Need a new truck

mikeh906

I need to buy a new truck for a pool biz. The problem is it has to tow my boat,[2600lbs] seat 4, and needs to be a pick up. I have always had GMC Yukon, chevy suburbans. Am thinking Toyota Tundra crew cab. Paying cash so 15g or less. I am finding out that tundras changed in 07 and that they sell for 15-25g. Is the 2000-2006 model ok? They sell with low miles 50k and less for 15g and less. The 07 and up v8 is a huge upgrade, but the money differance is huge also. They seem pricey, maybe I should look at GMC pick ups? What do you think is the way to go? Some pool guys run a trailer but 5-6 days a week dragging one around sounds like a pita to me. Plus I do not have a secure place to park it unless I rent a storage locker and that is just 1 more step to do. And I have no fear of trailers. Will the 4.0v6 work? I only tow 400 miles round trip at the most, normally 200 round trip or 3 miles locally.

mikeh906

OK, which one? What year? What motor? I really have to get edumacated on the trucks in my price range. 15k does not go far nowadays. But it should still buy a nice truck to fit my needs.

chad66

If you want to spend a little more I might sell a bad azz 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins!? High miles but tons of new parts with a ATS Stage IV tranny and with up to 600HP I think you could haul that boat just fine!

Chad@M&M

ripcord

Oh boy, here we go again

If you're gonna post that here... might as well just buy a Chevy, Ford or Dodge. I can't wait to see what this thread turns into.

mikeh906

Ripcord, Yah the thought acurred to me, I need a decent truck and as posted I am a GMC guy, but there are lots of options on what to buy. I have to be open to all. The Tundra is built in the USA wickpedia it. Chad, is there still ridable snow? Could be a deal breaker even if its more truck than I need. Did you have it 3 years ago? Might have seen it at your shop.

Wong

I had been a Ford and GM guy forever, but got tired of all the little stuff going wrong constantly. I have owned many Toyota vehicles since and would never go back. I have a 2003 Sequoia with the 4.7 liter V-8 that I use to pull my 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer. I know it sounds hard to believe but it out pulls my Brothers 2001 Chevy with the 5.3 liter V-8. I owned a 1999 GMC Suburban with the 5.7 liter V-8. I would say GMC 5.7 liter is about even in pulling power of the Sequoia with 4.7 liter. The Sequoia has 190,000 miles on it and has never been in the shop for anything other than plugs and oil changes. Go test drive a Tundra with the 4.7 liter V-8, I know you will be surprised at the power and torque of the motor.

slimcake

Funny.... The guy with the name "wong" recommends a toyota..... lmao... Any 1/2 ton chev with the 5.3. I have a 3/4 with the 6 liter and it gets thirst but I have worked the piss out of it (pulling lots of heavy oversize farm machinery) and it just keeps asking for more!!

mikeh906

The 4.7 is 276hp 313 torque, more than plenty to pull. 5.7 is an amazing 381hp 401 torque my Yukon was 235hp do not know the torque. I really hate to jump the fence, but whats a guy to do? I just want a good truck and will keep it for years..,

snobinge

Go Toyota and never look back. My father in-law was a tried and true american truck guy. He gets a new work truck every 2-3 yrs. I remember when I first started dating his daughter he made fun of my "TOY" truck(Tacoma). He has had them all...GMC, Ford, and Dodge...mostly 3/4 tons. He now has owned two 4 runners and a Highlander for the wife and is on his 3rd Tundra. I did always like GM trucks, but the quality is no comparison in my opinion. If you don't need a big diesel go TOYOTA.

anonomoose

Let me wade right into this shark pool :)D sorry john) and give my penny's worth.

I believe that I read not long ago about a pretty big recall on the Sequoia...just can't remember what it is about.

