Need some feedback on a Ski Doo MXZ TNT 900 ACE

ICT Sledder

Probably a bit apples to oranges, but I’d take the Yamaha triple (Viper or ZR7000) over the SkiDoo 900 ACE everyday and twice on Sunday.

Don’t understand the 900 ACE love generally, but maybe I’m not the target market.

pclark

I've always liked the Yamaha brand but in this current world trying to find anything decent to ride on is a challenge. The prices for anything used these days is ridiculous and this presented the best option. It's my first Ski-doo since a single lung 1969 that spewed son much exhaust straight into you as you rode it you would think you would never get the smell off you. The other thing I remember about it was that the muffler was so loud that I was deaf for hours after riding it. My riding buddy has the same 900 ACE and he has had really good luck with it.

old abe

pclark, you made a excellent choice, and purchase. You won't be one bit disapointed! And so people don't understand the the liking of the Doo 900, eh? The Ride, and "Balance", the heart of the Doo 4 stroke is way, way above the Yam Viper, or AC 7000. A good friend has 2, 3 cyl Yama/Cats. The Doo 4 Strokes are of "intended modular design", and produced as such. Thus the easy, enjoyable, balanced ride! Not a "shoehorned", unfitting, unbalanced adaption. So it is. My clutched 900 Doo will run with, out perform the Yama/Cats all day long! Been there, done that! Doo now has the 4 stroke market completely covered, no matter what flavor you want. I always thought that would be Yamaha's to have themselves? Sad, but they, YAMAHA had NO such desire to be that! I remember when Yamaha was very big in the snowmobile business, but that was very long ago. I always say ride what you like, and enjoy, or it won't be muckh fun!

attakman

As an old yamaha guy..you won't hear me picking on the viper...they are fine trail sleds...but you can't really compare them to a 900..the viper is 130 HP .and like abe said surprisingly..just as fast as the bigger viper (and with a better ride, handling and better fuel economy)...honestly the 900 is just a beautiful little motor, quiet and sips fuel...I put nearly 3,000 miles on a tnt 900 (over 2 seasons)...I averaged 21 MPG...the same as my buddy on an etec 600...the only thing it lacks is top speed...85 was all she would do with my big butt on it....ask yourself how many times you go over 70 MPH while riding in a group....I was surprised by the little 900....its an excellent sled, and very popular..(We have ZERO new or used 900's in stock)...as soon as they come in...they are gone....I love the 900...but couldn't get one..so I bought a 16 mxzx 1200...and it gives me just a bit more power on top, though less fuel economy...I average about 16 to 17 mpg with it. I don't miss my apex at all...the only thing it did better than this 1200 is top end...this 1200 handles and rides circles around an apex...the difference in ride between a ski doo and a yamaha is staggering...you don't realize how bad they ride until you trade with your buddy, and your buddy doesn't want to trade back....it's sad. I could go on and on...but Abe hit the nail on the head...ski doo now makes the better apex (the 900 turbo)...I dare anyone who loved their apex (that doesn't need 200 HP)...to ride a 900 turbo...that being said...if you are older like me and don't care about the HP/speed...get a 900 (or a used 1200) you will not regret it. Yamaha got me hooked on the 4 strokes, but IMO they gave up...they left me no choice but to buy a ski doo.

attakman

BTW...I can't get ANY 1 plus 1's...they are back ordered (xs chassis one plus one's are back ordered until April)...if you find one...GRAB IT.

fjr4me

Got a PB-80 primary clutch calibrated for the 900, not a Cudney clutch, or kit. Put in a Dalton secondary spring, set at 21#, and played around removing some pucks in PB 80. Hit the hammer, and up to 7900, pulls back to 76, 7500. It just gets to where you're going a lot quicker. Ran many days WOT for long periods, never a issue! +/- 20 mpg no matter how hard you ride it. Have thought about trying the PB 80 spring used for the old 1200 Doo? Some guy's used there 1200 PB 80, along with removing pucks. I haave encountered absolutely no "heat/belt issues with the PB 80, none! And so easy to work with is the big bonus. As I still have my original Doo clutch set up with Goodwin goodies, springs, weights also.
I have the same set up on my wife's 16' - 900 Ace Blizzard.
Definitely a world of difference from stock clutching. It is much more fun to ride now.

