconia.
if u do Waconia I will take u out for a modern sled ride also . we actually have some pretty good trails around here along with a few play areas .