Northern/NW Shawano County

Rode all day last Sat (until an issue w/one of the sleds in the group.) Took off from Tilleda and took the J trail to Wittenberg, up to Birnamwood, and stopped at Melody Mill by Aniwa for lunch. Great grub btw. The only lumpy part was Birnamwood to Aniwa, which wasn't a surprise I guess. There's a swamp there that is always rough. Then went back towards Bowler. Sled broke down by Star Campsite (luckily near the road.) 2 stayed there while 2 of us booked it back to Tilleda to get the truck/trailer. A nice ride, despite the sled issue. Trails were good other than the one mentioned. Hats off to the clubs.

Spent last Saturday heading in directions I hadn't been in a few years. Started in Tilleda and took the loop towards town and back over to Lyndhurst. Got on the Mountain Bay and went over by Gresham and then over to Captains Cove. Had lunch at the Thirsty Whale (good food) and was surprised there was hardly anyone there. Had to backtrack from there as the trail only goes there and there's no option for looping. Got back to the mountain bay and headed E towards Thorton and then crossed Hwy 29. Was surprised when going by the Corner Bar it was not open. Also, was displeased the trail had changed and no longer went right behind it. Had to do road riding, which I hate and not great due to the new snow melting fast due to powerful Sun. Rumor also has it that Bar (despite good food) is no longer snowmobiler friendly either. So, guess I can cross it off of my stop list. Anyway, from there headed over to Leopolis for one more pit stop at the Old Ranch House. Not as entertaining as in the distant past, but cordial and plenty of snowmobile traffic. From there back to Tilleda. Unfortunately, there was no base left from the last meltdown. Plenty of snow, however. Just no base. Corn stubble and plowed fields were rough as all get out. Might've rattled some teeth loose. 90% of it had been groomed, though. Just not enough snow to pack it all in smooth. Hats off to the clubs for doing what they can. It's apparently snowing hard in Tilleda now as I typed this according to a local. Should be good another weekend and way better than last due to more snow and more time to groom.

indy_500

Rode out of Tigerton Saturday, headed up to Wittenberg and then West to Elderon, up thru Hatley, before heading northeast to Aniwa and up To Antigo. Ate lunch and headed over to Phlox and down through Mattoon and Bowler before taking the J trail back to Tigerton. Antigo was rough because they were waiting for sleds to pack it in before grooming, the eastern part of my route was decently good, like a 7/10, everything on the western part of the loop into Marathon county was excellent at least a 9/10.

I heard central Shawano cty was shotty at best. Glad I stayed west.

Another 5-6" of new snow in Tilleda with yesterday's snowfall. If the groomers are able to get on it before the weekend, it should fill in the bumpy fields and create a really nice base again. Trails should be great and possibly give us another week or 2 (if mother nature cooperates.)

indy_500

My hopes are the groomers let the sleds pack the new snow down. Otherwise they will wipe a lot of it away and expose more bare spots to let the sun burn it away.

My hopes are the groomers let the sleds pack the new snow down. Otherwise they will wipe a lot of it away and expose more bare spots to let the sun burn it away.
Good point. There is a lot of snow to work with and I would guess there was a lot packed down between Sat and Sun of last weekend. So, the new stuff on top of that should help out a lot. By the looks of the grooming tracker app, it appears a good portion has been done in the past 2 days already.