New self-contained HD helmet cam!

A

admin

Just a heads up, you can get these cams (I have one and plan to get another) at a JohnDee.com supporter:
Sled Solutions

Better price too! Only $278 for the 1080p HD version.

-John

I guess these have been out a little longer than the article indicated. After I posted the link, I went to the dealer locator and instantly reckognized Sled Solutions as a JD supporter. They'll definitely be getting my business, especially at that price.

gsxgirl

Used a vholdr camera all last season (not the HD - wasn't out yet). Ease of use is unparalleled. The laser "sights" come in very handy. Rode with it in the rain, snow, sleet and it never flinched. Last year was my year to learn how to carve and it was in the snow just as much as my sled!

One complaint is that it wasn't the most Mac friendly. It writes to an avi file. In order for me to create movies on my Mac with my movie software, I had to convert every file over to mp4.

My other gripe was downloading straight from the camera literally took hours! Their support said that it was probably my computer and not their camera. So, I simply dropped the SD card into my handheld video camera and the movies would download in a matter of minutes. Never tried using the vholdr itself to download movies again.

I, also, hope that they fixed the wind problem with the microphone. All of us love to hear the sound of our sleds. The problem with the microphone was that it was so wind sensitive that as soon as you started moving, the noise of the wind completely drowned out the sound of the sled. I do know that they were working hard to fix this problem as it was a complaint of a lot of users.

I did buy cheap cell phone batteries off of ebay for $5 each. They held their charge better than the vholdr battery did. Worked great in cold weather and I could switch them out on the fly and continue all day long.

Overall, I would rate the vholdr about a 7 out of 10. There is no question they are solid as a rock and very weather resistant. I'm sure they have been able to work through some of those bugs and the HD is definitely going to get the stare down from me at the snow show on Friday!

gsxgirl

Used a vholdr camera all last season (not the HD - wasn't out yet). Ease of use is unparalleled. The laser "sights" come in very handy. Rode with it in the rain, snow, sleet and it never flinched. Last year was my year to learn how to carve and it was in the snow just as much as my sled!

One complaint is that it wasn't the most Mac friendly. It writes to an avi file. In order for me to create movies on my Mac with my movie software, I had to convert every file over to mp4.

My other gripe was downloading straight from the camera literally took hours! Their support said that it was probably my computer and not their camera. So, I simply dropped the SD card into my handheld video camera and the movies would download in a matter of minutes. Never tried using the vholdr itself to download movies again.

I, also, hope that they fixed the wind problem with the microphone. All of us love to hear the sound of our sleds. The problem with the microphone was that it was so wind sensitive that as soon as you started moving, the noise of the wind completely drowned out the sound of the sled. I do know that they were working hard to fix this problem as it was a complaint of a lot of users.

I did buy cheap cell phone batteries off of ebay for $5 each. They held their charge better than the vholdr battery did. Worked great in cold weather and I could switch them out on the fly and continue all day long.

Overall, I would rate the vholdr about a 7 out of 10. There is no question they are solid as a rock and very weather resistant. I'm sure they have been able to work through some of those bugs and the HD is definitely going to get the stare down from me at the snow show on Friday!

swanee

I'm pretty sure that the one that Paul (Sledsolutions) has for $278 is the 720P version. It looks like the 1080p is just coming out and may only be available in limited quantities. I talked to him two months ago and he said that there was quite a backorder on the 720P.

gsxgirl:

Thanks for the input - especially regarding the batteries. Where we go we have no electricity, so recharging anything can be quite an issue. So as long as I know i can take a few cheap extras, I should be alright.

swanee:

Sounds like I might have to order now - I definitely want the 1080p.

tkuss

I preordered the 1080p contour hd and just got it this week. It is a very nice camera. The 1080p is a really nice picture for the little camera. Also the 720p in 60 frames per second is a nice feature as it is so smooth to watch. Haven't played around to much with yet. Be sure to check out Go Pro new 1080p camera as well.

fatdaddy

Thanks Eric,

that was taken on my first trip to Togwotee, WY back in 05. What a great place to ride even on a short track

tkuss

I paid about 320$ for mine I think. Whatever they are on all the websites, I didnt get a deal or anything on it. Here is a video I took, this is in 720p at 60fps. It looks way better on my computer. I may play around with it a bit more today and upload a few more videos.

A

admin

swanee-

The cam Paul at Sled Solutions is selling is the High Def version. It shoots at 30 frames per second in high def (1080p) and 60 frames per second in 720p mode.

I pre-ordered one from V-Hold this past spring and it arrived in early summer. It is impressive enough that I want to get another so that we can capture as much of the fun this winter as possible.

As mentioned, the main problem with these cams is the wind noise. I plan to put a little piece of foam over the mic inlet to try and remedy that issue. Otherwise a good camera and easy to use.

-John

S

skylar

Specifications:
Battery type: Removable/Rechargeable Lithium Ion (about 2 hrs recording time)
Size: 3” length x 1.5” width x 2” height, weighs 4 ozs.
Video: 1280 x 720 pixels in HD mode
Frame rate: 30 fps in HD/ 60 fps in SD
Memory: Record to included 2MB microSD flash card
Lens: 1/4” 4g (135° viewing angle)

LIMITED WARRANTY
Twenty20, Inc. warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanshipfor 180 days from purchase.

Subject to the terms of the TWENTY20, INC. LIMITED WARRANTY, available on www.vholdr.com.

Whats New??
Better Video and Bigger Lens
ContourHD helmet camera has two video settings instead of just one. High Definition records video at 30 frames per second while the High Action SD setting records helmet cam video at 60 frames per second. In HD the new wide angle lens (135 degrees) allows you to capture the entire scene.

Faster
Boot-up is now UNDER 5 SEC and download speeds have been cut in half. Transferring gigabytes of HD Helmet Cam videos only takes a few minutes.

More Memory
ContourHD is compatible with up to 16GB MicroSD memory cards. Now you can record up to 8 hours of HD or 16 hours of SD helmet camera video.

New Microphone
We have included a new microphone to reduce the wind noise and bring out the rich sounds of the action. Our wearable camcorder is better tuned for sounds of the action.

Share HD
The Easy Edit software and VholdR.com have been given an HD and widescreen face lift. Upgrading ContourHD to the H.264 video codec also makes your videos more edit friendly.

A

admin

Yep, that's it. That is the Contour HD. The high def version from V-HoldR.

Like I say, I already have one and that is it.

-John