New trucks

indy_500

The inflated price of real estate is also something that has to find a way to work itself out. I don't think it feasable for young people to ever realize home ownership with a new or newer car in the driveway if things stay as they are. If you already own property then you are in a good place, if not, you just have to wait until the cycle breaks.
Definitely not going to happen if schools continue to push the college education agenda amongst every last student. At 26 I have a almost brand new home with a brand new explorer, brand new f150, and 4 sleds in the garage. It is possible, it’s all about trying to stay 1 step ahead of the game, even if the game continues to get more expensive…

renegade600

Bought a new Ram Power Wagon end of November....I get fleet pricing as we buy so many trucks at work, was still expensive.

old abe

I bought a new 2022 Ram Limited in November, sticker was just over $70k. Dealer had no market adjustments which is nice as those have become common place lately. After a few rebates and a first responder discount out the door was $65,500. I offered $64k and to my surprise they accepted. I usually never trade but they gave me $41k which is what I paid for my Ford Lariat 3 years ago. It helped that my Ford was mostly paid off.

New trucks are expensive but just like the housing market you make up the difference if you have one to sell at the higher value. It then becomes a wash.

I had not intention of buying as I really like my Ford and had a 3.5 ecoboost which is a beast of an engine. Unfortunately mine was plagued with problems, in 21000 miles of my ownership I was on my second timing chain and third set of cam phasers. I just did not trust the truck anymore and although all repairs so far were covered under the power train warranty I figured at some point they would stop covering the issues. Never good when the shop knows you by name and recognizes your truck as well. I really miss that truck as it had the special edition package and the black leather seats were outlined in red.

This new truck does have the e Torque and tows my 3 place inline trailer very well. It also has the factory air ride system and I upgraded the tires to E rated tires better suited for towing.
Whoa, E tires just for towing, not for payload??? Rough ride, eh.

pclark

Definitely not going to happen if schools continue to push the college education agenda amongst every last student. At 26 I have a almost brand new home with a brand new explorer, brand new f150, and 4 sleds in the garage. It is possible, it’s all about trying to stay 1 step ahead of the game, even if the game continues to get more expensive…
I totally agree with you Indy500, These young people would be smart to enter the trades, very good money to be made there. School wasn't my bag, but life has been very good to me and the experiences I've had and relationships created are invaluable. Congrats to you at 26, you are one step ahead of the game! When we hire we look for people like you because you have something not everyone does, vision!

Whoa, E tires just for towing, not for payload??? Rough ride, eh.
Just a normal 10 ply, they ride really nice. Not noisy at all that I notice. When towing the truck feels much more stable but that could also be due to the air ride as well. They have a taller side wall than came stock on the truck.

kirk600

I have been looking for a new gas 2500hd crew cab for my next truck. None on the lots around here(in transit) but I have noticed that the small town dealer(s) price is msrp plus $3-5000 on either gmc or Chevrolet around here SW Michigan

600_RMK_144

Seems a good deal in this new world is getting MSRP w/o markup. I'd never even step foot in a dealership that is doing market adjustments over MSRP. That is just shady as shit and taking advantage of the situation IMO. Just bought a new Explorer for the wife in November. Zero negotiating on price, there were three on the lot and two were pending sales. The dealers are at an advantage like never before.... If you don't want to pay the price, the next customer that walks thru the door will. Ford was offering $1500 off, so we took that and figured it wasn't going to get better any time soon. Made me want to barf to pay what we did. Soooooooooo hard to do when I got 20% off MSRP on my 2019 F150 just a couple of years ago. But it is what it is at this point. :(

indy_500

Seems a good deal in this new world is getting MSRP w/o markup. I'd never even step foot in a dealership that is doing market adjustments over MSRP. That is just shady as shit and taking advantage of the situation IMO. Just bought a new Explorer for the wife in November. Zero negotiating on price, there were three on the lot and two were pending sales. The dealers are at an advantage like never before.... If you don't want to pay the price, the next customer that walks thru the door will. Ford was offering $1500 off, so we took that and figured it wasn't going to get better any time soon. Made me want to barf to pay what we did. Soooooooooo hard to do when I got 20% off MSRP on my 2019 F150 just a couple of years ago. But it is what it is at this point. :(
Agree, sounds similar to my situation except opposite vehicles. Picked up the explorer last March before prices went really crazy. It was a buyback with 1000 miles on it due to a touch screen issue. Rolled over 10k miles a month ago, paid $34k for it msrp is $49k (fully loaded model), happy with it so far. My new 21 F150 I picked up over Halloween had 4000 miles on it and was $3k off msrp, not impressive but I got it from Lenz who gave me $2-3k more on trade than any Ford dealer would. Plus the model was exactly what I wanted and couldn’t find it brand brand new. With tax savings I got on trade what I paid for my old truck 4 years ago…

mezz

I totally agree with you Indy500, These young people would be smart to enter the trades, very good money to be made there. School wasn't my bag, but life has been very good to me and the experiences I've had and relationships created are invaluable. Congrats to you at 26, you are one step ahead of the game! When we hire we look for people like you because you have something not everyone does, vision!
More importantly, work ethic. Indy has had that from day one. Too many out there today that simply do not have a clue what work ethic is. As most of us know, it's not in a text book.