SledTL

pclark, you made a excellent choice, and purchase. You won't be one bit disapointed! And so people don't understand the the liking of the Doo 900, eh? The Ride, and "Balance", the heart of the Doo 4 stroke is way, way above the Yam Viper, or AC 7000. A good friend has 2, 3 cyl Yama/Cats. The Doo 4 Strokes are of "intended modular design", and produced as such. Thus the easy, enjoyable, balanced ride! Not a "shoehorned", unfitting, unbalanced adaption. So it is. My clutched 900 Doo will run with, out perform the Yama/Cats all day long! Been there, done that! Doo now has the 4 stroke market completely covered, no matter what flavor you want. I always thought that would be Yamaha's to have themselves? Sad, but they, YAMAHA had NO such desire to be that! I remember when Yamaha was very big in the snowmobile business, but that was very long ago. I always say ride what you like, and enjoy, or it won't be muckh fun!
Not going to stray too far into the weeds but not sure how a clutch kit makes up for 45hp? Stock I can hang with 850s for quite awhile.

whitedust

Not going to stray too far into the weeds but not sure how a clutch kit makes up for 45hp? Stock I can hang with 850s for quite awhile.
Doo 900 is a capable family trail sled select mode and go. You want more step up to turbos. I have the 900t 150 and don’t want more... more often than not I ride twistys in Standard to avoid shoulder strain. Sport for wide open trails were I can hold speed. Eco for loading unloading or when I want to putt ,putt when not leading. 900 is a strong and versatile engine. Viper not a bad sled either but probably more expensive new or used.

Tuck

wow! I could actually sell mine and make money on it. Just sold the spare 2 up seat with not backrest

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Abe pretty much summed it up there and along comes Gary to tap the brakes a bit. I love the Blizzard package, the ride, the engine, everything but....on my 2017 to remove the battery for the first time was the cause of using words you don't use in church. As with most things mechanical these days, everything is shoe-horned to save space and cost. Such is the case on my Blizzard. This is a picture of mine with the right side panel open showing the battery in it's mount.
Blizzard 1.jpg
The issue is the yellow piece along the bottom that's attached with 3 or 4 rivets. To remove the battery you have to remove the muffler, to remove the muffler you have to remove the hood, to remove the hood you need to remove the instrument pod, to remove that, you have to remove the windshield and mirrors. AND THEN you can remove the battery. It's just the reverse in the fall when I'm reattaching the battery for winter fun. I suppose an easy remedy would be to cut off the rivets on the yellow cover and replace with screws. Even then, I'm not sure there would be clearance to remove the bracket that holds the battery in place. The whole process only takes me about 20 minutes or so but the first time was quite a bit longer. Of course wrestling with the muffler springs is always a challenge. Maybe later editions didn't have this quirk but in my world it is the price one pays to play in the snow.:)

old abe

Hmmmm? I think your going a bit over board? Not sure why your removing the hood, and gauges Gary? I only remove the muffler to change out the battery, and oil. Yeah well it takes a bit to figure it out, but that's what I do. And the shift linkage can be a bit awkward. A bit more to check/adjust chain, and chain lube. Yes it's a packed in deal alright. And it's a MUST to have a long, strong, push, pull spring tool to be able to push, pull, and twist..

xcsp

pclark, keep a watch on Doo Talk & eBay too.

gary_in_neenah, when I had my 2014 900ace, it helped to remove the one screw (#16) on the top of that yellow cover, which allowed you to "bend" the panel to give some clearance. Just can't go too far.

1640907311804.png

The G4 chassis (2019-up) 900ace has the battery behind the seat which makes access so much easier.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmmm? I think your going a bit over board? Not sure why your removing the hood, and gauges Gary? I only remove the muffler to change out the battery, and oil. Yeah well it takes a bit to figure it out, but that's what I do. And the shift linkage can be a bit awkward. A bit more to check/adjust chain, and chain lube. Yes it's a packed in deal alright. And it's a MUST to have a long, strong, push, pull spring tool to be able to push, pull, and twist..
I'll have to look again at the end of the season. Not sure how you're getting the muffler springs at the exhaust pipe off with the hood in place. Maybe you're coming in from the back side, I'll have to look at that.

old abe

I'll have to look again at the end of the season. Not sure how you're getting the muffler springs at the exhaust pipe off with the hood in place. Maybe you're coming in from the back side, I'll have to look at that.
I can tell you Gary, the "strong" push/pull spring tool is a MUST for me being able to do it the way I do!

wiscrev

Talked to my dealer yesterday who said there are no 900's available-----all sold out. He said don't expect to see any until next year. As for me, I'll take the 900 Turbo but would settle for a 900.

dothedoo

Just get a spring tool, or make one out of a long flat blade screwdriver.

To make one, you just grind a little notch in the end of the screwdriver for pushing, and grind an angled notch in the side for pulling.

And make sure you have a long handled magnet because if you’re anything like me, you drop the last spring you’re putting on and it falls beneath the muffler or in the engine bay.