New trucks

nhra1000

Anybody order a truck recently? Wondering if dealers are working with you at all on pricing? If anybody here sells new trucks...GMC or Ram..let me know if your interested in quoting. Thanks.

Yes I know its the worst possible time in the history of the world to order one....
yes I know i'm going to wait awhile...
yes I know prices are stupid...
yes I know I should have got one BEFORE the pandemic set in...
yes I know GMC sucks...
yes I know Ram sucks...
yes I know used ones are bringing as much as new ones....but I'm gonna need something in the future so I have to start the process...

indy_500

Bought a 21 f150 around Halloween. Nobody is offering chit for $$$ off msrp. Trade or resale of the old one is high though to cover the difference.

eagle1

I ordered in June delivered end of October from Les Stump $3200 off MSRP plus 1k from Ford.
If buying off lot than probably pay sticker.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a new one last spring. I think they call the new pricing, "take it or leave it". I got a good trade-in value, so that helps. This Build Back Better thing is gonna have us all driving around like the Flintstones by 2024.

nhra1000

I'm definitely ordering....used they want as much for 3-4 year old stuff than what I can order for. I've got a couple dealers offering $500 off msrp plus rebates (if any) at time of pick but would like to get a touch more if possible....There isn't gonna be any rebates I'm quite sure....I have a newer weekend car I'm gonna sell at an over inflated price so will apply that to this and it should balance out...

wiscrev

If you are a veteran, make sure you tell dealer. It might get you a few bucks off and some have vet incentives.

Hoosier

I know someone who recently bought a new chevy crew cab. Think he basically got a little off sticker price plus some small rebates they put on the 4 banger turbo. I have no idea if that's a good engine but it seems like that's what's in stock right now.

indy_500

I ordered in June delivered end of October from Les Stump $3200 off MSRP plus 1k from Ford.
If buying off lot than probably pay sticker.
That sounds normal for June pricing, not how it is currently unfortunately. You got lucky!

m8man

I ordered and bought a 22 Tahoe. Paid MSRP, many dealers adding 5 to 10k over MSRP. Another shady thing I found after talking with various dealers is if I have a supplier discount they are not giving the full discount, they will try to keep some.

Good luck and I was told shortages could last another 24 mos but who knows

M8man

m8man

By the way I had a 2018 Tahoe that I bought in 2019. I put 50k on it in 2 years and they paid me 7500 more on trade than I paid for it. I’m a numbers guy so I figured used prices up around 30%, new up around 10%, I wanted to get back into a warranty again. I have a 2020 Silverado 2500, was in for an oil change and I can get what I paid for it new on trade!

1fujifilm

Anybody order a truck recently? Wondering if dealers are working with you at all on pricing? If anybody here sells new trucks...GMC or Ram..let me know if your interested in quoting. Thanks.

Yes I know its the worst possible time in the history of the world to order one....
yes I know i'm going to wait awhile...
yes I know prices are stupid...
yes I know I should have got one BEFORE the pandemic set in...
yes I know GMC sucks...
yes I know Ram sucks...
yes I know used ones are bringing as much as new ones....but I'm gonna need something in the future so I have to start the process...
The key is; if you have a truck you can sell at an inflated price (don't trade, used trucks sell fast), then you can buy an inflated cost new truck.
Demand 5% off MSRP plus all incentives.

Bear

chunk06

I'm in the same boat wanting to buy a new truck. Vehicle shopping in normal times makes me want to puke so I don't know how I will handle it. I want to unload my gas HD truck while it's worth good money though.

szotty

Got offered close to what I paid for my 2020 2500 hd crew custom with 20k miles so would have been 3000 to trade up to a new 22 so I ordered one in august. Finally showed up in mid January. Was msrp -500 but I sold my old one to carmax on day before thanksgiving for 53k and my new one was 53,500 out the door. So new is way better than finding anything used just watch the dealers not playing games and adding. But expect 4-6 month wait

Hoosier

I've been starting to research trucks. I have nothing of value to trade or sell so that doesn't help. Reading forums about different brands and options - it's not uncommon to see posts from say 2019 talking about pricing and seeing people get $8k-$10K off MSRP. Wasn't that long ago. Doesn't really help with this discussion but wondering how long it will be until prices come down a bit. My crystal ball is in the shop and I can't get parts for it, so I have no idea.

mezz

This past Sept, I was put into the position of put more $ into my 11 y/o truck or replace it. Believe me, after not having payments for 6 yrs I was reluctant but knew I would be faced with more high $ repairs not too far down the road. I was lucky to find 1 brand new truck on the lot, 1. Looked at Certified pre-owned & the price difference between the new & the used were so marginal it wasn't worth it to me to go pre-owned. Traded in the 2010 Silverado Crew Cab which I was given a real good price on even considering the repair it needed & purchased the last new Silverado Crew Cab on the lot. The damn thing has a 2.7L Turbo 4 cyl with an 8 speed trans. I am amazed at the performance of this thing, it is extremely suprising, 0-83 in no time, it would dust my 5.3 liter truck or my 5 liter Camaro. Moreover, mileage around town this fall was 19mpg. In 4 wheel so far this winter, 13-14 mpg around town & thats with a good 8 minute warm up time. I was able to get $ off the msrp, rebates as well as good $ on the trade not to mention Rewards $ for purchasing the truck which went to accessories. Despite the fact that I have a truck with half a motor, I am good with it & I didn't have to pay huge $$$ for it.