kirk600

Ditch the new truck idea and just buy a place in the Yoop. Best decision I ever made and theres no more bad mpg white knuckle towing the 4 placer and gear 6 hours to ride.
That's what I was looking into, but it's cheaper to rent for now. Plus I tow a car trailer in the warmer months

old abe

Just a normal 10 ply, they ride really nice. Not noisy at all that I notice. When towing the truck feels much more stable but that could also be due to the air ride as well. They have a taller side wall than came stock on the truck.
Okay, your truck has to be a HD in order for it to be equipped from the factory with E tires? I absolutely agree on the LT tires over the P series on light duty pickups for towing. Yes the difference is in the sidewall. No more side sway. But for towing, the E seems pretty much overkill, as the D will do just as well. Most likely is due to the way the truck was spec'd out. My towing trucks always had LT tires. Happy "trails".

ICT Sledder

Bought a new truck about a year ago. A Ford F350 King Ranch Tremor 7.3. Ordered it in December of 2020; delivered in February 2021. Sticker of $75K; paid $67.5K. So about 10% off. Not great historically, but great in early 2021, and basically unobtainable as of today. That didn't include tags and taxes as I bought out of state, so I paid another $6K to my local tag office about a month later. Thought I did pretty well, and the finance guy (after failing to sell me anything other than the truck itself) said it was the best deal he had seen in months on a Super Duty. This was at one of the largest volume Ford dealers in the US, so that felt pretty good.

The deal didn't happen easily. It was a lot of quotes from different dealerships, finding out the little tricks here and there from folks online, and total luck in part due to a Ford Private Cash Offer of $2,000 (a strange incentive program that you basically fall ass-backwards into). I probably had six months into the whole process by the time I drove my new truck off the lot.

If you want to buy a Ford, and aren't a negotiator or someone who is going to run after the last dollar, then the easiest thing to do is to join the Mustang Club of America. Negligible cost - maybe $30 if I remember right. What that does is give you access to Ford X-Plan pricing. That's invoice price, more or less. Invoice on a pickup isn't awesome historically, but it's as good as you will find right now, short of Ford A-Plan or Z-Plan, which the average person doesn't have access to. There are other organizations that you can join that give access to X-Plan as well. Another one off the top of my head is the AOPA.

Last edited:

Highflyer

That sounds normal for June pricing, not how it is currently unfortunately. You got

Now is the time it pays to have strong relationships. If you buy a lot of vehicles your dealer will take care of you. If you shop 10 different dealers and always buy from the cheapest expect to pay full price.

ICT Sledder

Now is the time it pays to have strong relationships. If you buy a lot of vehicles your dealer will take care of you. If you shop 10 different dealers and always buy from the cheapest expect to pay full price.
That's not how the world works in a very basic sense of economics. Good for mouth-breathing sales goons with LOL level resumes; bad for basic competition that benefits the consumer.

Highflyer

That's not how the world works in a very basic sense of economics. Good for mouth-breathing sales goons with LOL level resumes; bad for basic competition that benefits the consumer.
Then tell me how the world works.

Car dealers have plenty of competition given everything is online.

eagle1

There are dealers still dealing not everyone is asking MSRP for ordered vehicles.
Granger Ford Iowa does 3% UNDER INVOICE (not MSRP) for F150s
Do your build online. Then take to few local dealers and see what there willing to do.
Compare to invoice. I was fine few hundred over to stay local.

shift08

I just recently ordered a truck from Granger. I too built a truck Sent it to 4 local dealers 2 of them which I have Bought multiple vehicles from. The closest dealer was 2 grand more than what I will pay from Granger, I can make the drive for 2 thousand dollars.

goofy600

Crazy thing is I drove past the auto auction just south of Milwaukee and the place was packed with vehicles granted I don’t how many were trucks but as for just vehicles it was packed so why aren’t they on the lots to be sold.

Hoosier

I just saw a report using data from auctions. Supposedly the sales have slowed dramatically in the past couple weeks. No one knows if it's a blip or a trend yet, but perhaps things are starting to level off at least.