New trailer question

2003polaris

I'm ordering a new NEO 7x22 trailer soon, I want front ramp door on driver side. What side should entry door go on, does anyone have it on the same side as front ramp? Just wanted some input? Thanks

ezra

I'm ordering a new NEO 7x22 trailer soon, I want front ramp door on driver side. What side should entry door go on, does anyone have it on the same side as front ramp? Just wanted some input? Thanks
what ever side your tow rig gas cap is on is the side u want the side door

just_ride

I have the ramp door and entry door on the same side
I like it that way as when I load the sleds I'm not running into entry door
both my doors are on the curb side, works best for loading around my yard

garyl62

I would put the entry door on the same side as the ramp door. NEO will provide a "filler" piece for the door if you have it opposite of the ramp so your skis don't hook on the door when you're driving the sleds in from the front but IMO it's a lot better to have the door on the ramp side so you'll never catch it with the sled. Sounds like you're ordering the same set-up I have on my 7X22 (here's a pic below). I needed the door on the street side because of where I park the trailer in the shop so I could get in it, I didn't order any fuel doors either. Figure you never know where the sleds will be sitting exactly and with the short hoses on the pumps now chances are you won't reach the sled anyway. Besides, you'll only fill them up once a trip in the trailer if that so I saved the money and just fill them with cans before I leave, or plan to hit a station when we arrive.

DSC05489.jpg DSC05490.jpg DSC05488.jpg

eagle1

Have both my doors on road side also. Works fine for me based on where I park.

Just realize if loading 3 sleds the second may partially block the side door. No big deal, usually climb over it.
Did put gas doors on curb side but rarely use them. And if you can't line them up at the pump you probably shouldn't be driving a trailer anyways.

2003polaris

Do you like the trailer? Do you have spring or torsion axle? Can you open your tailgate when trailer is hooked up. I've had two R&R trailers and I'm done with them. Is your truck a 5.3 liter, I have a 2012 Silverado. Do you use tow/haul mode when pulling this. Thanks for your input.

campsob

I have ramp door & side entry on right side. Works for me. A real plus having a side hinged door, wouldn't have it any other way. Beats opening the ramp doors evenen with torsion springs.

indy_500

If it helps I've towed a 8.5'x27' aluminum 4 place enclosed twice up to houghton and back (500 miles round trip) with my 05 silverado 5.3 H.O. and only 3.42 gears with no issues, I didn't use tow haul either. Let it sit in 4th gear with torque converter unlocked and towed like a dream.

ezra

Curb side makes more sense. Gas door hatches on road side.
I thought the same thing on my first enclosed untill most of the places I towed to and parked in the street were plowed with snow higher than the door .
NEO will mount drive out door on any side u want ones again I say remember if unloading on a street and plan on staying parked there remember hard to unload from a ramp on to a plowed bank. same goes for some of the western turn out parking spots .
if u keep the tool box and led TV bar entertanment combo box in the fr U will just back out most of the time any way

polarisrider1

I thought the same thing on my first enclosed untill most of the places I towed to and parked in the street were plowed with snow higher than the door .
NEO will mount drive out door on any side u want ones again I say remember if unloading on a street and plan on staying parked there remember hard to unload from a ramp on to a plowed bank. same goes for some of the western turn out parking spots .
if u keep the tool box and led TV bar entertanment combo box in the fr U will just back out most of the time any way

Good points.

racerx

^^^Exactly what I thought when I purchased my 7x27 with the ramp on the drivers side. Thought I would regret it but in use I was glad it was on that side exactly for the reasons ezra mentioned. Off course it did not work where I parked it at home at the side of the house but I just had to pull it up a bit and I could go right into the garage.

as for the entry door I liked it on the curbside since sometimes we had to go in and out that door at times other than unloading and felt safer going out on that side. Of course taking the sleds off the drivers side could be in traffic but with the ramp down and sleds coming out it is more noticeable than just a body coming out a side door, besides the last couple years I had that trailer we started using the front as the loading ramp and drove out the back, so ramp down time was not very long and was never in a blind to traffic condition. My trailer did not have fuel doors which I wish I had at first, after the first year I was glad I did not have them as I would had to load the same way everytime which I soon found out the sleds were loaded differently almost every time.

Last edited:

harski

All fair points and it just comes down to your personal preference. I prefer the fuel doors on the drivers side in order to line up the doors to the pumps. When I originally ordered my trailer I wanted the front ramp on the road side for curb parking unloading or loading. It ended up coming on the curb side instead (GRRR). Anyway, I've gotten used to it on the curb side and it actually works better in my driveway for getting other vehicles in and out.

Again, all in all it comes down to how often you used these access points to get the most out of them. The only other suggestion I would have is to go over your paper work multiple times to make sure you have everything you want on it. Don't assume it's coming with something or the door will be where you've discussed with the salesperson. That was my downfall when ordering my trailer. Oh yea, I have an R&R by the way and hate it! :)

Harski

just_ride

All fair points and it just comes down to your personal preference. I prefer the fuel doors on the drivers side in order to line up the doors to the pumps. When I originally ordered my trailer I wanted the front ramp on the road side for curb parking unloading or loading. It ended up coming on the curb side instead (GRRR). Anyway, I've gotten used to it on the curb side and it actually works better in my driveway for getting other vehicles in and out.

Again, all in all it comes down to how often you used these access points to get the most out of them. The only other suggestion I would have is to go over your paper work multiple times to make sure you have everything you want on it. Don't assume it's coming with something or the door will be where you've discussed with the salesperson. That was my downfall when ordering my trailer. Oh yea, I have an R&R by the way and hate it! :)

Harski

harski is correct it come down to personal preference. where you will be loading and unloading.
many good points

Cat600

When I ordered my new trailer a few years ago, I got it on what made sense to me. Got the ramp on the drivers side so I don't drive the sled through the slush and salt every time I load/unload. Keeps the sled and trailer cleaner. Got the side door on the passenger side because it's easier to clean off my boots for same reason, plus, if I break down and need to fix something on the highway I don't exit the trailer directly into oncoming traffic.

2003polaris

Got my info on new trailer , did you get 16 or 24 on walls. I think that I'm going with the 7x22 flat top with 12'' more taller. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Message for garyl62.

garyl62

I got the standard height walls which came with 24" OC. If you go with the "John's Trailers Limited" it's a round top and I think they are 16" OC walls. Gives you that little extra head room, they are dirt cheap but "limited" also stood for available options too so I went with the flat top. Not sure what you'll gain with an extra 12". An extra 6" may be nice. I think ezra has an extra 12" (no side comments here guys :) ) so maybe he could comment about that. Don't recall what it costs for that option but if you're not camping in it, not sure if its worth it. Which axle did you decide on?

2003polaris

I'm going with torsion axle, 7x22 round top , cabinet , side vents. $6790.00. Not sure yet about extra height or side walls. May wait for snow show at martin speedway, it's by my house. I will send you a picture when I get it. Thanks