Need a new truck

chad66

Mike, yes it's the same truck as 3 years ago but looks nothing like it use to. 4.5" lift w/35x12.5x20, SRT-10 hood, painted with rock guard on the bottom and top of bed rails and also heavy duty bumpers front and rear.

Chad@M&M

mikeh906

so do you have snow? I really did not want to open a can of worms here. I just need a truck. And want the most for my buck like everyone else. My GMC never let me down, and I put it thru the paces, over and over again. Gave it to my son and he still beats the crap out of it. Young and dumb I guess. 276,000 miles And still takin names

peter

I'm a gmc guy just because I have had good luck with them. My buddy has a toyota tundra that we used to pull a 3 place inline with gear and 1 sled in back of truck 800 mile round trip I must say it pulled it all no problem. Oh and its the older smaller one. I think a 2006

700classic

Mike, you never stated if you needed 4 wheel drive or not? That would eliminate alot of issues some of the other guys were talking about

Wong

We all have many choices when it comes to buying vehicles. We all need to vote with our dollar and buy what is KNOWN to be a reliable quality built vehicle. We shouldn't continue to buy something because it's what your Dad or your family has always driven. If consumers purchased the most reliable vehicle available and didn't pay attention to the emblem on the hood, we would drive all the other manufacturers to produce better vehicles. I believe Ford has listened to the consumer and is really building quality vehicles now. I truly believe if GM and Dodge don't make some major quality improvement changes, neither company will exist in 5 years.

ezra

after my last 05z71 I have a verry bitter taste in my mouth then the gov take over.I will prob never buy another GM and I have owned 5 full size GM were all good before 04 after 04 could not pay me to buy one.buds with Fords are having good luck even with hi MI work trucks.I know of 2 nissan titans not so great bad MPG and both have had tyranny issues at just over 60k and 1 has had all kinds of gadget probs lights nav screen etc.I am also looking in to Toyota the resale alone is amazing. I only know 1 guy well that has one and he has had no issues in 3 yrs with it and it gets used hard.cant judge on 1 truck but have heard good things from casual conversations with guys who own them.my next will be a toy or f150 what ever one has the best deal at the time.I want to know when the rummer f150 diesel is going to arrive or just another urban myth

harvest1121

The big 3 where all suppose to release a small diesel the same year. But with the down turn they all decided not to do it. Don't you think 1 of them would see an opening and release one? It seems they follow the same business plan wait till they all have one to release so they do not sell more trucks. But with diesel sky rocketing again who knows if there CEO (Obama) will let them. Oops thats only gm.

acatzl550

we have the gm 5.3 in our 01 tahoe and never heard of the thing about burning a lot of oil? the one problem we had with it is blew the head gaskets out at 145k miles (now has 150k) while towing 2 atvs on snowmobile trailer doing 75 down HWY 29, was in the shop for about a week and a half and what they do is they ship it somewhere to have the heads shaved down so they know it will fit level on the block. a plus about that i guess is it has really good oil pressure since that was done lol about 58lbs warm

mikeh906

Alot of the crew cabs are not 4whl drive, It might be nice to have, but down here not sure if I need it? Used it to pull out of the ramp, just because I had it. Good question. I have not made it a requirement yet?

mikeh906

Prowrench, Still on the floor. It is funny, not to make fun of wong, he had good advice. I am very confused as to what to buy, and the posts show how confusing it is. I really do not want to buy the Wong one. I just could not resist.

6hundy6

Chev trucks look and ride very nice, and can pull decent enough. if you want a work truck that will tow and haul I would look at Ford. I have worked out of both chev and ford trucks and Ford is a far better working truck, towing and hauling. You may give up a little cab comfort but Ford trucks definitely work harder. F-series or Super duty.

I own an 03 chev z 5.3 and would never buy a yota.

yamadooed

06 DC with a 4.7 gets 15mpg loaded and 18 empty... Should be able to find one in yer price range.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Oh, don't buy a rice burner, you will never hear the end of it! I messed up and bought a Dodge Hemi.Who cares the pc. ofcrap sucks gas and sags when you hsul a loaf of bread in it. never again. (unless priced at 1/3rd a chev. again) It is amazing how price can sway us. Chev. cost more for a reason. Built better and to last. Toyota may be okay but can't get past the word Toy in the name. Plus my brother-in-law works there. LOl. (that is my way out on that one). Brand loyalty runs high in my household.

mikeh906

Not brand loyal to trucks or sleds and have owned them all over the years. The truck in the pic is what I have been looking at, some with the v8 some with 4whl drive. I had the feeling the 4.7 would work. Still seems like alot of money for it. My last truck was a Envoy [Jimmy]. No real problems but it liked gas and was really not big enough to haul the boat, it worked real hard and you had to be careful in towing. That was the 4.3 v6. The last few years I have not put alot of miles on, 4000 or so a year. The only reason I bought the Envoy was price, it just happened to be a GMC. Traded it off on my wifes Sebring conv. Got 2X what I pd, and had it 2yrs. I have been driving Grandmas old [98] Bonni, just cracked 39k on the OD LOL. I knew this day was coming to get another truck. Wish one would fall into my lap as in the past, but that will never happen cause I need one. My friend has a F250 Diesal Ext. Cab LB, love it, but its more truck than I will ever need. And more than I want to spend. Can not feel the boat behind it, still get 18mpg to the Keys. I passed on a F350 D, long box, King Ranch? now I find it was 5-8g less than its value. Just did not know better. The Toyota seems like a real nice truck, they drive awesome, fit and finish is as nice or nicer than GMC. Their reputation is very good. I just do not want to get stuck with a turd. And go thru the buying proccess all over again. Thanks to all for the humor and advice.