New John Deere x590

lofsfire

In another post I have going LoveMyDobe mentioned retiring form John Deere, and I started to reply in that but figure I start this a new post to t jump subjects to much...

retiring from J Deere in Iowa before we moved North up here.

So LoveMyDobe meant to tell you I picked up my first John Deere this past November. In October my 25 year-old Craftsman DLT2000 died for the last time. I bought a x590 with a 47" blower and 60" deck. Amazing the difference in the two. I did not get much time with snow removal this year but it did great when I did use it and it cuts beautifully as well! Only 7.5 hours on it so far. My son has been cutting the grass for years now. But this year I've want to use the tractor so he has been doing all the trim work and push mowing the front yard. He ask me two weeks ago when he was going to get to drive the tractor. I told him to enjoy the help! I received the teen eye roll in return... LOL

Don't judge the clutter on the tool bench. LOL

Winter mode
AP1GczNpvAUTGJ-94DRp4X3CGRkwN0HlOcX3etA_FNohsqIiLjJ51c2z7FwI_X4p0Sfa95d7hKlntVtzz1CNfCvKso71L1NAqvSUOXcDpLOTwU_RdpjRI0H8fVQHs_BdOb-9AqgBq_W9IcKgF6QJlhk2VTQTVw=w1712-h963-s-no-gm

Summer mode
AP1GczOdPIHHnyvDV0r5stAW8Wor49x_jWicCNJ6MSdF3um1ZrzyubfDxr2wQggvoQUyRKArvi95Uj173OWR5RYRcwrnfSd3Z_zPKVTJMn-2Cw9MtXvLYqcCjEAj3zksuxmdhK01sM7xSRqUc2RdZ_oarN-gEw=w722-h963-s-no-gm

I did upgrade the seat to the x700 series seat and it was well worth it. Also, I changed the headlights out for some LED projector style. They make a world of difference at night!

I also added some grip tape to the tractor near the foot pads. Should help save on some scratches... I know its a tractor...
AP1GczOVBZ-bB2yo6ad88uyN-zNPhFrCF8F-etO4tAfMDAvW9w4I_n7QqCepLdLLKI9Xob2McyMfaTrPzGFd8C4AsFyNm0Rp5hMedmKiQmvGZOFKa8sdWdj7Gu_dt55ka8TE0B702PnkPDS3S8zCmIqJWrr0Jw=w1284-h963-s-no-gm

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a nice tractor! Mine is more than 20 years old and still cuts like the first time. Just curious if you have the "Easy Change" oil filter? Essentially, you're only changing "some of the oil" and not all of it. Seems like a lot of people would like the Less Mess and Faster Oil Change, Old Schoolers, not so much. But I doubt Deere would put anything on the market that wasn't proven.

lofsfire

That's a nice tractor! Mine is more than 20 years old and still cuts like the first time. Just curious if you have the "Easy Change" oil filter? Essentially, you're only changing "some of the oil" and not all of it. Seems like a lot of people would like the Less Mess and Faster Oil Change, Old Schoolers, not so much. But I doubt Deere would put anything on the market that wasn't proven.
No, from my understanding that is on the 100 series models. I think just the box stores carry those. I believe the dealers start at the x300 line. Not sure where your oil drain is but, mine is just far enough that it will clear the frame even at a slow drip. If you look at the very first picture with the blower attached you can just see it. It is black so it blends in very well... but right in front of the foot well in that all black area is where it's at. They say you can fit an oil pan on the deck and just open it up and let it drain... I will find out soon enough. I think 10 hours is the first oil change.

Nice heated cab! and is own garage space! I almost went with the x739. I knew it was over kill, hell the x590 is probably more than I need! My thinking was changing the deck and blower would be so much easier... Since it had the autoconnect drive over deck and PTO drive for the blower... But when it came down to it I had to have the need to change it much more often to be able to justify the almost double price tag. After I came back to reality, I then I started looking at the x584 after reading lots on line and guy complaining about the 4-wheel steer especial in the snow and knowing the x590 was EFI I eventually decide on what I bought.

That x700 seat is so nice! being able to adjust the back really made it better for me. It also allows you to mount the seat about another 1-1/2" farther back. which gave me more leg room.

The other add-on I bought was the electronic on demand mulch control. I have a few areas of landscaping that the natural direction to mow the yard makes you blow clippings in the the rocks. Now I just hit the button and it close off the discharge shoot. The other feature the x590 has his the hydraulic attachment lift and power steering which I cannot believe how big of a difference that makes. Which is another reason I decide against the x584.

If I knew I was going to be doing lots of yard stuff I would have spularge on the X700 series... but with the capability of the x590 I'm very impressed. I met a guy on a facebook group that has an aftermarket front-end loader (Little Green Monster) attachment for his... Looks perfect for moving materials around the yard...

eao not sure if you need it or not but when I was looking there was a grapple attachment for the quick hitch for your X700 series. It looked really useful...

saber1

They are great tractors i have the predecessor 425 with a bucket and blower attachment it does a lot of work around the house and its a 96 still going strong If your looking for a bucket look into the Little buck a local company in IL that makes custom buckets for most of the JD tractors i have the Little Buck on mine https://www.littlebuckloader.com/shop/p/little-buck-loader

Last edited:

eao

eao not sure if you need it or not but when I was looking there was a grapple attachment for the quick hitch for your X700 series. It looked really useful...
Mine is only used for snow removal, have 3 drives to clear and they don't plow my street till 1pm so sometimes I am a good neighbor and clear the street (small town). Has a 25hp V-Twin Kawasaki (gas) engine, 4-wd. Pretty much trouble free although the chain drive blower was a problem so we converted it to gear drive a few years ago, new models are gear drive.
DSC01338.jpg

If you are wondering what the wire plug is, battery tender. Same oem battery, 6+ yrs but who's counting.

