Northwoods Cabin Owners: Outdoor Power Equipment Recommendation for Newbies

fish633

Fusion has some good points.One of the things locals despise about flatlanders is we expect them to work on our schedule not theirs ....does'nt work like that.It will probably take a year before they warm up to you and begin to trust you.The folks up north are genuinely wonderfull people and will do anything for you with honesty and integrity once they know you.Do i blame them for being so guarded? absolutely not they are just protecting their lifestyle.Last thing they want is someone from 500 miles away dictating how they are going to live,run their towns or any thing else.
4wd is one item you should consider,however don't think that when you visit once or twice a month you will be able to drop the plow and clear it out.Aint happening brother,that only works if you can clean out every couple of days other wise stuck and stuck bad is all your gonna get.
if your bent on doing it yourself then a 4wd tractor with snowblower,not blade or bucket is the only way to go.

parker

All great input from everyone.
Snowblower on Compact is going to be the way that will enable us to handle the majority of chores in all seasons. Existing Drive is one lane lined with tall pines .. gotta get that snow up and away to make room for the rest of the seasons snow falls.
Will meet the neighbors and see about that option 1st since we'll be absentee to start. Maybe trade some drive clearing for hunting priviledges. The budget will dictate I shop for a gently used unit with a loader and snowblower .. and a cab would be nice in case Mrs. Parker is in the mood to move some snow !

snocrazy

trading plowing for hunting privileges.... Same offer stands here !!!

I don't think you will get any takers on that offer. To much open land. **** if you are not there people will hunt on your land and you prob wont even know.

Having the tree lined drive a blower is going to be a must have.

Mr. Parker will be more happy with the enclosed cab more then the Mrs.

parker

I'm a realist and agree kinda hard or impossible to stop the tresspasser while absentee.
Yep ... reality ( and experience ) also agrees that Mr. Parker will be the beneficiary of the Cab deal. Love you dear !

parker

Block heater for sure. Heck, I use block heaters up here on our gasoline powered vans/cars/trucks! IMO - "cold" is an engine's worst enemy.

Diesel gels at certain temp .. so what shall I be prepared to do with a tractor thats been sitting for a couple weeks at a time . It will be inside an unisulated building .. still plenty cold.
Run that additive stuff through the fuel system in the fall before it gets cold ?

soxfan3

Yes. Make sure to run fuel additive in fall. Make sure itractor runs long enough to get additive through the entire system. Then have block heater plugged in, maybe neighbor can run over & plug it in the day before you arrive.

groomerdriver

Diesel gels at certain temp .. so what shall I be prepared to do with a tractor thats been sitting for a couple weeks at a time . It will be inside an unisulated building .. still plenty cold.
Run that additive stuff through the fuel system in the fall before it gets cold ?

There's other folks here more in tune with the diesel stuff. In our groomers (all diesel) we dump in an additive in the wintertime. However, the units do not sit for an extended period.

If you're worried and can find one with a gas engine, go for that. Why worry about such things....life has too much angst in it already.

parker

I've been thinking Diesel based on the benefits the additional torque will provide for all the other chores I will use the machine for going forward with the development of the acreage.
Don't know .. maybe a Gas unit will be sufficient, it will sure eliminate any winter time fuel issues.
We're gonna be newbies at this.

ezra

old tractors are extremely well built and 3pt stuff is cheep. as far as snow I have a guy I call if thinking on heading to the cabin in the winter . do not go up much in winter so usually cost me 35 bucks a push . and I have at least 1000 ft

groomerdriver

I've been thinking Diesel based on the benefits the additional torque will provide for all the other chores I will use the machine for going forward with the development of the acreage.
Don't know .. maybe a Gas unit will be sufficient, it will sure eliminate any winter time fuel issues.
We're gonna be newbies at this.

I did some poking around over the weekend and it looks like most/all (?) of the machines that would fall into the proper size range will be diesel. Equipped with block and fuel tank heaters.....you should be OK.

All good advice here. Yes, a compact diesel can do a lot and cost a bunch when you get the brand specific attachments. Contracting certainly has it's merrits. BUT, how about the MAN factor. The sound of the diesel, the smoke you can make and the dust you create. In the words of Tim the Tool Man Taylor, ARR ARR ARR. LOL.

As my 500 ft drive does not have a home attached yet, I am only practicing my approach to Parker's dilema at home in S. WI. To that, my compact now has a blower because I can't imagine finding a place to go with the snow in a tree lined long drive. I know it gets done but what happens after 100" or more?