New truck

Sweep800

So my cabin is only about 80 miles from home and we have good snow here most of the time also so I enjoy a weekend spin around here also. We used to leave them up there most of the time but don’t have a garage so we just parked them behind the cabin. But then weekends got busier with kid events and it might be 3-4 weeks between trips up and then I wouldn’t even be able to take a quick spin around here.
Gotcha, makes sense! I’m 5 hrs away from mine. Brought them home one time and decided riding muddy corn fields around here wasn’t ideal so they stay there. (Western suburbs of Chirac)

1fujifilm

Just picked up a 2023 Silverado LTZ with a 6.2L and the heavy duty trailer package. Think this will pull my 2 place just fine. Didn’t get the Duramax with the possibility of changing the oil pump belt at 150000 miles. Also have a 2008 Silverado with the 6.0 VortexMax with 250000 miles with zero engine work done. Still runs like a champ. Regular oil changes along with regular service keeps these LS motors running forever. Also frequent runs through a car wash for the under body flush.
A fun fact is the 23 3.0 Diesel is now bumped to 200k for the oil pump belt inspection and change.

wfd123

A fun fact is the 23 3.0 Diesel is now bumped to 200k for the oil pump belt inspection and change.
I read that. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on a diesel. Still, insane power with the 6.2. Trailer package bumps the rear end gearing to 3.42 instead of standard 3.23. Been averaging low to mid 20’s for mpg on hwy. GM has this dialed in.

old abe

Good luck fuji! My daughter in laws 3.0 liter diesel is now just over 2 years old, and has spent over half of that time in the dealers shop not able to be used. Nothing but raw BS from GM representatives. I can't list all the different things they have tried in order to fix the problems. They now have a attorney working to replace it with a new one, and compensation for all the time it's been out of service. Bad things can happen, do not own one of these after the warranty has expired.

ICT Sledder

I've had a F350 7.3 for a little over two years and 45K. Love it! Bought it for a three place inline Legend, a Ranger bass boat, and a future truck camper (will come close to maxing out payload). Don't need the diesel, the maintenance costs/landmines, or the gelling issues living in NE MN. If I was pulling a huge fifth wheel long distances I'd probably put up with all the diesel downsides, but the 7.3 is perfect for my use case. Ordered mine just how I wanted it - King Ranch Ultimate Tremor. Would probably re-order the exact same truck today.

elf

I've had a F350 7.3 for a little over two years and 45K. Love it! Bought it for a three place inline Legend, a Ranger bass boat, and a future truck camper (will come close to maxing out payload). Don't need the diesel, the maintenance costs/landmines, or the gelling issues living in NE MN. If I was pulling a huge fifth wheel long distances I'd probably put up with all the diesel downsides, but the 7.3 is perfect for my use case. Ordered mine just how I wanted it - King Ranch Ultimate Tremor. Would probably re-order the exact same truck today.
That would be a sweet truck. I gave some thought to the tremor package but I barely get into my garage right now and taller tires would make it awfully tight. I told my wife as soon as we move, hopefully next year, the next place will need a taller garage door and then I'll throw on some 35's.

ICT Sledder

That would be a sweet truck. I gave some thought to the tremor package but I barely get into my garage right now and taller tires would make it awfully tight. I told my wife as soon as we move, hopefully next year, the next place will need a taller garage door and then I'll throw on some 35's.
Yeah it is pretty iffy on 7' tall garage doors (the norm). Our old house was 7' doors and it was so tight I had concerns that things like tire pressure variances or a different set of tires (but OEM profile) could cause contact. Our new house has 8' tall garage doors, so I'm a happy man.

I'm honestly not sure I'd get the Tremor option again. Looking back, it seems like a lot of money for the content it adds.

Tuck

I have not driven the 7.3 yet to compare with the 6.2. I like what I have read about it but no real world experience feedback from anyone I know. Curious if you came from a 6.2 and have any first hand impressions between the 2.

old abe

I have not driven the 7.3 yet to compare with the 6.2. I like what I have read about it but no real world experience feedback from anyone I know. Curious if you came from a 6.2 and have any first hand impressions between the 2.
If comparing to a 6.2 GM, there is no comparison. The 7.3 power and torque is over whelming compared to the 6.2, at a much lower RPM. The same goes for the 6.6 GM truck engine. Not enough CID to compete.

elf

If you are referring to the Ford 6.2 I did not have that before moving to this truck. I did see a report on the difference between the two engines though and the 7.3 reaches its max torque rating at a lot lower RPM than the 6.2. In fact the 7.3 is putting out more torque at something like 1800 RPM's than the 6.2 does at its peak. It has a real flat torque curve.
Now we just have to find a 5th wheel that we like and we can really see how it tows!