Last edited:

tjmaxx

I just bought a new ram off the lot December 20th. It took a lot of shopping but I found the deal I was looking for. 2022 ram laramie ecodiesel crew cab 4x4. Sticker was $65k and dealer had it marked up to $69k. I negotiated the price on the truck before negotiation on the trade. I got them to $57,500 out the door with taxes etc... and they threw in spray in bedliner, window tints and a full tank of fuel. I also got $4500 more for my trade in than I paid for it 3 years ago. I was extremely happy. Again I shopped at probably 10 different dealerships most didn't want to deal at all on their trucks new or used and trade in varied as much as $10k between dealers. It definitely pays to shop around

I bought a new 2022 Ram Limited in November, sticker was just over $70k. Dealer had no market adjustments which is nice as those have become common place lately. After a few rebates and a first responder discount out the door was $65,500. I offered $64k and to my surprise they accepted. I usually never trade but they gave me $41k which is what I paid for my Ford Lariat 3 years ago. It helped that my Ford was mostly paid off.

New trucks are expensive but just like the housing market you make up the difference if you have one to sell at the higher value. It then becomes a wash.

I had not intention of buying as I really like my Ford and had a 3.5 ecoboost which is a beast of an engine. Unfortunately mine was plagued with problems, in 21000 miles of my ownership I was on my second timing chain and third set of cam phasers. I just did not trust the truck anymore and although all repairs so far were covered under the power train warranty I figured at some point they would stop covering the issues. Never good when the shop knows you by name and recognizes your truck as well. I really miss that truck as it had the special edition package and the black leather seats were outlined in red.

This new truck does have the e Torque and tows my 3 place inline trailer very well. It also has the factory air ride system and I upgraded the tires to E rated tires better suited for towing.

I bought a 2020 Chev Silverado 4x4 Duramax LTZ in Feb of 2020, just before pandemic hit here. Sticker was over $75K and with all the discounts they were offering I bought for $62k. Don't drive it much or at all in the winter but this past spring had it in for its 1st oil change. Dealership had zero new vehicles to sell and a handful of used overpriced high mileage ones. Sales manager asked if I would sell them mine w/5,000 miles. I told him to shoot me a number and within several hours he offered me $82k. I really like the truck and plan on keeping for a long, long time and knowing the current restraints I passed that deal up. Still sitting since that day with 0 more miles driven. Should have sold it, I guess.

pclark

I bought a 2020 Chev Silverado 4x4 Duramax LTZ in Feb of 2020, just before pandemic hit here. Sticker was over $75K and with all the discounts they were offering I bought for $62k. Don't drive it much or at all in the winter but this past spring had it in for its 1st oil change. Dealership had zero new vehicles to sell and a handful of used overpriced high mileage ones. Sales manager asked if I would sell them mine w/5,000 miles. I told him to shoot me a number and within several hours he offered me $82k. I really like the truck and plan on keeping for a long, long time and knowing the current restraints I passed that deal up. Still sitting since that day with 0 more miles driven. Should have sold it, I guess.
That is crazy but I have no doubt that you could have cashed out with $82K. I believe that this house of cards will come crashing down after the interest rate hikes planned for this year. As for paying this much for used vehicles, used boats, used anything it is unrealistic for most people. The inflated price of real estate is also something that has to find a way to work itself out. I don't think it feasable for young people to ever realize home ownership with a new or newer car in the driveway if things stay as they are. If you already own property then you are in a good place, if not, you just have to wait until the cycle breaks.

nhra1000

I've been starting to research trucks. I have nothing of value to trade or sell so that doesn't help. Reading forums about different brands and options - it's not uncommon to see posts from say 2019 talking about pricing and seeing people get $8k-$10K off MSRP. Wasn't that long ago. Doesn't really help with this discussion but wondering how long it will be until prices come down a bit. My crystal ball is in the shop and I can't get parts for it, so I have no idea.
My theory is...car manufacturers make and sell cars to dealers....dealers sell them to consumers....that hasn't happened in a long time with any sort of volume.......at what point do they start flooding these dealers with cars? Ive heard and seen pics of 1000's of cars and trucks sitting in empty lots waiting for chips and such...what happens when these hit? I realize it won't happen overnight but at some point it has to happen doesnt it? The only caveat to this is if the manufacturers skip a production year which I don't see happening...