New Sled Hood Designs... Not a Fan of... Are you?

j1cousin

Call me old school, but I prefer the hoods on sleds where you undo the 2 latches and the hood swings open. Alot of the new sleds hoods come off in several different pieces, I dont know about you, but I sure as **** dont care to be fooling around taking off a bunch of pieces to get to the belt or even the oil fill. I dont understand how the prices of sleds continue to rise and now these sleds seem to be getting made cheaper. The pieces dont line up half the time now on the hoods and they dont look as sleek as they once did. Just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

willey

I personally love having multiple panels that are removeable to access the internals. Makes it easier than having that dam hood slam down on you when you least expect it! Cheaper to replace a panel than a whole hood with paint and decals and all the other crap attached to them.

j1cousin

You have a very valid points as far as the hood slamming down and being cheaper to fix a panel then a whole hood, but overall I think they look that much cheaper now because of the different panels and the plastic pieces instead of the all fiber glass hood.

I personally love having multiple panels that are removeable to access the internals. Makes it easier than having that dam hood slam down on you when you least expect it! Cheaper to replace a panel than a whole hood with paint and decals and all the other crap attached to them.

miked

Access sure was easier back in the day, IMO. Ski Doo has reasonably easy panels nowadays, but I CANNOT STAND the new Yamahas. My wife's Vector is miserable.

cooksend

Total fan of the new hood set up. Think about it this way! If you need to work on top of the motor it typically ends up at the dealership. Most items a handy consumer can work on are clutches, the chaincase and brakes! These are easily accessed without having to get around the old belly pan!

D

Deleted member 10829

I loved the old hood that opened up too and made everything easy to work on, but you couldn't have the rider forward position of today with that design, and I like the rider forward position more.

L

lenny

with all the tech and performance comes new design. Rider forward is a huge factor. My old Mtn max, I can have the entire motor out in literally 45 mins but than again I ride a bloated, ugly, stinky tinker toy!

ezra

I cant stand the new sleds .1 of the biggest reasons Im am sticking with my 11 M is it still has a hood.
from the first time in 04 I had to help tighten a y pipe in the woods on a rev I have hated every thing about the bs panel systems.
they do make a deal for the pro that at least U can hinge the top hood panel.
I also remember playing a drinking game where U had to do a shot every time a rev panel poped off in a vid we were watching. we were all loaded after. cant remember the vid

snobuilder

I love the duz twist fasteners on all my yamahas. the more the better. i can expose everything mechanical up front on the nytro in about 5 minutes by removing all 5 panels. for most work you only need to remove the top 3 panels that come off in a minute.
Not having the clutch and gearcase stuck down in and covered by the bellypan is great. ALOT easier to work on IMO...that is if it ever breaks....mostly just take the panels off to marvel at the fit and finish.

doospunk

I cant stand the new sleds .1 of the biggest reasons Im am sticking with my 11 M is it still has a hood.
from the first time in 04 I had to help tighten a y pipe in the woods on a rev I have hated every thing about the bs panel systems.
they do make a deal for the pro that at least U can hinge the top hood panel.
I also remember playing a drinking game where U had to do a shot every time a rev panel poped off in a vid we were watching. we were all loaded after. cant remember the vid

So your not going to upgrade to the latest/greatest tech because of the side panels??? Saddle up, or you will be shopping junk yards for parts before you know it! :)

Cat600

Least with the newer side panels it's way easier to get belts off/on.

Only gripe I have about the newer panels is when you just want to open them up to look inside, they magically fall off and mess up the paint/plastic.

whitedust

Total fan of the new hood set up. Think about it this way! If you need to work on top of the motor it typically ends up at the dealership. Most items a handy consumer can work on are clutches, the chaincase and brakes! These are easily accessed without having to get around the old belly pan!

Exactly 100% correct of new rider forward sleds no reason at all removing hood from Apex nothing to do from top unless tearing in big time.

ezra

all this side panel belt talk .
I have been able to access clutches from a removable side panel and still have a 1 piece hood from 05 up

renegade

I'm not partial either way, but I don't like how easy they are to steal when parked for the night or just for lunch!

whitedust

ever adjust the headlight on a older apex ?

Nope had Chad do it for me along with new mirrors had lunch at Ramada then went riding back to Phelps. Never had to touch headlight again. Not sure there is adjustment but whatever he did worked very well for brights.:)

samc

The panels on the new sleds do make is a little more difficult to work on things but it is future. I complain every time I have to do any work to my Polaris or the wife’s Ski Doo because of it but I do like the styling of the new sleds. The daughters ZR 700 and the sons Ovation 340 are a lot nicer to do any work on if needed.