Last edited:

lofsfire

They are great tractors i have the predecessor 425 with a bucket and blower attachment it does a lot of work around the house and its a 96 still going strong If your looking for a bucket look into the Little buck a local company in IL that makes custom buckets for most of the JD tractors i have the Little Buck on mine https://www.littlebuckloader.com/shop/p/little-buck-loader
Nice and you have a more property than me. Good to know they are worth the investment. I did see the loader but they don't have one for the new x500 series. My understanding is the old 400 and 500 were closer to what the x700 are now.
Mine is only used for snow removal, have 3 drives to clear and they don't plow my street till 1pm so sometimes I am a good neighbor and clear the street (small town). Has a 25hp V-Twin Kawasaki (gas) engine, 4-wd. Pretty much trouble free although the chain drive blower was a problem so we converted it to gear drive a few years ago, new models are gear drive.
DSC01338.jpg

If you are wondering what the wire plug is, battery tender. Same oem battery, 6+ yrs but who's counting.

First snow this year I did a few neighbors drives and the street. LOL I change to NOCO to chargers for my sleds last year so the plugs would match my jumper pack plug. I've only need it once. I got gas for the sled here by the house and turned the key on to check mileage. Got to the UP and the key was still on... The battery was not... If I ever need it again I can just plug in to the charging cord, no need to pull the seat off.

I still had my other charger so I put that on the tractor when I bought it.

I was going to aske if you pulled that cab off for the summer? But I guess no need to.

I did read that about the chain grives on the blowers. The complaint on my is the second auger (for the chute) is plastic. and it has larger gaps to the housing. Guys say if you change it out for the metal style you get another 20' of through distance. For now mine works fine.

I think we have the similar engine but mine is air cooled and yours is liquid cooled. There both 25.5 hp but I thing yours is just a bit bigger in C.I./ C.C.

elf

Wow, I'm GREEN with envy! I have a 1998 LX188 that I use to mow and blow snow. It has the 18 HP Kawasaki and still runs like new, just doesn't look like new anymore.

saber1

Nice and you have a more property than me. Good to know they are worth the investment. I did see the loader but they don't have one for the new x500 series. My understanding is the old 400 and 500 were closer to what the x700 are now.

First snow this year I did a few neighbors drives and the street. LOL I change to NOCO to chargers for my sleds last year so the plugs would match my jumper pack plug. I've only need it once. I got gas for the sled here by the house and turned the key on to check mileage. Got to the UP and the key was still on... The battery was not... If I ever need it again I can just plug in to the charging cord, no need to pull the seat off.

I still had my other charger so I put that on the tractor when I bought it.

I was going to aske if you pulled that cab off for the summer? But I guess no need to.

I did read that about the chain grives on the blowers. The complaint on my is the second auger (for the chute) is plastic. and it has larger gaps to the housing. Guys say if you change it out for the metal style you get another 20' of through distance. For now mine works fine.

I think we have the similar engine but mine is air cooled and yours is liquid cooled. There both 25.5 hp but I thing yours is just a bit bigger in C.I./ C.C.

Yes the X700 is the replacement for the 425 but the frame on the 425 is just a little bit heavier duty.I went that route because of that and the couple attachments u can still get for the cost of just the x700 There is a large community on face book for help and parts The 425 to 455 have kinda of cult following. If u have a couple acers its the perfect machine Would love to upgrade to the 455 with the Diesel engine someday Also u might want to call that company for the bucket not much difference in the new X500 than the older x400 to x495 they can tell u if it will work as long as the front end is the same should work PS just struck me the X500 doesn't have hydrolics for the bucket

Last edited:

lofsfire

Yes the X700 is the replacement for the 425 but the frame on the 425 is just a little bit heavier duty.I went that route because of that and the couple attachments u can still get for the cost of just the x700 There is a large community on face book for help and parts The 425 to 455 have kinda of cult following. If u have a couple acers its the perfect machine Would love to upgrade to the 455 with the Diesel engine someday Also u might want to call that company for the bucket not much difference in the new X500 than the older x400 to x495 they can tell u if it will work as long as the front end is the same should work PS just struck me the X500 doesn't have hydrolics for the bucket
You know about the John Deere place in Hobart, right. He specializes in late 80 to early 2000s. And a few random models that have that cult followings... Not sure if I'd get my money's worth out of the loader... I'm sure I could find projects but only have one that. I'd really like to do for sure right now. I have about 100' of shore line that I need to put rock down to stop erosion at. The bucket would make light work of the job, but I two friends that have 1025r's with buckets. So I know I could grab theirs for a one job project. Otherwise with my back the way it is I will get the loader in a second!

old abe

Yeah, well, sadly don't bet on your last sentence of thought gary. John Deere is not the company that they used to be in anyway or form! It's all about exorbitant $$ Corp profits now. What Deere used to be well known for, is no more. No bull, just fact, as I watched it happen.

LoveMyDobe

That’s a really nice machine! I’m still mowing with this since 2008. Sadly the Dobe in my profile picture is not longer with but I have adopted one to take over her “ chores”. And the statements regarding Deere not being the company it used to be is correct. Glad we’re on the old contract, new hirers don’t get much in comparison. Deere has a difficult time hiring (Waterloo site)

Attachments

• 16A6DB44-0C5D-4BC3-B0F9-1E2D30DEB6E1.jpeg
    16A6DB44-0C5D-4BC3-B0F9-1E2D30DEB6E1.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 13