My GMC has about 128k on it 5.3 liter 2003 model and I had to pull the anti lock brake fuse to get the truck to stop. As the front axles wear, the sensors that tell the brain that the wheel is moving or not, stop sensing movement and take over braking and you start to come to a stop and the truck would keep going and you could take out the garage or hit a car stopped in front of you.

Now each time I get in the truck the anti-lock brake light goes on and stays on, and takes over the information panel of the dashboard. This happened on both a 2002 and 2003 but the 02 had extended warranty and the dealership replace the axles and said, "boy you are lucky cause that job is expensive."

Apparently this is a problem that most of these trucks will do at slow speed because the NTSA has a bulletin on it and explain exactly what to do to fix it if you can find the parts at the dealership. In my opinion, this should have been corrected by computer chip, disabling the anti-lock braking system at speeds below 10 mph; you should be smart enough to take your foot off a brake peddle if the truck starts to skid at this low speed.

I don't think the Ford trucks do this. Probably a different system altogether.

Also the spart tire carrier can get pretty useless if you don't lower it down and keep it greased once in awhile. They lock up there and you can't get the tire down if you have a flat.

And another thing is that the transfer case (4x4 unit) has a pump in it that can slide back and forth (too much wiggle room) inside the case and wear a hole in the case causing fluid to leak out and toast the transfer case. My tranny guy said he replaces these all the time. He has a bracket that can go around the pump snugging it up, weld the case hole back up...it is pea sized, and puts it all back together again with fluid, which is about $1500 out the window.

Again I haven't heard of this happening to a Ford. I don't know, maybe GM fixed this problem(s) but when you have these issues and have to pay to fix them, that should be added to the cost of owning this truck.

The last issue I had with it was a fuel pump that crapped out going 65 mph down the road with 18 footer trailer behind it...but I think those fuel pumps can go on any of these trucks.

I did own a 2004 6 liter 2500 and it had tons of power, but never cracked the 12 mpg issue on the gasoline consumption meter....which today is VERY important.

Otherwise no complaints about power and work.

mikeh906

I really did not start this for another reason other than I need a new/used truck. And what better place to ask than JD? We all tow our toys. I am researching all brands, no need to get uptight. I know Yamaha still makes sleds, and peaple buy them, so why not a Toyota? Nisson also makes a good truck. Its all about the most for my money.

asmski

I have a 2007 tundra w/ the 5.7. I love it, I'm glad I spent the extra $5gs to get the newer model with the big engine. I think it rides much better than the earlier design.

Prior to this I owned a '97 ford and I will never go back. I have heard that Ford's quality has increased dramatically in the past couple years, it needed to. But my experience was bad enough and there are enough other great trucks out there that I'm not willing to try them again.

The GMCs look really nice, but I have no experience with them.

skiroule

I have the same truck as Anonomoose (03 GMC 5.3) with 136,000 mi. and I have had a lot of the problems listed so this is not an isolated case. On the plus side, towing is never a problem for this motor and it's very hard to beat the GM 5.3 when it comes to mileage. I'm a GMC person but if you're going to look at GM, I would look at something later than 03 (if it's within your budget).

A co-worker has a Tundra of the same vintage and he likes it but it did have a frame rust issue, which was fixed by Toyota. Other than that, he has had no real problems with the truck.

If I were buying today, I'd wouldn't rule out any brand and I would test drive as many as I could. There's just no substitute for the hands-on experience.

After owning a chevy working at a Toyota dealership I can say that toyota does and should have a great reputation. With that said I think the cars that were made stateside vs. the ones made in Japan have a huge quality difference. I don't think you would have a problem with the 4.7L from the Toyota and all I have heard about the 5.7 vs. 5.3 is that even though the 5.3 has better numbers on paper, the displacement from the 5.7 pulls better. I believe the Sequia story, we used to get 2 year old ones with 100K on it that ran better than some other makes with 30k on them.

I would say if you are buying used usually a salesman who is trying to convince you of the pulling ability would let you pull your trailer with a truck you are thinking about buying (with him along of course).