ICT Sledder

I have no long-term experience with the Ford 6.2. The 7.3 was only like another $2K or $3K, and was required anyway with how I spec-ed the truck. I doubt I would have went with the Ford if the old 6.2 was the only gas option.

I'm historically a GM guy, actually, but in this case I drove them all, built up a spreadsheet, and played with online configurators and the 350 with the 7.3 won out for me. Seems like Ford is the only one of the three that understands there is a sizable spot in the market between the somewhat wheezy, high-revving 1/2 ton carry-over V8's, and the super expensive, maintenance-intensive diesels with their insane repair bills. Unless you're towing near weight limits, and long distances including hills/mountains, a more powerful and higher displacement gas engine like the 7.3 is a perfect medium in any number of ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: elf

old abe

I have no long-term experience with the Ford 6.2. The 7.3 was only like another $2K or $3K, and was required anyway with how I spec-ed the truck. I doubt I would have went with the Ford if the old 6.2 was the only gas option.

I'm historically a GM guy, actually, but in this case I drove them all, built up a spreadsheet, and played with online configurators and the 350 with the 7.3 won out for me. Seems like Ford is the only one of the three that understands there is a sizable spot in the market between the somewhat wheezy, high-revving 1/2 ton carry-over V8's, and the super expensive, maintenance-intensive diesels with their insane repair bills. Unless you're towing near weight limits, and long distances including hills/mountains, a more powerful and higher displacement gas engine like the 7.3 is a perfect medium in any number of ways.
Yeah, well, the ability to spec out a Ford truck to fit your needs compared to the other brands is beyond belief. Ford has the truck market for good reason. Chevy is a distant 2nd, GMC, and RAM bring up the rear on the ability to properly spec.. A properly spec truck for the application, is a huge advantage in many ways.

ICT Sledder

Yeah, well, the ability to spec out a Ford truck to fit your needs compared to the other brands is beyond belief. Ford has the truck market for good reason. Chevy is a distant 2nd, GMC, and RAM bring up the rear on the ability to properly spec.. A properly spec truck for the application, is a huge advantage in many ways.
I'd agree. Ford still allows you to really individualize your order, like used to be the norm for all automakers. Ford still bundles some options in annoying ways though. It's not 100% a la carte.

Ram isn't too bad about it either. GM is another story - nothing but seemingly goofy packages that have to be ordered in big lots.

Tuck

well found a 2020 F250 with the 7.3 gasser to go look at and take for spin this weekend. Curious to see what it is like behind the wheel. Hope the sales person has a since of adventure lol. Not sure I want to spend the $ to order one so looking at some slightly used ones to start with.

Reactions: elf

ICT Sledder

well found a 2020 F250 with the 7.3 gasser to go look at and take for spin this weekend. Curious to see what it is like behind the wheel. Hope the sales person has a since of adventure lol. Not sure I want to spend the $ to order one so looking at some slightly used ones to start with.
I would assume ordering is probably still your best bet. Used prices on them still pretty strong, and new ones on the lot the dealers still think it is 2021 or 2022. Should be able to find a dealer locally who would do X Plan for you, which is more or less invoice. You can get X Plan by joining any number of groups. Think I did an annual membership to the Mustang Club of America for $20 or $30, a couple of years ago when I ordered.

If nothing else, I know I hear of this dealer still playing ball, and fairly:

If you're in MN, WI, IL, or obviously IA, this dealer isn't THAT far away.

old abe

As a rule, generally an F350 will ride better than a F250 when empty. Yeah, well, I know that's hard to believe, but that has been the way it works. It has to due with the way the springs are configured. Drive both before purchase.

elf

I would assume ordering is probably still your best bet. Used prices on them still pretty strong, and new ones on the lot the dealers still think it is 2021 or 2022. Should be able to find a dealer locally who would do X Plan for you, which is more or less invoice. You can get X Plan by joining any number of groups. Think I did an annual membership to the Mustang Club of America for $20 or $30, a couple of years ago when I ordered.

If nothing else, I know I hear of this dealer still playing ball, and fairly:

If you're in MN, WI, IL, or obviously IA, this dealer isn't THAT far away.
I don't know if you could even still order one. When I picked mine up the dealer said they were unable to order anymore as Ford had cut off orders. I also know the company I work for buy's several thousand super duty cab/chassis models every year and the order window is closed for us also.
When i was shopping I had one dealer tell me they couldn't order again until May as they had used up their allocation while the dealer I purchased from said they had no issue ordering. And while they told me it would be 6-12 months in reality it was just over 2 months. I did some googling and when the order bank opened in Mid October they had 50K trucks on order by the end of Oct and 245000 on order by the end of Dec. And I think their super duty capacity is about 280-300K/year.

snomoman

Curious what experiences people have had with the Toyota tundra, it had a 5.7 V8 with 381 hp, but in 2022 they went to the V6 twin turbo
which supposedly has even more horsepower